EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Here is what I get (trying to duplicate your view).
stationLogos.PNG
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:03 pm

stwarr wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:46 pm Lineup is 'Freeview - Cable (South)'. MCL XL got fully uninstalled and a fresh version of WMC-V8.8.4 was installed afterwards
What are using for the modified theme?
- Gary

stwarr

Post by stwarr » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:06 pm

I do see in your example that all you have is the BBC1 logo on channels that shouldn't
Yes, as mentioned I overwrote every logo filename with the same image to exclude the possibility that the images themselves were the problem. When I do a fresh fetch of all images, I still get the problem.

Also, having gone back and forth with trying to clear and reload the station logos, something is obviously now broken because now I always get an exception from the client if I try and apply any changes:
Capture3.PNG
The attachment Capture1.PNG is no longer available
The attachment Capture3.PNG is no longer available
What are using for the modified theme?
MediaCenterThemer, combined with the Modern8 theme.

stwarr

Post by stwarr » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Capture2.PNG

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:31 pm

Open Task Manager, goto the Details tab, and kill all instances of epg123Client.exe... maybe it will be able to apply again.

Enabling the 'Include Station Logos' option does the following:
1. if a logo does not exist in the \logos folder, will download from SD if available
2. encodes station logo into MXF file
3. WMC will not show the (new) logo until the MXF file has been imported into WMC

To change the logo, just change the image in the \logos folder and run an update and import again to get it into WMC.

I recommend the following:
1. Open the client Tweak GUI and click the [Remove] button to remove all station logos in WMC.
2. Close the client.
3. Delete all logos in the C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\logos folder.
4. Open the client and verify 'Include station logos' is enabled.
5. Click the [Save & Execute] button.
6. If you don't have automatically import option enabled, click the [Manual Import] button to import the new MXF file into WMC.

At this point, you should have all logos that are available.

Note: Any custom logos need to be PNG files.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:54 pm

I see you are using custom logos, are the ones missing not PNG? I always installed MCT with Modern8 to see if that was the problem, but no.
modern8.PNG
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Sorry, I've re-read everything and you have pretty much done everything I have suggested and then some. It is possible that click the [Remove] button in the Tweak GUI will "unstick" those stations. The remove button will clear the URI link to the file as well as empty the byte array of the image in the database. That is the only thing I can think of at the moment other than some other modification in your theme.

I see your logos are bias heavily to the left whereas my tweaks will center them or bias to the right... just a note that your Modern8 theme is not stock.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:47 am

stwarr wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:06 pmCapture2.PNG
I've been able to duplicate this. It is only happening on the machine I installed Media Center Themer on (Win10), but doesn't happen on my other Win10 machine. It was still happening even after I disabled MCT and after I uninstalled it.

I'll investigate further.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:57 am

Some code I added in v1.2.19 was to verify the tuner limit increase tweak had been applied by scanning the UIds of the database and then looking for the TvSignalSetupParams. For some reason, if I scan too many UIds, or maybe some specific Uids, then epg123 will basically lock itself out of doing any modifications of the Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll even though the store is not a part of it.

Either way, I'm going to release a new version to bypass that check and just live without that feature. Too bad too, I really liked that bit of code.
- Gary

stwarr

Post by stwarr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:15 am

I see you are using custom logos, are the ones missing not PNG?
Actually those are all the default logos downloaded by epg123 immediately after deleting the logos directory and clearing the cache, however I did first disable (hide) some of the channels and renumber others (specifically moving the HD channels to the location of their SD equivalents).

I also see that my WMC database includes guide data downloaded directly off-air for all the SD channels, although the epg123 client is showing that it is correctly using its own guide data rather than those streams.

Finally, I see that my tuners have been able to pickup some channels on multiple frequencies from adjacent transmitters.

Is it possible that the channel logos are being associated with the wrong database entries due to one of the above?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 am

stwarr wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:15 am
I see you are using custom logos, are the ones missing not PNG?
Actually those are all the default logos downloaded by epg123 immediately after deleting the logos directory and clearing the cache, however I did first disable (hide) some of the channels and renumber others (specifically moving the HD channels to the location of their SD equivalents).

I also see that my WMC database includes guide data downloaded directly off-air for all the SD channels, although the epg123 client is showing that it is correctly using its own guide data rather than those streams.

Finally, I see that my tuners have been able to pickup some channels on multiple frequencies from adjacent transmitters.

Is it possible that the channel logos are being associated with the wrong database entries due to one of the above?
Ahh, makes sense now. Those are the logos downloaded from Schedules Direct for the HD channels which have been renumbered. Everything is good as far as that goes, then.

The stations you are showing without logos; are those possibly the SD stations that are getting guide data off the stream and not through EPG123? If you look at the details of programs on the stations, does the information appear lacking like no actors/directors, no categories or genres? In the client, if you change the red button from 'Custom Labels' to 'Original Labels', that should make it clearer, maybe.

I believe IT Troll had a heck of a time trying to disable background scanning on DVB transports, if I remember correctly. He might be able to help out here.

Station logos are associated with the call sign of the guide data. So if you assign a BBC1 guide listing to a BBC4 channel, the guide will show the BBC1 guide listings and logo... not BBC4. In other words, the logo will follow the listings wherever it goes.
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:40 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:09 pmI'll probably overwrite 1.2.7 with 1.2.18, clear the cache, and see what happens. If it's that simple, maybe you can fix it programatically?
Yesterday afternoon I opened v1.2.7.0 and pressed the "Clear Cache" button and then extracted v1.2.19 over my existing install. I didn't do a "Save & Execute" and just let the scheduled task run overnight. No errors this morning!

I noticed there was a 1.2.20 update this morning so I extracted it over the 1.2.19 version. :D

Random shower thought -> Would it be possible to check if a newer version was being executed and then perform a "Clear Cache" automatically?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:46 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Random shower thought -> Would it be possible to check if a newer version was being executed and then perform a "Clear Cache" automatically?
Possible, but I want to avoid that whenever possible. It can take some users considerable time to rebuild.

I evidently didn't save my source files for 1.2.7, so couldn't do a compare to see what the differences were with the schedule files. I think this was when I was trying to adapt to a loss of TV ratings in the data.

The corrective action, if needed, is simple though.
- Gary

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:36 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:46 pmThe corrective action, if needed, is simple though.
True dat! :thumbup:

stwarr

Post by stwarr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:23 pm

The stations you are showing without logos; are those possibly the SD stations that are getting guide data off the stream and not through EPG123?
No, all channels are associated w epg123 guide data correctly. This evening I did a clean install and initially all logos came out as expected. I then started reordering channels and replacing some of the logos with custom PNGs, running guide data reloads at various stages to see the new images. At some point, some of the channels starting losing their logos, and no amount of resetting/reloading data will bring them back. There’s something funky going on here somewhere - I’ll try and create a reproducible sequence in the next few days.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:44 am

Try this to see if the logos come back.

In the client, on the left side, click and channel and then keyboard key [Ctrl]+[A] to select all. Right-click the channel and select 'Unsubscribe', and then click the Match by: [# Number] button. The will completely remove all "subscriptions" for all channels and then reassign just the EPG123 lineup listings to the channels again. If it is restored, then we know that something else is trying to take over your listings.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:05 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 amI believe IT Troll had a heck of a time trying to disable background scanning on DVB transports, if I remember correctly. He might be able to help out here.
I just wrote about this very subject in another thread; viewtopic.php?p=133431#p133431

Whilst you can disable background/opportunistic scanning in registry, Media Center will still discover Freeeview channels through network discovery. There is in-band data which announces new/updated channels and Media Center will always processes this if you watch live TV.

By the way, I also run MCT with a customised version of the Modern8. I use MCL XL for logos (mostly for historical reasons) with my own custom logos. I don't have any logo weirdness.
Attachments
EPG123Guide.PNG
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

stwarr

Post by stwarr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 am

In the client, on the left side, click and channel and then keyboard key [Ctrl]+[A] to select all. Right-click the channel and select 'Unsubscribe', and then click the Match by: [# Number] button. The will completely remove all "subscriptions" for all channels and then reassign just the EPG123 lineup listings to the channels again. If it is restored, then we know that something else is trying to take over your listings
For channels I had renumbered, this bulk subscription process seems to have renamed the station callsigns and listings according to the custom number I assigned these channels rather than their original number (ie. so my HD channels now have the same callsigns as the SD channels, and epg123 now thinks this is their 'original' callsigns), but the process did restore the missing logos. After restoring callsigns/numbers from a backup, I can confirm that the unsubscribe/re-subscribe process also works on an individual channel-by-channel basis.

It's unclear what sequence of edits causes the change of listings (am fairly sure that I was only making edits within the epg123 client and running the server refresh), but I'll let you know if I manage to determine a reproducible sequence. The client always displays that the channels are subscribed to the epg123 listings - is there any way for it to display that WMC is actually using OTA data instead so I can determine that a resubscription is required?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 am

stwarr wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 am For channels I had renumbered, this bulk subscription process seems to have renamed the station callsigns and listings according to the custom number I assigned these channels rather than their original number (ie. so my HD channels now have the same callsigns as the SD channels, and epg123 now thinks this is their 'original' callsigns), but the process did restore the missing logos. After restoring callsigns/numbers from a backup, I can confirm that the unsubscribe/re-subscribe process also works on an individual channel-by-channel basis.

It's unclear what sequence of edits causes the change of listings (am fairly sure that I was only making edits within the epg123 client and running the server refresh), but I'll let you know if I manage to determine a reproducible sequence. The client always displays that the channels are subscribed to the epg123 listings - is there any way for it to display that WMC is actually using OTA data instead so I can determine that a resubscription is required?
The bulk subscription process in the GUI will use the number or callsign of whatever is shown at that time. If you want to do the bulk subscription to the original channel numbers, then you would have to click the very subtle [Custom Labels] button highlighted above the list view to change it to "Original Labels". Keep in mind, the custom label is really just to change what is shown in the guide.

Best practice would be to perform the bulk subscription once to the original numbers and then leave that be. You can then add custom numbering to arrange the guide however you like.

One other note: the 'Automatically match...' routine as part of the daily update always uses the original channel number... custom numbers are ignored.
- Gary

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:29 pm

I am suddenly getting a reoccurring error. Been going on for a couple days now.

Beginning epg123 client execution. version 1.2.21.0
[10/26/2019 4:23:15 PM] ===============================================================================
[10/26/2019 4:23:15 PM] [ INFO] Beginning epg123 client execution. 2019-10-26 20:23:15Z
[10/26/2019 4:23:15 PM] [ INFO] Import: True , Match: True , NoLogo: False , Force: False , ShowProgress: True
[10/26/2019 4:23:17 PM] Entering importMxfFile() for file "c:\programdata\garyan2\epg123\output\epg123.mxf"
[10/26/2019 4:24:12 PM] [ INFO] Error: The following error was encountered while processing the file. Aborting.
[10/26/2019 4:24:12 PM] [ INFO] RowSet::DeleteRow(Program_keywords Program_keywordsI_ParentChildKey) - DeleteRows() failed for handle 1 - HR = 0x80040e21, minor = 25104, 2049, 0, 0, "", "", ""
[10/26/2019 4:24:13 PM] [ERROR] Error using loadmxf.exe to import new guide information. Exit code: -1
[10/26/2019 4:24:13 PM] Exiting importMxfFile(). FAILURE.
[10/26/2019 4:24:13 PM] [ERROR] Failed to import .mxf file. Exiting.

Ive tried rebuiding the database and clearing the cache.

I also updated to the latest version

no dice.

Id rather not do a full reset and have to renumber all my channels again.