Channels found in scan but not working in WMC

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
rakosnik

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channels found in scan but not working in WMC

Post by rakosnik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:19 am

I just installed an antenna and I hooked it up to my HD Homerun. I scanned and found a bunch of channels.

Two channels I should be able to get and really want to get, NBC and CW, were detected in the scan. When I click on them they work and the picture looks great. But when I try to tune to them in WMC it says that there isn't a signal.

The funny thing is the opposite happens with PBS. When I click on PBS the picture opens, but the reception isn't great. But when I try to watch it in WMC it comes in crystal clear.

Why is there this difference between watching channels directly and watching them through WMC? Is there anything I can do about it?

Also is there a way to see the signal strength of the various channels I'm getting on my HTPC?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:05 am

The quickest and easiest way to see what is going on is to use the HD Homerun program:
C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe

You can see which tuner is being used and what channel is being tuned with signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality. You can then compare what WMC is tuning to with what HD Homerun is tuning to.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

rakosnik

Post by rakosnik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:34 am

garyan2 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:05 am The quickest and easiest way to see what is going on is to use the HD Homerun program:
C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe

You can see which tuner is being used and what channel is being tuned with signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality. You can then compare what WMC is tuning to with what HD Homerun is tuning to.
I'll try that tonight.

I also wanted to mention I already have a pre-amp installed and last night I used the HD Homerun OTA Roku channel and it was able to tune into both NBC and CW.

rakosnik

Post by rakosnik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Is it possible that WMC is tuning to the wrong channel when it is supposed to be tuning to NBC?

I used the hdhomerun_config_gui and I think that is what is happening. It looks like it is tuning to one thing when NBC works by me just clicking on it through the HD Homerun software. But when it doesn't work in WMC it looks like it is tuning to something else that isn't there.

WMC says it is tunning to 11.1, but I think it is tuning to 10 instead.

If this is the problem, how do I fix it?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Yes, and that is why I recommended the hdhomerun_config_gui to show whether that was the case or not.

If you are using the MS/Rovi guide, then you are at the mercy of their mappings and they may be wrong on what physical channel NBC is on. You can go 'settings->TV->TV Signal->Scan for More Channels' to get the proper tuner setup. You will then probably have to edit the channel source and/or listings to get it working in the guide properly.
- Gary

rakosnik

Post by rakosnik » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:30 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 pm If you are using the MS/Rovi guide, then you are at the mercy of their mappings and they may be wrong on what physical channel NBC is on. You can go 'settings->TV->TV Signal->Scan for More Channels' to get the proper tuner setup. You will then probably have to edit the channel source and/or listings to get it working in the guide properly.
After I completed the TV Signal Scan WMC found the correct NBC channel. However, there isn't any guide data. I just did a successful update of the guide data. However, there still isn't any guide data for the correct NBC channel.

How do I edit the listing to get the guide properly working?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 am

Within WMC, the process is to go to settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels, select the channel without listings and then select 'Edit Listings'. Find and select your NBC listings and do a 'Copy listings....'
- Gary