Unintended channel selection/deselection

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Sstn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unintended channel selection/deselection

Post by Sstn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:00 am

I intend to use keep using WMC in 2 locations so I added one (cable co.) listing source in each zip code. I am now at location 2 so I set listing source 1 to be exclude and checked all the channels. For listing source 2 I set that to include and checked the desired channels. When I go back and look at listing source 1 many of the channels have become unchecked. If I recheck those channels to be excluded then go back to listings 2 I find many different channels have become selected. I don't see any pattern to what is being selected (channel numbers and station names that don't overlap are being added and deleted). I'm missing some basic knowledge of how multiple listing sources are handled and if I can use one schedules direct account to update listings in two different locations. Please advise.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 am

The INCLUDE and EXCLUDE options are for the lineup, not the individual channels. What you are trying to do though is absolutely possible.

In location 1:
Clear all stations for location 2 lineup by clicking the [None] button.
Make sure location 2 lineup is EXCLUDED.
Select all desired station for location 1.
Make sure location 1 lineup is INCLUDED.

In location 2, do the opposite:
Clear all stations for location 1 lineup by clicking the [None] button.
Make sure location 1 lineup is EXCLUDED.
Select all desired station for location 2.
Make sure location 2 lineup is INCLUDED.

For the EXCLUDED lineups at either location, don't worry about the station selection states... they are all ignored.

From the guide concerning station selection behavior:
stationLinks.PNG
stationLinks.PNG (11.15 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sstn

Post by Sstn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks for the clarification on managing listings for 2 locations. Perhaps as a result of poor troubleshooting guesses I'm having trouble getting some selected channels in the SERVER to appear with the proper call sign/number/service name in the CLIENT left side (can see properly in CLIENT right side). I deleted the listings source from the SERVER for the location I'm not at now to simplify troubleshooting. I had the channels working properly before (Fox New Channel, for example) so I know SD has data but it didn't add the call sign/service name on the left. Now the channel number is missing completely from the CLIENT left side and I don't know how to get it back.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Perhaps a clean reinstall is best, but I don't know the right way to do that either. Appreciate some help!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Sstn wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 amI'm not sure how to fix this. Perhaps a clean reinstall is best, but I don't know the right way to do that either. Appreciate some help!
No need for that. You have the ability in the client to map the guide listings on the right side to a guide channel on the left side.

Manually:
Select the guide listing on the right side (left-click)
Right-click the channel to map to on the left side
Select 'Subscribe'

Automatically:
Ensure the lineup you want to use guide listings from is selected on the right side pulldown
Click the Match by: [# Number] button above the channel listings on the left side

That should do it.
clientMapping.png
- Gary

Sstn

Post by Sstn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:30 pm

When I right-click the subscribe and renumber options are both grayed out. The match by number doesn't work either since the number isn't currently on the list on the left. Now I only have one lineup to hopefully get everything working first at this location. When I had 2 lineups, I saw Fox News on the wrong channel number for this location and attempted to delete that but it must have also removed the channel number I need for this location and I don't know how to get it back.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:40 pm

Ah, you deleted the channel... you can manually add the channel back on the left side by clicking the '+' button. Either that or perform a TV Setup in WMC again (if you are missing multiple channels, then this is the route to take).

In order for the 'Subscribe' and 'Renumber' options to be enabled, a channel on the left side selected as well.
- Gary

Sstn

Post by Sstn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:01 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:40 pm Ah, you deleted the channel... you can manually add the channel back on the left side by clicking the '+' button. Either that or perform a TV Setup in WMC again (if you are missing multiple channels, then this is the route to take).

In order for the 'Subscribe' and 'Renumber' options to be enabled, a channel on the left side selected as well.
Success! I used the "+" button. I saw that before but didn't realize that's what I needed since it brings up the 2 tuners, not the listing source. Nevertheless I selected the first tuner and typed in the Fox News channel number. The client crashed (maybe because channel 1109 is too high?) but when I reopened it the channel number was on the right and I was able to match by number and the WMC guide had good data. I added back the lineup for my other location that I don't need here. I selected exclude and unchecked all the channels, rechecked the few common channels affected on the other lineup I use here and everything is working. THANK YOU!!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 pm

Glad to hear it!

The add channel, though it will show and allow you to select individual tuners, will actually add channels to all tuners of the selected source.

I have never found a bullet-proof way of adding a channel within the client. It can sometimes take a while to release the database after adding, and sometimes as you saw, will lock-up/crash the client. Everything does work though, it is just the client having problems with resources at that point.
- Gary

Sstn

Post by Sstn » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:12 am

garyan2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 am The INCLUDE and EXCLUDE options are for the lineup, not the individual channels. What you are trying to do though is absolutely possible.

In location 1:
Clear all stations for location 2 lineup by clicking the [None] button.
Make sure location 2 lineup is EXCLUDED.
Select all desired station for location 1.
Make sure location 1 lineup is INCLUDED.

In location 2, do the opposite:
Clear all stations for location 1 lineup by clicking the [None] button.
Make sure location 1 lineup is EXCLUDED.
Select all desired station for location 2.
Make sure location 2 lineup is INCLUDED.

For the EXCLUDED lineups at either location, don't worry about the station selection states... they are all ignored.

From the guide concerning station selection behavior:
stationLinks.PNG
One more point of clarification...I have everything working properly at location 2. I have Showtime here so it's selected on the location 2 lineup. Next month I will setup the server at location 1 where I don't have a Showtime subscription but the Service Name is also included in that lineup. Do I need to check Showtime in the location 1 listings when I setup the location 1 server so it remains in my guide at location 2? In other words does my Schedules Direct account info determine which channels for each listing source are downloaded or is that determined at the server level which would allow me to not include Showtime in the guide listings for location 1 but have it continue to appear in the location 2 guide? (Location 1 has an HBO subscription but location 2 (where it's currently not in my guide) doesn't so same situation in reverse.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 am

Your schedules direct account only controls the lineups you are subscribed to, not the stations that you download. The lineups are what gives you access to all the stations. The server part of EPG123 controls what stations are downloaded and is specific to that server's epg123.cfg file.

So yes, location 1 can have just HBO, and location 2 can have just Showtime, and neither is aware of the other.
- Gary

Sstn

Post by Sstn » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:38 am

garyan2 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 am Your schedules direct account only controls the lineups you are subscribed to, not the stations that you download. The lineups are what gives you access to all the stations. The server part of EPG123 controls what stations are downloaded and is specific to that server's epg123.cfg file.

So yes, location 1 can have just HBO, and location 2 can have just Showtime, and neither is aware of the other.
Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks!