WMC 8.8.4 for win 10 1903 released

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Speedy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Speedy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:19 pm

technodevotee wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:36 pm Someone on MDL is reporting that WMC won't even start on build 18963.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... st-1543261
It's true; also in the next Insider test compilations. The newest build is 18975, WMC doesn't run.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:29 am

Indeed, that's why posted about needing to look at completely locking down updates on our PCs if we want to continue using WMC.

As you will be aware, Microsoft designated Windows as a Service and want everyone to be running the latest version so they keep adding ways of getting updates on your PC.

It is keeping the utility writers pretty busy keeping up with it.

cornelisH

Post by cornelisH » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 pm

DLL utility fixed everything for me. Running v8.8.3 in win 1903 now with an anysee dvb-c/t tuner. Even the tvarchive service to my server works.

AZDoug

Post by AZDoug » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:43 pm

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.
The live TV on my two V1903 W10 PCs w/ WMC 8.8.3 quit working in the last couple days; they were solid since MAY. When starting live TV from the GUIDE, WMC crashes after displaying a screen showing text of the details of the selected program. WMC also crashes when trying to play a recorded TV program.
These are the same symptoms after installing 8.8.3, and before changing the .DLLs and anything else that was required.

I haven't caught-up on the thread since May, so if a fix is suggested above I'll find it. If not, I'll join-in in trying the latest patches as they arrive.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 pm

almost certainly CPFilters in windows\system32 that needs rolling back.

my WMC_Multi_tool should help https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qrtknqhjg7pc ... l.zip?dl=1

AZDoug

Post by AZDoug » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:29 pm

I checked that. The created date on the file is the same as the copy I stashed away, i.e. 5/xx/19

I'll give the WMC multi tool a try.

OOPs, Spoke too soon! The file on my wife's PC had changed to 9/12/19. The file on my PC didn't change (at least that was my conclusion). WMC on that PC hasn't been used in a long time, so there could be a different reason, although the symptoms are the same.

AZDoug

Post by AZDoug » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Replacing the CPFilters.dll in System32 fixed the problem in my wife's PC. I'll run it on mine later!!
Many thanks for your help.

KarterJK

Post by KarterJK » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:25 am

pbcopter wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:08 pm
KarterJK wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 am Well, I tried this and it wouldn't work, at least not the TV portion (it's all I tried)
I have never once gotten any of these to function properly in windows 10.

I have 2 HD HomeRun Prime Tuners and it didn't detect them. unless there is some miracle cure, I don't think this will ever work
Have you installed the HDHomerun software?
I have no issues with Windows 10 and the Prime tuners
Sorry to reply so late.
Yes if you are referring to Windows software, NOT the Windows 10 app.

I can use the HD HomeRun VIEW software and it works so the drivers are there, they just weren't recognized by WMC
it is just when I try to set it up in WMC it won't let me because it can not detect tuner cards

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:18 am

KarterJK wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:25 am I can use the HD HomeRun VIEW software and it works so the drivers are there, they just weren't recognized by WMC
it is just when I try to set it up in WMC it won't let me because it can not detect tuner cards
If you look at the driver information for the tuner in device manager do you have BdaSup.sys listed like this:
Untitled.png
?

KarterJK

Post by KarterJK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 am

technodevotee wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:18 am
KarterJK wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:25 am I can use the HD HomeRun VIEW software and it works so the drivers are there, they just weren't recognized by WMC
If you look at the driver information for the tuner in device manager do you have BdaSup.sys listed like this:Untitled.png?
As a matter of fact no I don't have anything listed like that
but yours is Hauppage not HD HomeRun Prime, even my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machines don't have that listed to make it functional

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:18 am

I don't know anything about HD Homerun but given that there's not many people responding, I thought I'd try and help.

My understanding is that WMC only works with BDA devices so unless there is a bda driver for the tuner somewhere I don't see how it is going to work.

I have four different types of tuner and have also installed DVBLink and every one installed a driver that appeared in device manager with a corresponding entry in the registry settings for WMC.

You said the driver was installed so unless it is installing a plug in or fooling WMC somehow, it ought to show up somewhere in device manager.

I assume that you have gone through the procedure on the SD website?

Code: Select all

Windows Media Center reports No tuners found when trying to complete TV setup - HDHomeRun PRIME 

Open HDHomeRun Setup and verify that the tuners are found and that no UPnP error is received.
Open Control Panel, select View network status and tasks, and make sure the network is listed as Home/Private network.
Click on Change advanced sharing settings.
Verify that Turn on network discovery is selected, and click Save Changes if needed.
Open Computer Management (right click on Computer, choose Manage) and click on Services in the left column.
Verify that the SSDP Discovery Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Verify that the HDHomeRun Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Verify that the Windows Media Center Receiver Service is not Disabled, and is Started.
Close the Services Management window.
Open Command Prompt as Administrator (Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator).
Run: 
c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery
The command must be typed exactly as shown. Anything that is already present in the command prompt window should be ignored. Just type in the above command. This should list the HDHomeRun PRIME tuners.
Reopen Windows Media Center and access the TV setup wizard again.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:48 pm

At one point I actually got a newer build of windows 10 to actually recognise my tuners in the command line interface for occur discovery but I still got a no tuners found message in the wmc tuner setup. I know there are some automated tasks in the tsk manager for wmc that are specifically for tuner discovery but I never messed with them. Ocur discovery requires playready 2 which is why tuner discovery broke when Ms upgraded windows to playready 3. I always wondered if there was a way to point wmc to the tuners instead of relying on network auto discovery protocols but I never got it to work. There is also a http streaming interface for hdhr primes that doesn't seem to rely on occur but I never tried that either.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

@jachin99, I take it you're running an old version of Windows then?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 pm

I'm not using Windows Media Center at the moment. I'm trying to move away to something that is still supported but if I ever move, or my channels get DRM'D then I'll need to go back, and for whatever reason I'm still the most fascinated by WMC. I even have some family that might try it out so I try to keep up with it. When I did run it I only used Win 7 and XB 360s. I'm convinced that I could somehow make this work with enough time and effort but I'm not working on it at the moment. I remember I got occur discovery to succeed by transplanting registry values from Win 7 with live TV already setup to Win 10. I'm kind of peeking around these threads looking for someone who is motivated to expand on what I figured out so far and make it work.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I've just installed hdhomerun_windows_20190621 and looking at HDHomeRun Setup I notice that there is an option to select the compatibility mode.
Annotation 2019-09-16 173055.png
I assume this is set correctly?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:35 pm

jachin99 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 pm I'm not using Windows Media Center at the moment. I'm trying to move away to something that is still supported but if I ever move, or my channels get DRM'D then I'll need to go back, and for whatever reason I'm still the most fascinated by WMC. I even have some family that might try it out so I try to keep up with it. When I did run it I only used Win 7 and XB 360s. I'm convinced that I could somehow make this work with enough time and effort but I'm not working on it at the moment. I remember I got occur discovery to succeed by transplanting registry values from Win 7 with live TV already setup to Win 10. I'm kind of peeking around these threads looking for someone who is motivated to expand on what I figured out so far and make it work.
I am increasing concerned that we won't be able to keep WMC going much longer without freezing the OS at an appropriate time.

I have been using it since launch and have tried most of the other offerings but keep coming back to it.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:10 pm

The bda compatibility mode in HDHR setup doesn't have much to do with whether or not WMC can detect the tuner but I can't tell you exactly what that is for. I know the HDHR WMC service is for constantly pointing WMC to the tuners. If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you can find more info. https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... lit=sammy2 .

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 pm

So, there are no drivers and no virtual tuners but I did notice that it puts some filters in the folder it creates in program files and a ton of registry entries are added.

From a brief look at the software, website and forum, it looks like it is all done using HTTP or RTSP. My guess would be that the communication between the receiver and the software uses some sort of proprietary protocol and the client allows you to configure the stream and control mechanism to suite whatever application you need to use.

No idea whatever how you configure WMC to use it as it certainly ain't anything like I've encountered.

Sorry @KarterJK, looks like you're going to have to hope that an expert comes along.

mwpeterson

Post by mwpeterson » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:18 pm

The last version of Windows 10 on which cablecard tuners like the HDHomerun Prime worked with WMC was 1511. Specifically 10586.589, then Microsoft ended support for Playready 2.*.

The HDHomerun Prime works on the current version of Windows 10 with DVBLink. It needs the DVBLink server and DVBLink for IPTV. However, you will lose any channels with DRM.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am

I bet dvblink uses the http interface of the primes. I bet it's actually possible to view cablecard channels even without dvblink or even live TV setup. You can actually add any video web link you want to the extras or even start menu, and the primes provide a web link for every channel. All you would have to do is register the link in the start menu, which isn't too hard. I'm wondering if you wouldn't even have to replace all files or video filters when streaming web video. Of course you wouldn't have a TV guide or any of that but it would be a simple proof of concept.