Tivo bringing AUTOMATIC commercial skip

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tivo bringing AUTOMATIC commercial skip

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:18 pm

https://zatznotfunny.com/2019-04/tivo-a ... is-spring/

OK, this will cement my move from WMC to Tivo.

I like my automatic commercial skip. It's not 100% perfect, but I really like it. Tivo does hand-built commercial markers, by humans; therefore, they are 100% accurate. If the interface lets me say, "just do it," then superb.

Yes, it's for only a handful of popular shows on popular networks. But my need for recording anymore is prime time OTA--and this Tivo covers.

We'll see how this actually rolls out.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 pm

The commercial skip button on the Tivo remote works really well.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:08 am

...except, it's not automatic.

Until you've had the pleasure of sitting back and watching, hands off, you won't understand.

ReplayTV had it knocked, and my WMC setup with ShowAnalyzer is almost as good. It's one reason I've stuck with WMC.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:07 pm

adam1991 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:18 pm https://zatznotfunny.com/2019-04/tivo-a ... is-spring/

OK, this will cement my move from WMC to Tivo.

I like my automatic commercial skip. It's not 100% perfect, but I really like it. Tivo does hand-built commercial markers, by humans; therefore, they are 100% accurate. If the interface lets me say, "just do it," then superb.

Yes, it's for only a handful of popular shows on popular networks. But my need for recording anymore is prime time OTA--and this Tivo covers.

We'll see how this actually rolls out.
You don't use MCEbuddy ?
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:17 pm

I use ShowAnalyzer to mark commercials and DTB to do the skipping.

john321

Post by john321 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:21 pm

If this is true, I will replace my MCE system with Tivo in a heartbeat! I have been waiting for the vaporware from Silicondust for WAY TOO LONG.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:23 pm

According to my brother, Tivo has enabled this feature.

I am browsing my Tivo options.

john321

Post by john321 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Tivo equipment is overpriced. But I am tired of waiting for the Silicondust DVR to be able to record DRM content.

If Tivo can automatically skip commercials, this is a Silicondust-killer.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:57 pm

TiVo can skip commercials for only certain shows because a human has to manually set where the commercials are. So yes, it can skip commercials, and for the ones it does, tends to be very accurate, however depending on what shows you watch, you may not get many that skip commercials. I've also read that it can be inconsistent even for the same show, sometimes it has skip data, sometimes not. You also have to wait a certain amount of time after the show airs for someone to mark the commercials (not sure what time frame this is).

In any case, it seems like an unsustainable solution to me, and I would guess that most of the shows I record are not popular enough to have someone mark the commercials. But I've never used it, so this is all just supposition on my part as I have not researched it very much.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 pm

john321 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:16 pm Tivo equipment is overpriced.
Not for OTA it's not.

OTA prime time shows, accurately marked for skip and available the next day--what's not to like.

Of course, if the content owners would get their heads out of their butts and acknowledge how we like to consume their product today, they would simply make this all available via Hulu and be done with it.

Seriously--so much of the OTA content I watch today is available on Hulu at 4am the next day, without commercials (I pay the extra three or four bucks a month for that level of service). My WMC is pretty much down to recording CBS shows, Bull, and The Blacklist. Maybe one or two other things, I can't remember.

But they continue to think their product is made of unobtanium and that people will put up with the obstacles they put in place for watching it. WMC is one weapon, Tivo is another, and there are plenty of other weapons against all that. If the content owners think they can win the arms race, they're fooling themselves.

I would happily pay Hulu maybe six bucks a month extra for the no ads level of service, if I could get the rest of the content. Make it easy, make it reasonably priced, and I will pay it. But the content owners do not make it easy, and at some level that leads to the ultimate weapon: theft. All because the content owners are not content with getting a dime, and instead continue to demand getting a dollar. Hmmmmmm....a dime from a thousand people, or a dollar from a dozen people....

john321

Post by john321 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:46 am

adam1991 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 pm
john321 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:16 pm Tivo equipment is overpriced.
Not for OTA it's not.

OTA prime time shows, accurately marked for skip and available the next day--what's not to like.

Of course, if the content owners would get their heads out of their butts and acknowledge how we like to consume their product today, they would simply make this all available via Hulu and be done with it.

Seriously--so much of the OTA content I watch today is available on Hulu at 4am the next day, without commercials (I pay the extra three or four bucks a month for that level of service). My WMC is pretty much down to recording CBS shows, Bull, and The Blacklist. Maybe one or two other things, I can't remember.

But they continue to think their product is made of unobtanium and that people will put up with the obstacles they put in place for watching it. WMC is one weapon, Tivo is another, and there are plenty of other weapons against all that. If the content owners think they can win the arms race, they're fooling themselves.

I would happily pay Hulu maybe six bucks a month extra for the no ads level of service, if I could get the rest of the content. Make it easy, make it reasonably priced, and I will pay it. But the content owners do not make it easy, and at some level that leads to the ultimate weapon: theft. All because the content owners are not content with getting a dime, and instead continue to demand getting a dollar. Hmmmmmm....a dime from a thousand people, or a dollar from a dozen people....
Adam,

The last time I looked at Tivo equipment, they did not have the BOLT line of products. They were expensive and they even charged $10.00/month for each "mini" you have. Now, the new mini doesn't come with a monthly subscription... so it's just the monthly subscription for the main DVR.

And since I have two 3-tuner SD PRIME's, I'll save $13.00/month when I return one of the cable cards to Comcast ($3.00 for the card, plus $10.00 "extra outlet fee").

I think I'm going to pull the trigger. The only hangup is the max 1TB drive. I did a lot of reading on the tivo community forums and decided to mod the BOLT DVR with an external WD Red 5400RPM 4TB 3.5" drive connected to the BOLT's internal SATA port, because the eSATA doesn't work with anything except the old WD 1TB "DVR expander", which is no longer manufactured.

I'm just about to click the "checkout" button on the Tivo site...

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:19 am

When I wrote that, I had the Roamio OTA in mind--which was available inexpensively, and which included lifetime guide service for the price.

Let's see what happens as they introduce the Edge.

Weaknees might be your friend.

I'm also awaiting the long-promised Fire TV app, which would obviate the need for Mini units at remote TVs.

john321

Post by john321 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:39 am

adam1991 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:19 am Let's see what happens as they introduce the Edge.

Weaknees might be your friend.
I didn't know about the Edge until you mentioned it. Looks great.

Weaknees charges way too much for modded Tivo equipment. I can do it myself for a lot less $$$.

I ordered the Bolt Vox 6-tuner CableCARD box with 1TB of storage, and two Mini Vox's... plus all the parts I will need to upgrade to 4TB of "internal" storage (it will actually be on an external 3.5" drive, and will require me to use some free software to format the drive properly).

TBH, I am thinking about buying a Mini-ITX enclosure, and mounting the guts of the Bolt inside, along with the 3.5" HDD... so that I don't need an external drive enclosure... and also eliminating the "curved" design of the Bolt (which I don't like). This will also give me better airflow for cooling (which, according to many threads on tivocommunity.com, is a big problem with the Bolt).

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:40 am

That's a superb idea. I will have to keep that in mind.

For the OTA users, I think Weaknees still sells the Roamio OTA with lifetime service. $350. Not a bad deal at all. That's why it pays to know about Weaknees.

john321

Post by john321 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:15 am

For anyone who cares, I found a better way to mod a Tivo Bolt/Edge DVR. I'm currently running a Tivo BOLT with 5TB of storage. It is possible to run a BOLT or EDGE with up to 12TB of storage.

john321

Post by john321 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:16 am

Search for my posts in the Tivo forums. My username there is "barnabas1969".

Ha! Imagine that! I'm still providing useful information here on TGB even after STC banned me!

john321

Post by john321 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:56 am

And I'm still here. And my Tivo is still running.

I'm planning to combine the internal 1TB drive and the 4TB external drive into a single 6TB drive soon! Tivo forums have all the info you need.

Hey, STC... how are you?