WIN7 MC compatible dell laptops?

AllIn7MC

HTPC Specs: Show details

WIN7 MC compatible dell laptops?

Post by AllIn7MC » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:23 am

I've had WMC on a small dell laptop (dell vostro v131) for years + HDHomerun Prime, and it has been great, but I want to get a backup laptop.

I've purchased an E7450, but that must have a DisplayPort connection and WMC won't display protected content on it.

I'm partial to the Dell refurbs: https://www.dellrefurbished.com/laptops

Can anyone tell me if WMC for win7 works on any of those?

Thanks!

RedWMC

Post by RedWMC » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 pm

I think the only considerations you need to take if you are using windows 7 is that:
1. The device has drivers for Windows 7 ( support.dell.com)
2. The device has an HDMI port (for your display port issues you encountered)

One other thing to note is Windows 7 support (security updates and such) end January 1 2020. Not sure what that will mean for WMC and their guide (although you can get an alternative guide). But I’d expect something might happen to WMC on either that date or when windows 8 the last of WMC supported is goes end of life. At a minimum your operating system will be more vulnerable to security issues.

Just something to think about if you are really considering staying with WMC. Only time will tell though.
viewtopic.php?t=11824

AllIn7MC

Post by AllIn7MC » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:49 am

Thanks. Win8 EOL for extended support is 2023, I'm willing to bet* WMC is fine until at least then, although I do have some concerns as to when cablecards will no longer be supported. I already run the alternative guide.

My vostro has an HDMI port, so I will look for that. Too bad that displayport won't work...my last couple of desktop graphics cards have only come with one HDMI or DVI port.

*the price of a $250 laptop

I'm not concerned about win7 EOL for an entertainment only laptop.

I'm still hoping the silicon dust kickstarter pays off for protected content recording, but it is looking more and more likely that the typical consumer's method of obtaining media will involve less traditional cable TV service and more streaming. I'm riding that cable TV service into the sunset though... :)

AllIn7MC

Post by AllIn7MC » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Just to follow up, the recent laptop I bought has an HMDI out connector (but I suspect Displayport for the main screen), so just looking for that port is not a sure means to determine if the main screen will work.