Guide Data Outage - 2019 Summer Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by foxwood » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:22 pm

stevethebrain wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:35 am very disappointed to hear that win7 MC won't be supported in January
Windows Media Center isn't supported today, and it's status will not change when the Extended Support for Windows 7, Service Pack 1 ends in January 2020.

Windows Media Center will continue to run as long as you choose to let it run. Even if Microsoft stops providing EPG data, WMC will continue running, and anyone who cares can use an alternative EPG, because WC is not dependent on Microsoft's EPG.

loueber

Post by loueber » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:07 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:35 pm
loueber wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:52 pmwould be cool if we could get WMC to play 4k
Here's a post by DavidinCT explaining how he was able to Run Windows Media Center @ 2160p/4K.

EDIT: You may also want to look at the Modern Media UI application to help with automatically setting the resolution.
Thank you my good man!!!!!
my next project!

loueber

Post by loueber » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:08 pm

foxwood wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:22 pm
stevethebrain wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:35 am very disappointed to hear that win7 MC won't be supported in January
Windows Media Center isn't supported today, and it's status will not change when the Extended Support for Windows 7, Service Pack 1 ends in January 2020.

Windows Media Center will continue to run as long as you choose to let it run. Even if Microsoft stops providing EPG data, WMC will continue running, and anyone who cares can use an alternative EPG, because WC is not dependent on Microsoft's EPG.
what about issues with Play ready? if MS stops support of play ready updates then then a future install will never complete even IF we get a guide working...No? ?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 pm

PlayReady isn't needed for OTA and the install packages for both PlayReady and Digital Cable Advisor are both available for download from MS.

Code: Select all

https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/4/7/2470874B-ADAD-40A6-9D2A-5AA645BA8E7A/PlayReadyPC_x86.msi
https://download.microsoft.com/download/C/B/A/CBAB556B-13E3-4F16-AF77-476AA0769F3B/PlayReadyPC_x64.msi
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/1/F/61F3AA51-1A7B-432E-B2C5-B976CBEA914E/digitalcableadvisorsetup_x86.msi
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/1/F/61F3AA51-1A7B-432E-B2C5-B976CBEA914E/digitalcableadvisorsetup_x64.msi
When doing a TV Setup and it asks to install PlayReady, you can say no and then run the installer afterwards.
Last edited by garyan2 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

loueber

Post by loueber » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 pm PlayReady isn't needed for OTA and the install packages for both PlayReady and Digital Cable Advisor are both available for download from MS.

Code: Select all

https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/4/7/2470874B-ADAD-40A6-9D2A-5AA645BA8E7A/PlayReadyPC_x86.msi
https://download.microsoft.com/download/C/B/A/CBAB556B-13E3-4F16-AF77-476AA0769F3B/PlayReadyPC_x64.msi
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/1/F/61F3AA51-1A7B-432E-B2C5-B976CBEA914E/digitalcableadvisorsetup_x86.msi
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/1/F/61F3AA51-1A7B-432E-B2C5-B976CBEA914E/digitalcableadvisorsetup_x64.msi
When doing a TV Setup and it asks to install PlayReady, you can say no and then run the installer afterwards.
AWESOME! thanks

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:21 pm

Hmmm, the first new update after the outage loaded a non-corrupted guide (with the exception of episodes I already recorded being set to record again), however the second update from this morning just "corrupted" one of the shows I have set to record. This is similar corruption to what was seen before the outage.

Originally, the entry was for "The Great Food Truck Race" (airing tonight), after the last update, it was changed to "Special - Alex Scott: A Stand For Hope 2019". All the other data for the entry seems to not have been changed (it still reflects the "The Great Food Truck Race" episode), and the show is still scheduled to record under the "The Great Food Truck Race" Series.

Hopefully this won't continue, because having a bunch of recordings with an incorrect show name can get real confusing really quickly and they are not grouped under the Series that recorded them in WMC, they are grouped by the name of the show, and if the name is wrong, they will not be grouped with the other episodes of the Series.

rakosnik

Post by rakosnik » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:03 am

I still do not have updated guide data. My guide data ran out Wednesday, June 26th. My father lives 5 miles away from me. He has the same cable provider and he got guide data a couple of days ago.

I've tried manually updating the guide data in WMC several times, but I haven't gotten anything. Sometimes it says it is already updating the guide data hours after I manually tried to update the guide data.

I've setup a few repeating manual recordings. That doesn't have anything to do with not getting the guide data, does it?

What do you recommend I do to get the guide data that everyone else now seems to be getting?

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:51 am

From a command prompt, run "start /wait c:\windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc" and wait for it to complete.

This will run garbage collection on the WMC database and may clear any issues that might exist.

After this completes you can try to download the guide again.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:43 am

Space wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:21 pm Hmmm, the first new update after the outage loaded a non-corrupted guide....
YES! :)

And all the Thumbnails are correct again,too. :)

Only thing missing is the Star Ratings for Movies. I haven'y seen them for five yeas now. :(

garyan2, ty again for the great info!

garyan2, what 2020 protocol is there?

bencjedi

Post by bencjedi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Help! I had messed up my Win7 WMC HDPrime PC by upgrading to RDP8 a few weeks ago and the Xbox360 media center extenders would not connect reliably without first rebooting the PC (yeah big mistake upgrading remote desktop). Anyhow I had an image of the system from December 2016, however it was taken BEFORE I had setup WMC and my CableCard; and now I am trying to go through the setup process however the "Invalid application: unable to launch" error comes up in the Digital Cable Advisor. I downloaded the latest one and installed it, but same thing. I found the script for OverrideDigitalCableAdvisor.cmd and ran it too, but still get that error when I launch it. I don't think I am supposed to be able to use the digital cable advisor part of WMC, even with that script right? Anyhow if I go through the TV setup\TV Signals I successfully downloaded PlayReady in WMC, but am failing the Windows Activation part. I have a couple legit purchased copies of Windows 7 and tried both product keys.. still failed! I am suspicious one of the automatic updates that applied after I restored the image, but am not aware of what patch might be interfering. How can I get my WMC back up? Is the activation server down at Microsoft?

EDIT: Ok closed WMC, re-opened, still "invalid application" for the Cable Advisor, but this time the Windows Activation part work on the pre-filled product key that was there. Looks like the activation server at Microsoft might be "hit or miss" at this point. If you intend to build a clean machine and capture an image I would recommend you do it when this is working. I will be making a new system image.

Billyray520

Post by Billyray520 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:08 pm

foxwood wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:22 pm

But what about DRM? Will that continue after January? Recording shows is the main reason for WMC (for me at least.) Sprectrum here has EVERYTHING scrambled, even broadcast, with copyprotection on everything as well.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:43 amgaryan2, what 2020 protocol is there?
My 2020 is going to look pretty much the same as my 2019. Nothing magical is going to happen when Win7 support ends. Everything is still going to work. This is being treated like it is 1999 and worried about Y2K, and yet the result will be the same which is a lot of hype and not much to see. Another reference is with Geraldo Rivera and Al Capone's vaults.

I think I just dated myself, there.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

billmich

Post by billmich » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:38 pm

so was this "outage" any worse than previous ones?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:19 pm
Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:43 amgaryan2, what 2020 protocol is there?
My 2020 is going to look pretty much the same as my 2019. Nothing magical is going to happen when Win7 support ends. Everything is still going to work. This is being treated like it is 1999 and worried about Y2K, and yet the result will be the same which is a lot of hype and not much to see. Another reference is with Geraldo Rivera and Al Capone's vaults.

Preach it, brother.

But always remember the rule of the internet age: there's huge money to be made catering to the insecurities and OCD of the general public...

(I'll never forget Y2K, specifically the week before. In my local newspaper was an article about all the panic, featuring a local large law firm where the IT director set up what amounted to a "panic room" complete with candles and a manual typewriter, so they could stay in business--"just in case". The photo was to die for.)

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:07 pm

cool. ty! :)

i'll count to 100. then from 10 to zero; like when i saw Apollo 11 take off.
and stop holding my breath, like when i saw it landing on the Moon.;)

jimij1000

Post by jimij1000 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:36 pm

adam1991 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Preach it, brother.

But always remember the rule of the internet age: there's huge money to be made catering to the insecurities and OCD of the general public...

(I'll never forget Y2K, specifically the week before. In my local newspaper was an article about all the panic, featuring a local large law firm where the IT director set up what amounted to a "panic room" complete with candles and a manual typewriter, so they could stay in business--"just in case". The photo was to die for.)
In 1999 I had to manual update the bios on 250 plus PC's!! Overtime Cha-ching )

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 pm

We have a poltergeist in the system. That's my explanation for this new phenomena and I'm sticking with it.

I record Jane the Virgin series. Went to watch last Wednesday's (26th) episode - which was listed the night it was recorded, but it was no longer there. What *was* in my listing however, was something I never heard of: DEUS & MERO (in all caps). I played it. Jane the Virgin.

Last night I recorded the new HBO series Years and Years. I still hadn't watched the premiere from the previous Monday (24th),so as it recorded it just added to the series count. But this morning, only one show was listed - the one recorded last night. Where was the premiere? Went through the list and saw something called Babyfirst Club. Say what? Played it. Years and Years premiere.

Both shows are series. Both had episodes recorded just before the guide was fixed - and those were the ones retitled AFTER recording correctly!

If anyone has an alternative suggestions to ghosts, I'd love to hear it. :) Rovi has been informed.

SugarFree

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Space wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:51 am From a command prompt, run "start /wait c:\windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc" and wait for it to complete.
I've been affected by the outage on Win 7 using a Ceton InfiniTV 4 and unfortunately still can't get guide data for Spectrum cable. I'm hoping someone might recognize a step I've missed.

At first I just tried downloading new guide data but that didn't work. So, I tried running "Setup TV Signal" again, but it just hung at "Downloading TV Setup Data."
I tried different ZIP codes to no avail. So, I tried an old trick from when Bright House converted to Spectrum: using the Ceton InfiniTV diagnostics tool, I cleared the tuner configuration and re-discovered. Then, I re-ran setup and unfortunately it still hangs at downloading TV setup data.

So, I tried running the above command line (starting with c: because Windows didn't like the "start /wait" part) and although I didn't see anything on the screen, after waiting a while I re-ran setup again to no avail or change.

Any ideas?

notecgirl

Post by notecgirl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:18 am

SugarFree wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 pm We have a poltergeist in the system. That's my explanation for this new phenomena and I'm sticking with it.

I record Jane the Virgin series. Went to watch last Wednesday's (26th) episode - which was listed the night it was recorded, but it was no longer there. What *was* in my listing however, was something I never heard of: DEUS & MERO (in all caps). I played it. Jane the Virgin.

Last night I recorded the new HBO series Years and Years. I still hadn't watched the premiere from the previous Monday (24th),so as it recorded it just added to the series count. But this morning, only one show was listed - the one recorded last night. Where was the premiere? Went through the list and saw something called Babyfirst Club. Say what? Played it. Years and Years premiere.

Both shows are series. Both had episodes recorded just before the guide was fixed - and those were the ones retitled AFTER recording correctly!

If anyone has an alternative suggestions to ghosts, I'd love to hear it. :) Rovi has been informed.

SugarFree
I'm good with ghost! On June 15th, I recorded Trisha's Southern Kitchen except it showed up as a show titled Verified Videos - okay, it did that on the same day. In May, I recorded Masterchef Celebrity Family Showdown and it's been listed under Masterchef Celebrity Family Showdown since then. I looked at my recorded shows today and there alphabetically is listed a show I know I didn't set up to record "crimen bajo cero" - what the? Translated that to "crime below zero" on google. Open it and nope it's Masterchef CFS - parts 1 and 2. Dodododo - a little Twilight Zone happening here! I know nothing about this computer taping stuff but this is just weird - ghosts!

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:56 pm

notecgirl wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:18 am
SugarFree wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 pm We have a poltergeist in the system. That's my explanation for this new phenomena and I'm sticking with it.

SugarFree
I'm good with ghost! On June 15th, I recorded Trisha's Southern Kitchen except it showed up as a show titled Verified Videos - okay, it did that on the same day. In May, I recorded Masterchef Celebrity Family Showdown and it's been listed under Masterchef Celebrity Family Showdown since then. I looked at my recorded shows today and there alphabetically is listed a show I know I didn't set up to record "crimen bajo cero" - what the? Translated that to "crime below zero" on google. Open it and nope it's Masterchef CFS - parts 1 and 2. Dodododo - a little Twilight Zone happening here! I know nothing about this computer taping stuff but this is just weird - ghosts!
humor is priceless for stressing out.

and i'm just happy after all the stress, the EPG outage is over.

if a little Petergeist or watever happens, it's fine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWST32TktcM

:D