WMC 8.1 media center Live TV Copy Protection issue

williaml99

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 8.1 media center Live TV Copy Protection issue

Post by williaml99 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:39 pm

I have two Intel NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH. 8GB RAM I5 and ssd.
Identical units

Two HDhomerun prime Motorola cablecards Mediacom cable provider. Firmware up to date.

Unit 1 been running win 7 ultimate for 2 ½ years WMC can watch all copy protected channels I subscribe to.
Unit 2 has been freshly formatted with clean install of windows 8.1 Pro from MS. Twice formatted and started over. Using my legit Action Pack key for W8.1. I had many of the free upgrade MC keys for W8.1. Of course those don’t work.
Installed WMC-V13_x64 On one of the attempts DCA worked and on the other had to do override command. In both cases can watch PBS, golf channel but not Fox sports Midwest. Get the Copy Protection error. On the first build did every kind of DRM reset I could find. Formatted the HD and started over. I guess it has to be W8.1 or the build of WMC I downloaded? I have burnt a whole weekend 😊 Been using WMC since XP.

Behavior of HD homerun setup app and settings the same on both units.

I was thinking that going to W8.1 with support until 2023 is not a totally bad idea. Of course I’m getting my rear handed to me. I would probably give $200 for a legitimate key for WMC 8.1 and call it a day.

I need to go on a 12 step program but want to watch and record the St. Louis Cardinals on Fox Midwest Sports. Channel 832 on our Mediacom. Not ready fot TIVO or Recorder from Mediacom just yet. I watch and record other HD cannels as well.

Is there another build I should try? Any suggestions?

Because using the WMC-V13_x64 put in Windows 10 group. If this needs to be in the 8.1 WMC group please move to.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:48 pm

There has always been some confusion about the version numbers attached to these installers and I may actually have made that worse.

The reason I wanted to build a hybrid version of the original installer is because it will run full screen in a Remote Desktop session. It was never intended to be 'the latest version' because it is basically the original installer modified so that it can be installed on the latest versions of Windows 10.

As such, V13 suffers from some of the problems that were present in V12 whereas V8.8.3 has been developed much further and works better in some respects.

Currently though, irrespective of which version you install, on Windows 10 version 1903, it is necessary to replace DLLs in system32 to get it to work properly.

I created some scripts to fix some of the issues that were being seen in Windows 10 and made them available for download to use with any version.

Then I made my V13 installers available and included my fixes with them and that is the main reason I put it in the Windows 10 section.

The other reason is that I haven't used Windows 8.1 for donkeys' years and didn't know if V13 even installed on Windows 8.1 until a few days ago.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about homerun, cablecards or DRM so I can't help you with that. Hopefully someone who does will pitch in.

williaml99

Post by williaml99 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:24 pm

Very much appreciate your reply. As far as I can tell this is as good a version as any to try on 8.1. Look forward to suggestions from others who might have a clue. Thanks again.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:47 pm

williaml99 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:24 pm Very much appreciate your reply. As far as I can tell this is as good a version as any to try on 8.1. Look forward to suggestions from others who might have a clue. Thanks again.
You are welcome.

However, I'm sure you are aware that Microsoft 'killed' the DRM needed for cablecards to work in Windows 10 quite a while ago and people who need it are either stuck on an ancient version of Windows 10 or are staying away from Windows 10 completely to keep their cablecards running.

For that reason, I suspect you may be better off asking for help in the Windows 8 section or posting something on the My Digital Life Forums.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:22 am

williaml99 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:39 pm Because using the WMC-V13_x64 put in Windows 10 group. If this needs to be in the 8.1 WMC group please move to.
Topic moved. Duplicate thread deleted.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

williaml99

Post by williaml99 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:02 pm

An Update and more details

When trying to view Fox Sports Mid West > This has never gone away. Works like it should with Windows 7.
Copying Prohibited. The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded, DRM Error

I would get this occasionally on some other channels. Turns out HDMI was plugged into a port labeled HDPC 2.2. Chose a port that was not labeled so and it was much better but not totally consistent.
Display driver error – the video playback device does not support playback of protected content.

When i think back to the days of upgrading from W7 to W8, I don't remember having that much problems. Those were mainly in place upgrades probably, long time ago.

I will use the NUC that I have W7 on as long as I can.

I am not sure if I am up for a long fight of getting WMC 7 or 8 going on the second NUC. Getting a stable fully patched win 8 box was more problematic than I thought and WMC even worse. :) I asked for it.

I really appreciate this online community. I will be weighing my options.

Thanks

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:00 pm

I've had problems with the HDMI cable and the HDMI port being a bit "loose", both of these have caused the HDCP error. So try using another HDMI cable just in case.
Last edited by Space on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

williaml99

Post by williaml99 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Good thought, I'll give that a try.