Windows 10 Media Center with Webtv

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
bbarnard01

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 10 Media Center with Webtv

Post by bbarnard01 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 pm

For a long time I used WMC with my Quad WebTV device - it worked great. When I upgraded Windows to the 1903 update it stopped working. WMC just says that it can't find any device. The WinTV works fine.
Has anyone been able to use WMC with the Quad WebTV device. If yes, what version of WMC are you using?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 am

I don't know about WebTV, but take a look at this thread. Technodevotee has done a good job updating the package to address issues up to and including 1903. All you may need to do is run the "replace_dll.cmd" as administrator. This cleared the "no tuners available" problem for me.

Just as a note. My WMC install is v8.8.1 with the replace_dll applied from v13.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:35 pm

bbarnard01 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 pm For a long time I used WMC with my Quad WebTV device - it worked great. When I upgraded Windows to the 1903 update it stopped working. WMC just says that it can't find any device. The WinTV works fine.
Has anyone been able to use WMC with the Quad WebTV device. If yes, what version of WMC are you using?
Given that you are using WinTV, I assume this is a Hauppauge product although I've never heard of it and can't find any information about it either but I see that Hauppauge have some information about new drivers for their other devices that stopped working after an upgrade on their website.

If it works in WinTV, I guess it isn't a driver issue but as Gary said, replacing the new DLLs with versions that WMC needs might help as long as it shows up in device manager as a BDA device. If it doesn't, I don't think WMC will 'see' it.

My dll_replacer is available as a standalone add-on for any version of WMC installer here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff3xso3hmr7dq ... s.zip?dl=1. It can be unzipped into the root of the folder containing whichever WMC installer you are using. Then it is just a case of runnning replace_dlls.cmd whenever WMC stop working because MS replaced the DLLs.

As always, I would recommend doing a backup first because it is replacing Windows System DLLs and I have no way of knowing what else it might affect.