Tablet viewing/remote for WMC?

DarkKaplah

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tablet viewing/remote for WMC?

Post by DarkKaplah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:00 pm

So I've had a 7MC machine since the InfiniTV-4 PCIe was released (wow I picked the wrong horse... should have gotten a HDHR Prime). The machine finally ran into too many issues and tanked (hardware's fine. Windows ran continually for near a decade... it needs a refresh). So I'm taking this time to improve the system.

I'm adding a HDMI CEC adapter to the system to eliminate the one complaint I kept getting about the system. The remote. So my vizio remote will control the 7MC as well as it's native remote. The one thing that's been requested is the ability to use phones / tablets with the setup. Remote potato used to do this (my family never used it) but now that option is gone. Is there anything out there that is supported and functional?

I'm looking for any reason to keep 7mc over going to Plex. Their live TV and DVR seems to be working well enough even if I have to trade my Infinitv 4 for a HDHR Prime, and it will work with my rokus. I'm aware of ServerWMC and WMC2Plex, but the interface was terrible (Low WAF) and never redesigned to work with the new liveTV interface in plex. Also as Ceton never made a BDA driver the card is not directly supported in Plex.

Any help here guys? Should I make the effort or should I throw in the towel on WMC?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:03 am

Are you looking to control WMC with a Phone or Tablet or are you looking to view content recorded on your machine on a tablet or phone?

newfiend~

DarkKaplah

Post by DarkKaplah » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Both would be great. However I'm open to one or the other.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:45 pm

I have a Harmony Elite Remote with Harmony Hub. The "Hub" allows for a lot of cool options. Remote control from Phone and Tablet as well as the included harmony remote. It will control my HTPC, AVR and TV. I also have it linked to my Google home. I can simply say Google Watch TV and it turns on Everything and I'm ready to go. =)

For viewing content outside my home I use PLEX. I archive my favorite shows in .mkv and add them to PLEX then I can view my TV shows/Movies/Music anywhere, anytime, and on just about any device inside and outside my home.

newfiend~

DarkKaplah

Post by DarkKaplah » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 am

Funny thing is I didn't consider the Harmony Home Hub. I have one at my place and it works great. That would be one alternative.

I'm also a plex lifetime pass holder. I had plex on the system before, but the problem was the ServerWMC + WMC2Plex plugin were a little confusing to use. As I have a Ceton tuner I'm stuck with this path.

Thank you for the recommendation!

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Did you ever use the Ceton My Media Center app on your phone or tablet?
It is outstanding and lets you control your entire WMC remotely. You can schedule recordings, control the pc via the phone/tablet, view guide listings, etc.
The only thing it can't do is let you view your live or recorded tv content remotely.
I have been using that app in conjunction with a Harmony Hub and Plex.
Obviously, I have Plex so that I can view my content remotely.

I'm not sure if the Ceton app is still available on the market, but maybe there's a separate download somewhere.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 pm

DarkKaplah wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 am Funny thing is I didn't consider the Harmony Home Hub. I have one at my place and it works great. That would be one alternative.

I'm also a plex lifetime pass holder. I had plex on the system before, but the problem was the ServerWMC + WMC2Plex plugin were a little confusing to use. As I have a Ceton tuner I'm stuck with this path.

Well.. since you already have the hub.. Download the Harmony App on your phone and tablet.. link it up and control away. :D Get a Google Home and link the Google Home to your Harmony account. Then setup routines in Google Home to use your voice to power on/off your equipment. It's oddly satisfying to walk into the living room and say Hey Google.. Watch TV and just have everything turn on.. It will spoil you.. lol

Most of the shows I watch I put in .mkv and put in Plex. I use that for most of my TV viewing as the wife watches too much Judge Judy and I just can't man.. I can't.. lol

So I use Plex and my tablet and watch my shows while she watches her "stuff" :sick:

The Ceton My Media Center App is unfortunately dead. It's no longer available on the Android/iOS stores to my knowledge. In fact I had to extract the .APK from my tablet to be able to restore it on my Phone I had to reset last night.
Bummer it's gone because I like being able to remotely see what's going to record and be able to set up recordings away from home in WMC.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm

newfiend wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 pm I use that for most of my TV viewing as the wife watches too much Judge Judy and I just can't man.. I can't.. lol
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:34 pm

You might still be able to get MMC via the Amazon app store?? I have it on an old IPAD, and I don't really use it anymore.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:48 pm

Scallica wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm
newfiend wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 pm I use that for most of my TV viewing as the wife watches too much Judge Judy and I just can't man.. I can't.. lol
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!
:lol:

jbhall56

Post by jbhall56 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:26 am

newfiend wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 pm
DarkKaplah wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 am Funny thing is I didn't consider the Harmony Home Hub. I have one at my place and it works great. That would be one alternative.

Well.. since you already have the hub.. Download the Harmony App on your phone and tablet.. link it up and control away. :D Get a Google Home and link the Google Home to your Harmony account. Then setup routines in Google Home to use your voice to power on/off your equipment. It's oddly satisfying to walk into the living room and say Hey Google.. Watch TV and just have everything turn on.. It will spoil you.. lol

Most of the shows I watch I put in .mkv and put in Plex. I use that for most of my TV viewing as the wife watches too much Judge Judy and I just can't man.. I can't.. lol

So I use Plex and my tablet and watch my shows while she watches her "stuff" :sick:

The Ceton My Media Center App is unfortunately dead. It's no longer available on the Android/iOS stores to my knowledge. In fact I had to extract the .APK from my tablet to be able to restore it on my Phone I had to reset last night.
Bummer it's gone because I like being able to remotely see what's going to record and be able to set up recordings away from home in WMC.
I salvaged the My Media Center companion app off of my phone so I could restore it to my tablet and to any other Android device as long as it remains compatible with Android releases.