DVR options outside of WMC

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Rainey

HTPC Specs: Show details

DVR options outside of WMC

Post by Rainey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:37 am

Just thinking ahead

If Microsoft ends guide data what are our option to still DVR with our tuners and PC's.

I know we can get a sub for EPG123 to get guide data in WMC that is one option to keep a WMC DVR running.

What are some other options and what is needed to be able to DVR shows maybe with other software.
Like Plex or Emby, NextPVR, Silicon dust DVR

I think i heard Plex requires a Plex Pass to work with Tuners not sure if you get guide data or also need a sub for that.

with Emby i think i heard you can get guide data but not sure about DVR abilities or what is required.

Please help use WMC users all know what is needed for each of our options to be able to get DVR going again if Microsoft shuts down guise data.

I know this is a little off topic, if you think it should be posted some where else please move it.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:30 am

If you want to record copy protected channels, then your options are very limited. On the PC, the only option would be WMC with EPG123 (and a SchedulesDirect subscription). SiliconDust may one day have an option that works on the PC, but for now at least, you cannot record copy protected channels with their DVR. For non-PC platforms that can record copy protected channels, you've got TiVo boxes and renting the cable company's DVR.

As for non copy protected recording, there are several options, but I'll leave that to others to discuss, although these forums may not be the best place to get info on DVRs other than WMC.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 am

Topic moved. It's Emby, not Embry.

Plex requires a Plex Pass for DVR capabilities, which includes guide data. If you decide on Plex, wait until the Black Friday sales to get the Plex Pass at a huge discount.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Emby has dvr capability, but requires a premium account and die have built in guide service. It does not handle copy protected channels.

One other thing that has to be looked at is the type of tuner device. For example some people have Ceton, which mainly only works with WMC and NextPVR. There is a plugin for Emby that works with NextPVR

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:31 pm

It depends a lot on what your priorities are. If you don't want to pay and want something similar to WMC then Next PVR might be your best option. If you want the best possible picture quality then Media Portal or JRiver are good choices. If you want simplicity, and easy setup then Emby is a good choice. I think I have tried every one except plex, and each one is unique so you really have to figure out what you want to get out of it. If you would rather not look around or spend a lot of time deciding I would go with Emby if your willing to pay because its really simple, and next pvr if you would rather not because it is similar to WMC and its free. I use WMC with Xbox 360s to distribute video throughout the house, I use JRiver in my main viewing area and office because it offers great picture and sound quality and has good media management features, and I use Emby because its web app gives me access to live TV via the web browser. So I never really decided I guess and I just try to play each one to its strength. Then there are things like TIVO, and android/apple based DVRs so it will be a long time before you run out of choices.

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:43 am

I would say that even if you are not worried about the end of WMC support for EPG, you should get EPG123. I did this about two years ago and have never looked back. I don't mind the nominal yearly fee for SchedulesDirect data, and I send some money to Gary via PayPal to buy him a beer for his troubles. He's created awesome guide software and provides excellent support out of the goodness of his heart on this forum. It is my hope that EPG123 with WMC will continue to last me for years. It's a bit of a process to get it set up but actually quite straightforward when you review the documentation... again, if you get stuck, Gary is always happy to help.

Speaking of alternatives, I run a Plex server as well--mostly for streaming content recorded on WMC or transcoding to watch later on my iPad. The fact that you can pay a one-time fee for PlexPass is nice--just pay once and be done. As Scallica said, they often run promos around Black Friday, so wait for that. That said, the DVR capability doesn't work with Ceton tuners, but will work with HDHomerun. In my opinion, their DVR and live TV function is still a bit buggy, but they are constantly developing the software and adding features, so I think it has a robust future.

Lately, I have been using Channels to stream live TV from my HDHomerun to my Fire Stick. It looks like they also offer a DVR server, which they charge $80/year for... Haven't used that feature, so not sure how well it works.

I think that as every network starts offering their own streaming service, there is going to be a big market for OTA tuning adapters for cable cutters. I think this market will continue to evolve.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:16 am

Thanks Guys, I had HDHR Primes with cablecards, but dropped cable and put up an antenna and got a few HDHR connects.
Been using ServerWMC and Kodi. It has been great, a little slower then WMC direct but still good DVR.

So if MS don't fix the guide data it looks like i will go EPG123 way as i only get 12 OTA channels at this time.

I updated Emby from 3.2.1 to 4.1.1 and i seen it also requires and account for Live TV and DVR as stated above.
I never got a Plex Pass but was thinking about it a few years back, but now that they removed Plugins i don't think so.
I was watching SD DVR Project back when i was using cablecards and they said they would support DRM but it never happened, glad i did not buy into that startup that never finished.

So i am staying with WMC as long as i can keep it working, or maybe try NextPVR.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Some of my Emby experience...

I switched to Emby from WMC last year and got their lifetime Premiere pass. Just like the Plex Pass I guess, as it unlocks a bunch of things including the DVR service and it includes very good guide data. It was Schedules Direct, but around New Years they mentioned it would switch to Gracenote - I am not sure if it has, but the guide still looks and works well.

I was cutting my cable bill down at the time of the switch to Emby, and also wanted to drop having an extender running at each TV. Emby works very well on a Firestick for live TV, and although not as nice, it does work on Roku. We have Firesticks at each TV anyway for the services my family mostly uses (Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu), so definitely saving some bucks each month on electricity without extenders. Plus dropped cable/Internet bill from $155 to $75/month.

The Emby guide is very easy to configure and lets you cut out and rearrange channels much easier than WMC. Plus, if you have multiple sources you can merge them as you want. I still use a Prime for the unprotected channels I get for free for maintaining my Internet service with Optimum, and I have looked at some IPTV feeds. Those are obviously hit or miss for quality and legality, but if you wanted to roll the dice I discovered that you can add those to your normal guide listing with ease, and the playback and DVR function works just as well.

Attached a screenshot of my Emby guide setup in a browser if anyone is interested. You can watch with ease locally/remotely on most streaming devices, in a browser, or mobile devices. A bunch of world cup watched on my phone this spring...

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm

I have been using YouTube TV for a while now and it is pretty good. You get unlimited recording, locals and a bunch of channels. You can manually skip most commercials, but you don't get comskip. So I also have Channels DVR ($8/month or 80/year) And I have a HDHomerun and OTA antenna. Channels DVR just introduced TV Everywhere into their system. So I can have all (most of) my YTTV and OTA channels in one interface. And the best part is it has built in comskip that can autoskip and process ALL channels. Not just the OTA. This is way better than WMC that can only process copy freely recordings. I use firesticks and a Shield to watch them. I use a very basic mini shuttle i5 box as the server with an external drive. So I now have a system that works better than my WMC system in several ways. It does cost for YTTV and Channels DVR, but I still save over $100 per month over what Spectrum was costing me for all the crap (tv boxes, cable card and service).

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Why were you paying for Cable STB's? A HDHomeRun Prime and a CableCARD is all you needed.

My two cents?

Emby, FTW!