FYI Windows Update: Event Viewer may close or error using Custom Views

TheReaper

HTPC Specs: Show details

FYI Windows Update: Event Viewer may close or error using Custom Views

Post by TheReaper » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:35 am

Well I hit this error in this months windows update: June 11, 2019 — KB4503292 (Security Monthly Rollup)

KB4508640 - Event Viewer may close or you may receive an error when using Custom Views

:thumbdown:

Summary

When trying to expand, view or create Custom Views in Event Viewer, you may receive the error, "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it." and the app may stop responding or close. You may also receive the same error using Filter Current Log in the Action menu with built-in views or logs. Built-in views and other features of Event Viewer should work as expected.
KB4508640 - contains a temporary workaround
Next Steps

We are working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in late June.
<- My Media Center PC

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:04 am

I haven't patched/updated my Windows 7 WMC PC in years, and I am wondering if I should do so before support ends for Win7.

Other than this new problem, is there any reasons to NOT update to the latest patched version of Win7 when using WMC?

I've read about problems here and there about Windows Update messing up WMC, but I don't know if there are still issues, or if certain files need to be reverted, etc. after a patch is applied.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm

I allow my HTPC running Windows 7 to update itself automatically, and there is nothing in any update up to this month's that has caused WMC to stop working. This month I did find that if I let the monthly security rollup and the malicious software removal tool install at the same time it crashed when restarting the computer and I had to go to safe mode, restore to before the updates and then install those two updates one at a time. But nothing affected WMC.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 am

Thanks for the information. I am thinking about fully patching Win7 at some point. I will make a full image backup of course, as well as make sure a snapshot is taken before doing so.

Hopefully I'll have some time to do this before support ends...

Thanks again.