Unable to set a program to record on NBCsn

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
krbriesc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to set a program to record on NBCsn

Post by krbriesc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Have primary and backup WMC W8 computers with Ceton 4 / Hauppauge Quad HD PCIe tuners running the EPG123 guides. The primary will not set Dan Patrick to record the secondary still works as expected. The condition may be spreading to other cable channels as I could not set a NASCAR program to record. It was available OTA so I set it to record there. Anyone else have this condition?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 am

krbriesc wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 pm Have primary and backup WMC W8 computers with Ceton 4 / Hauppauge Quad HD PCIe tuners running the EPG123 guides. The primary will not set Dan Patrick to record the secondary still works as expected. The condition may be spreading to other cable channels as I could not set a NASCAR program to record. It was available OTA so I set it to record there. Anyone else have this condition?
Edit the sources of NBCsn and make sure your tuners a checked/enabled. If they are unchecked, you will not be able to record on that channel, but it won't have a problem letting you watch the channel.

settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels ; select NBCsn and Edit Sources
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

krbriesc

Post by krbriesc » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Thank You garyan2
Can't understand why the Ceton 4 did not have the boxes checked but after checking them off to match my backup machine all is well.
Coming up on my third year with EPG123 and Schedules Direct; the experience has truly been a boon to WMC. Thank you again for all you do to keep the system running smoothly.
Finally up to speed with the Logo prompts; just downloaded the 07 February 2019 release. Will install as soon as I get this out to you.
kb

park27

Post by park27 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Similar to Krbriesc, I can watch programs on NBC, but can't record programs on NBC. Unfortunately when I went to do as Garyan2 suggested, all the tuners were already checked/enabled. Any thoughts regarding possible other fixes would be greatly appreciated.
(Other details that may/may not be relevant: If I am watching a program and hit the record button, it "thinks" for 5-10 seconds then eventually a "No signal" message pops up. If I turn off record, and I go to watch NBC again it works fine. I don't have the same issue with any other channel, and I used to be able to record on NBC. My tuner is a quadHD Hauppauge. I am ATSC. I can watch and record NBC using Hauppauge's winTV8.5. Yes, that's a work-around, but obviously a far less user-friendly experience.)

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Are you sure all the enabled tuners are valid tuners? When you go to the "edit sources" screen for that channel, make sure the "Show Preview" is enabled. As you highlight each tuner, make sure the channel is tuned properly in the background, if not, then there is something wrong with that tuner. Make sure you use the down arrow to see ALL the tuners that have been assigned to that channel and test each one. Only leave the check mark next to the the ones that work (and are not duplicates of ones you already checked).

park27

Post by park27 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:13 pm

That worked! Just like you suggested I hadn't noticed that I needed to scroll down to see all the tuners. Once I turned on show preview, it was clear that the 4 tuners associated with channel 41.1 yielded no signal and the 4 associated with channel 24.1 did. I unchecked all the 41.1, and I was back in business. Wish I'd known about this forum months ago. Thank you so much for replying so quickly. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 pm

park27 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:13 pm That worked! Just like you suggested I hadn't noticed that I needed to scroll down to see all the tuners. Once I turned on show preview, it was clear that the 4 tuners associated with channel 41.1 yielded no signal and the 4 associated with channel 24.1 did. I unchecked all the 41.1, and I was back in business.
It sounds like you need to review what your Schedules Direct channel lineup is providing for your current OTA/ATSC, and also do a re-scan of your OTA digital channels. 41.1 and 24.1 are both OTA channel numbers, so if you're having an issue with one or the other providing signal it's not clear how that even could have happened. How did 41.1 ever get into your channel list in the first place?

Digital channel numbers are either automatically populated through the regular primary WMC total setup wizard (Settings -> TV -> TV Signal -> Set up TV signal, where WMC discovers all your available TV tuner cards and their capabilities, etc,) or perhaps subsequently if the OTA channels in your area change or have additions (or has happened very recently due to FCC requirement, external digital channel numbers possibly get "re-packed" into newly reassigned digital broadcast frequencies and internal digital sub-channel carriers).

So occasionally it's necessary to got through Settings -> TV -> TV Signal -> Scan for more channels, in order to have WMC re-populate your OTA channel number list and get it all up-to-date, including dealing with discovery of any channel/frequency reassignments or changes that might have occurred. Obviously WMC must know what actual frequency to tune to in order to pick up any external digital channel number (like 24.1 or 41.1) which are actually physically carried on some primary main frequency and then a specific digital sub-channel.

And making things worse, whereas in years past all of these digital channel numbers were physically carried by frequencies in the analog UHF range (i.e. channels 14-69), today they cann also be carried by frequencies in the VHF range (i.e. channels 2-6, and 7-13). As it turns out WMC's OTA channel scan engineering only supports scanning and channel discovery in the UHF carrier frequency range. If your area broadcasts some digital channels on VHF carrier frequencies they will NOT BE DISCOVERED BY WMC. Instead these must be manually added by you through Settings -> TV -> Guide -> Add missing channels. And now you yourself must actually know what those digital channel numbers are, and also what carrier frequency they are located on, because you will have to enter both of these in the "add missing channels" dialog wizard.

And all of this will hopefully be synchronized by what the Schedules Direct lineup for your zip code provides, and how EPG123 gets all of this matched up, which is by looking at the "channel name" as provided through the channel scan (or what you manually name the channel in the "add missing channels" dialog). Pretty complex, but it works perfectly as long as you keep it current whenever changes require or justify an OTA channel re-scan. And then you had better review your lineups (both in WMC and EPG123) to be sure nothing's wrong or missing.

So back to my original point, I don't understand how you could have both 24.1 and 41.1 (one of which works and the other of which does not, and for a major channel like NBC which is usually a digital channel number of 4.1) in your OTA channel lineup within WMC provided by some tuner, in order to be able to check or not check that tuner when reviewing "edit sources" for a given digital channel in WMC.

Sounds like there's more to your story than we know.

I live in LA, and have both Ceton (for Spectrum cable) and Hauppauge QuadHD (for OTA/ATSC) in my WMC setup using EPG123. I have two channel lineups configured in Schedules Direct, one for Spectrum in my zip code and the other for OTA in my zip code. And after doing the standard WMC "channel scan" (which only picks up UHF frequencies) I had to manually add the digital channel numbers that I want to appear in my Guide and which are carried on VHF frequencies here in the LA area, namely 7.1, 9.1, 11.1, 13.1 and 56.1. The remaining digital channels (2.1, 4.1, 50.1 and 58.1) that I am interested in all are carried on UHF frequencies, and were discovered automatically by the WMC channel scan.

And with the recent "re-packing" of digital channel frequency assignments in the LA area, I had to both (a) re-scan, and (b) delete all old manually added "missing" digital channels and re-add them on their current [possibly] new frequencies. Sounds like maybe you needed to do that as well in your area.