YAMMM type app for music ?

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

YAMMM type app for music ?

Post by DavidinCT » Wed May 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Now that Microsoft killed off music on WMC and WMP...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/hel ... dia-player

I noticed some of my NEW music does not have art or meta data any more. Needing me to download a CD cover and giving a a folder.jpg so an image shows.

Is there any auto find/update program for MUSIC so it will update art and meta data for music added ?

YAMMM is so easy, just drop in a folder with the name with the year and it will auto download everything for it, I wanted something like this for music.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 pm

WMP in Windows 10 should still work for tagging music. I bet if you rip the disc in Windows 10, it will do the metadata lookup, and WMP in windows 7 will read the tags, and display cover art. Aside from that music browser, and music browser 2 will read folder.jpg, along with a few others but its a lot more work creating those files on your own, and those programs don't tag music.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 pm

jachin99 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 pm WMP in Windows 10 should still work for tagging music. I bet if you rip the disc in Windows 10, it will do the metadata lookup, and WMP in windows 7 will read the tags, and display cover art. Aside from that music browser, and music browser 2 will read folder.jpg, along with a few others but its a lot more work creating those files on your own, and those programs don't tag music.
On my PRIMARY HTPC, it still runs Windows 7. I have a Ceton cablecard and I have Extenders so Windows 10 is a big NO NO if I want to watch TV.

I guess on my next rip, I will put it in a folder that is accessible to Windows 10 WMP.... and then move it over to my HTPC on Windows 7..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:34 pm

If you let wmp in win 10 write tags then including the folder where you rip your music to might be enough so you would...
1. Create a new folder for your new music from here on out. Make sure wmp 10 can see and write changes to this folder.
2. Include that same folder in your wmp 7 library
3. Insert the disc in the win 7 machine and rip it.

When win 10 sees the new files it will write the tags if it's configured properly to do so. From here your wmc machine should pickup the change, maybe after a refreah, and your all set.

That's the theory but if it works then it seems like everything will be seamless

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu May 23, 2019 2:16 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:29 pm YAMMM is so easy, just drop in a folder with the name with the year and it will auto download everything for it, I wanted something like this for music.
Have you ever used MusicBrainz Picard?

I've used it for many years with great success.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Pretty much anything that writes compatible tags will work. The advantage of WMP on Win 10 is you don't have to install any additional software. Something like music brainz might have a better database, or extra features though. Just make sure whatever you use writes compatible tags.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 24, 2019 12:35 am

StinkyImp wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:16 pm
DavidinCT wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:29 pm YAMMM is so easy, just drop in a folder with the name with the year and it will auto download everything for it, I wanted something like this for music.
Have you ever used MusicBrainz Picard?

I've used it for many years with great success.
Nope, never used it, I'll give it a shot, thanks !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave