Copying Prohibited, no hardware change, no extenders, same PC

n127

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copying Prohibited, no hardware change, no extenders, same PC

Post by n127 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Trying to view old copy once recordings on the same PC it was recorded on, but I get the message below as if I am trying to watch copy once shows on another computer. However, I see that the thumbnails being populated so the encryption key is the same. I haven't made any hardware changes. My PC was crashing every few days due to other software issues which are now fixed. The crashes may have caused it.

In Settings-->TV-->TV Signal, I don't see anything like "Update PlayReady". There are no other issues as if everything is normal.

Things I have tried:

- System Restore. I tried all the restore points, but weeks passed before I noticed the problem.
- Running "mcupdate.exe -uf" and "mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc".
- Resetting PlayReady as explained here, except Reset DRM step. I didn't backup eHome/PlayReady/DRM and HDS files before the problem happened, but now I do.
- Running MediaCenterRecoveryTask in Task Schedular. This forced me to run WMC Setup again, and it also erased my scheduled recordings.
- Running ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in Task Schedular.

Still after all of this, and reopening WMC, I can still see thumbnails for all shows, including copy once shows.

Here is the message:

Copying Prohibited: The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded.

Any ideas? It's not the end of world if I can't fix it.

My PC:

Win 7 + SP1 64-Bit
HDHomeRun Prime
Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti
2 monitors: HDMI(WMC), and DisplayPort(Desktop)
2 HD: 400 GB SSD, and 2 TB for WMC
Verizon Fios

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:22 am

The only thing I got is display port is not compatible with wmc. Are you using multi display as this will also cause that message. Also your sound settings can also cause this to happen if not set to stereo.

n127

Post by n127 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 am

I am using the monitor with HDMI for WMC viewing, which worked fine in the past, and still is for new copy once shows. I can record new copy once shows and view them, but not old recordings. When I look at old recordings files in Windows Explorer, I see "Date modified" column changing when I click Restart/Resume on the show. Presumably it writes to the file the last play location. I tried Maximize/Restore but nothing changed.

My sound settings are set to stereo speakers, default playback device is still the same, Realtek High Definition Audio.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:39 am

Yeah they are probably beyond repair without your old he's drm. I guessing that maybe a startup repair messes up your hard drive s partition

gkr321

Post by gkr321 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:03 pm

I'm having the same issue. I record copy protected shows and can watch them, then for no reason the Copying Prohibited message shows up. I haven't changed anything.
I've tried system restore and restore from image, no help. I delete all of the shows i can no longer watch and start over. A week or two later same thing.
Is there any way to tell what is causing this ?
I play solitaire and free cell on this computer. I noticed that when this happens the game stats and settings are reset like Ive never played the game. ??

Space

Post by Space » Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 pm

Sounds like you may have something that is restoring old versions or deleting files (automatically or someone else doing it?).

When you record a copy protected show, it stores the license for that show in a file (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Playready\mspr.hds)

If something is reverting that file back to an older version (or deleting it), then you will be unable to play any copy protected recordings that were recorded after the date of the reverted file.

Take a look at the date on that file the next time you are unable to play back a copy protected video, if the date is older than the video than that is your problem. Note that if the file is reverted to an older version, but then another copy protected show is recorded, the date may still be current, but any copy protected show recorded between date on the file when it was restored and the time it was reverted will be unplayable.

gkr321

Post by gkr321 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:59 am

Thanks for the response, It may be a week or two before it happens again.

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 10, 2019 1:54 am

Do you know of anything you have running on your machine that may be automatically deleting/moving/reverting files?

gkr321

Post by gkr321 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Space wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:54 am Do you know of anything you have running on your machine that may be automatically deleting/moving/reverting files?
Not that I"m aware of.

gkr321

Post by gkr321 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:34 am

Space wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 pm Sounds like you may have something that is restoring old versions or deleting files (automatically or someone else doing it?).

When you record a copy protected show, it stores the license for that show in a file (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Playready\mspr.hds)

If something is reverting that file back to an older version (or deleting it), then you will be unable to play any copy protected recordings that were recorded after the date of the reverted file.

Take a look at the date on that file the next time you are unable to play back a copy protected video, if the date is older than the video than that is your problem. Note that if the file is reverted to an older version, but then another copy protected show is recorded, the date may still be current, but any copy protected show recorded between date on the file when it was restored and the time it was reverted will be unplayable.
It happened again about a week later. the date created file date on the mspr.hds file changed to the date it failed. I had made copys of the hds file every couple of days. replacing the hds file with lthe latest copy didn't help. Not knowing what was causing this, and deciding to upgrade to a larger ssd I started over reloading windows from scratch. So far so good, whatever was causing this problem is gone. Case Closed.