WMC 7 limits ?

Rickt1962

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 7 limits ?

Post by Rickt1962 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Does WMC 7 have limits ? I have 160 TV shows recording different times of year. This week I noticed Grey's Anatomy season 15 is missing ! I never deleted it DAMN ! 21 episodes now disappeared ! I have to get them else where for my library
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Space

Post by Space » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:27 pm

You can set up the Season so that it has limits, but unless you did that, WMC should not delete existing recordings. If your Season is set to "Until I delete" then WMC should never delete any recordings for that Season, if it is set to something else, then it may delete old recordings if it needs space to record new recordings.

I have the default set to "Until I delete", so that whenever I create a new Season, it is set to this value, this way I never have to worry about existing recordings being deleted in order to make room for new recordings. Of course, that creates the problem of potentially running out of disk space for new recordings, but that does not appear to be your problem since it seems that an entire season is missing rather than recent recordings not being recorded.

You should check your recordings folder using file explorer to see if your recordings are there, the default filenames are like this:
Amazing Race_WCBSDT_2018_01_03_19_59_48.wtv

So, you should see if you have video files starting with "Grey's Anatomy_" and the date afterwards are the dates the shows should have been recorded. I have sometimes seen recordings missing from within WMC but still exist in the folder, although I usually only see it for a recording here and there, never for an entire season.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:41 am

It was totally missing from my WMC-7 to be recorded thats what makes it strange ! Event Viewer has nothing on it
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:15 am

So you are saying that they were never recorded? I thought you meant they were recorded and somehow deleted.

If the seriesId for a show changes from when you set up the Series it will not record the series. Sometimes when a show is first added to the guide for the new season, it has an incorrect seriesId. If you use that episode to create a Series, it will not record any episodes if the seriesId is later corrected.

You can usually tell if an episode has an incorrect seriesId if it does not have a show poster image, although sometimes a new show (s1e1, first-run) will not have a poster image even if the seriesId is correct.

Another way to tell if an episode has a different seriesId is if you already have a Series using the correct seriesId (for instance, from the previous season) and you view that episodes details in WMC, it will have the option to "Create Series" when it shouldn't since you already have a Series for that show. If you want to make sure the episode is recorded in this instance (and not have to rely on the guide provider correcting it before the episode airs), you can create another Series, but this could lead to multiple Series for the same show that you should delete at some point (leaving only the correct one).

Another thing you could do is create a one-time record for that particular episode, but I don't like doing this, since if the episode seriesId is corrected, you then have a lingering request to record an episode that will probably never air (the episode with the incorrect seriesId) and I don't know how long these stick around in the WMC database and I know of no way to see or delete these requests.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Space wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:15 am So you are saying that they were never recorded? I thought you meant they were recorded and somehow deleted.

If the seriesId for a show changes from when you set up the Series it will not record the series. Sometimes when a show is first added to the guide for the new season, it has an incorrect seriesId. If you use that episode to create a Series, it will not record any episodes if the seriesId is later corrected.

You can usually tell if an episode has an incorrect seriesId if it does not have a show poster image, although sometimes a new show (s1e1, first-run) will not have a poster image even if the seriesId is correct.

Another way to tell if an episode has a different seriesId is if you already have a Series using the correct seriesId (for instance, from the previous season) and you view that episodes details in WMC, it will have the option to "Create Series" when it shouldn't since you already have a Series for that show. If you want to make sure the episode is recorded in this instance (and not have to rely on the guide provider correcting it before the episode airs), you can create another Series, but this could lead to multiple Series for the same show that you should delete at some point (leaving only the correct one).

Another thing you could do is create a one-time record for that particular episode, but I don't like doing this, since if the episode seriesId is corrected, you then have a lingering request to record an episode that will probably never air (the episode with the incorrect seriesId) and I don't know how long these stick around in the WMC database and I know of no way to see or delete these requests.
No I am saying for some reason Grey's was removed from WMC -7 recorded series list. I had to put it back in. For some strange reason WMC removed it

Space

Post by Space » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:10 am

I know of nothing that would delete a Series automatically.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 am

By chance, we're you close to running out of space in the recording drive?

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 pm

choliscott wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 am By chance, we're you close to running out of space in the recording drive?
Not even close 332 gigs remaining on drive D: and its only there temporary until MCEbuddy scans it and moves the video to the server