Should I update to windows 8.1?

Post Reply
Fin745

Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

Should I update to windows 8.1?

#1

Post by Fin745 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:46 am

I’m on windows 7 and everything works fine, but with the ending support of windows 7 and since I do use my HTCP as also a normal PC,

Should I update to windows 8.1? I have both a license for windows 8.1 and the media center.

Thanks.

User avatar
Scallica

Posts: 2600
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: USA!

HTPC Specs: Show details

#2

Post by Scallica » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:13 pm

No, leave it alone! If you don't use your WMC PC for general internet use, the security risk is minimal.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Fin745

Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#3

Post by Fin745 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Scallica wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:13 pm
No, leave it alone! If you don't use your WMC PC for general internet use, the security risk is minimal.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear on my post, but I do use it also for “general internet use”.

User avatar
Scallica

Posts: 2600
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: USA!

HTPC Specs: Show details

#4

Post by Scallica » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Fin745 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:49 pm
Scallica wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:13 pm
No, leave it alone! If you don't use your WMC PC for general internet use, the security risk is minimal.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear on my post, but I do use it also for “general internet use”.
Ah, I missed that part. I would still leave a working WMC system alone. I would buy another PC/laptop for general internet use.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

dab2kab

Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:03 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#5

Post by dab2kab » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:10 am

I run windows 8.1 for both WMC and for use as a day to day normal PC. It works well for this purpose and i think such a system can work well. That being said, ive learned over time with WMC, that if it isnt broke, dont try to fix it. What i would do is wait until your windows 7 install has an issue that you feel requires a reinstall or in the long term you have a needed program that drops support for windows 7 and when that happens upgrade to windows 8.1. As far as the security worries go on windows 7 post january 2020, honestly i think if you are computer savvy enough to setup up a reliable WMC machine and use it, you are unlikely to fall victim to most security threats that arise anyway.

jachin99

Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:36 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#6

Post by jachin99 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:54 pm

I asked about windows update strategies here https://www.askwoody.com/ and chose to NOT install patches. The advice I read about after choosing my strategy essentially boiled down to not using adobe products, or IE. If you need adobe flash for web browsing then use chrome because its already built in. If not then firefox might be a better choice. I dont browse the web too much on my machines, and I dont view PDFs, or use them for email.

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#7

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:42 pm

jachin99 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:54 pm
I asked about windows update strategies here https://www.askwoody.com/ and chose to NOT install patches. The advice I read about after choosing my strategy essentially boiled down to not using adobe products, or IE. If you need adobe flash for web browsing then use chrome because its already built in. If not then firefox might be a better choice. I dont browse the web too much on my machines, and I dont view PDFs, or use them for email.
Agreed. THere are TONS of Windows 7/8.1 updates that are NO LONGER tested against Windows Media Center(it's a dead product according to MS). Over the years I learned this the hardway a FEW times, Now when I build a WMC machine, I get it to a point where it's stable and I completely disable updates. I have a fairly good firewall in my home and every bit of content is downloaded from another machine and dropped on to a network share before being installed. Just be a little midfull and carefull on what your doing here.

There is also an automated system backup once a week (OS drive only) to a network drive on another computer, that is kept for 1 month, so if I notice a problem as late as 4 weeks out, I can restore and get back up and running very quickly (OS restore takes about 35 min over the network).

There was one update... about 5 years ago, that completely broke the computer... it took me a day to get the system back(needed to format) and almost a month before everything was back to where it needed to be.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mercalia

Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:39 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#8

Post by mercalia » Thu May 02, 2019 3:29 pm

If the media center licence for 8.1 was one of those free ones they gave out you may find it dont work now, unless you have already installed 8.1 with media center some time and activated it. I seem to remember it was time limited for first install. With cheap hard discs there is no reason why you shouldnt make a 8.1 media center hard disk system then maybe make an image if you want to free up the hard disc?

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#9

Post by DavidinCT » Wed May 22, 2019 12:20 am

mercalia wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:29 pm
If the media center licence for 8.1 was one of those free ones they gave out you may find it dont work now, unless you have already installed 8.1 with media center some time and activated it. I seem to remember it was time limited for first install. With cheap hard discs there is no reason why you shouldnt make a 8.1 media center hard disk system then maybe make an image if you want to free up the hard disc?
There is a way around that... it requires finding a 8.1 ISO WITH WMC on it... Using a WMC install key(a open key that will install the complete package), this will install 8.1 with WMC, when you try to activate it, of course, it will fail, then put in your WMC key and activate and you will be fine. Call the 800 # if you need to and you will be all set, this will only happen if it has been activated on other hardware before, requiring to call (DO NOT try that with the install key)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

dadi01

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:56 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#10

Post by dadi01 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:00 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:20 am
mercalia wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:29 pm
If the media center licence for 8.1 was one of those free ones they gave out you may find it dont work now, unless you have already installed 8.1 with media center some time and activated it. I seem to remember it was time limited for first install. With cheap hard discs there is no reason why you shouldnt make a 8.1 media center hard disk system then maybe make an image if you want to free up the hard disc?
There is a way around that... it requires finding a 8.1 ISO WITH WMC on it... Using a WMC install key(a open key that will install the complete package), this will install 8.1 with WMC, when you try to activate it, of course, it will fail, then put in your WMC key and activate and you will be fine. Call the 800 # if you need to and you will be all set, this will only happen if it has been activated on other hardware before, requiring to call (DO NOT try that with the install key)
you don't use your WMC PC for general internet use, the security risk is minimal.

Post Reply