Has installing WMC on Win 10 become very difficult ?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
hdtvjeff

HTPC Specs: Show details

Has installing WMC on Win 10 become very difficult ?

Post by hdtvjeff » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 pm

I successfully have WMC running on 2 Win 10 LTSB boxes

I tried doing a complete reformat and reinstallation on both only to find DCA (Digital cable advisor) would not run during install.

I had to manually install DCA before running WMC setup.

I never had to do this before, NEVER.

Does anyone know why?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:01 pm

It appears Microsoft has removed he download or moved it so that it does not re-direct it to the correct address. This has been going on since about a year ago.

hdtvjeff

Post by hdtvjeff » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:16 pm

But even Windows 8 is still covered for another year or two. Why would they do this? Thank goodness for the DCA download !
Thanks for explaining it !

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:44 pm

I think Microsoft has made their intensions pretty clear that they don't want to support WMC in any sort of fashion. It has been doomed since they tried to remove it on windows 8 with the idea that you would buy crap from their stores not record them for your own, made it a PITA to install on W8, then despite it working on W10, they removed it. It was just another example of them having something special whether it was zune, windows phone, etc. then not advertise or promote it in any serious way. The big wigs there decided xbox one was going to be the center of their home ecosystem, and then they paired back on the plans with that less capable system. I have a hard time buying anything new from them based on this. They treat you like a beta tester and make business decisions that isolate and alienate their customers and blame you for it ant the same time.

hdtvjeff

Post by hdtvjeff » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:52 pm

I'm just glad I can still use it on Windows 10 LTSB without it being disabled by updates. I also use a ceton card and its smartphone app which I love.

I am learning PLEX and will merge my WMC recordings into that since WMC has not got Plex's capabilities

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:53 pm

I'm surprised the drivers work even on LTSB. It must be a ETH6?

hdtvjeff

Post by hdtvjeff » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Ceton infiniti PCIE version

LTSB 2015 is like Windows 10 v1507. Later of course with future updates, wmc was broken with non ltsb variants

I also tried using ceton's usb version but it will not work with my setup, only the pcie version works

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm familiar with LTSB but never used it first hand. Could never really find a download for a ISO. I figured it was just like early win 10 builds where nobody could get the drivers to install or find the tuners. First time I ever heard ceton tuners used prior to build 1586.

hdtvjeff

Post by hdtvjeff » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:17 pm

The 2015 LTSB isos are there,though I don't think I should post the link here.

LTSB does not get updates, plain and simple; basically for corporations who do not want to take chances with their tech infrastructure with downloads which can break certain applications.

I was hoping Sicilon Dust's propsed cable card box would be available by now but alas , no.

hk2000

Post by hk2000 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 am

I have it running on 2 win 10 machines, but on 2 others, it won't install- well, it does install, but once you try to reboot, it will go in to a loop of start-up errors, and never actually reaches a windows login screen- No t/s trick works, not safe mode, Safe mode w/Command prompt, not start up repair- nothing!!! I'd be very interested to see someone able to install and use wmc consistently after updating to 1809. Tried 8.8.1 and 8.8.2.

hdtvjeff

Post by hdtvjeff » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:48 pm

I believe WMC was disabled with versions of windows going back awhile. LTSB works but it is an early version of win 10 before MS flushed it out.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:19 am

cwinfield wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:44 pm I think Microsoft has made their intensions pretty clear that they don't want to support WMC in any sort of fashion. It has been doomed since they tried to remove it on windows 8 with the idea that you would buy crap from their stores not record them for your own, made it a PITA to install on W8, then despite it working on W10, they removed it. It was just another example of them having something special whether it was zune, windows phone, etc. then not advertise or promote it in any serious way. The big wigs there decided xbox one was going to be the center of their home ecosystem, and then they paired back on the plans with that less capable system. I have a hard time buying anything new from them based on this. They treat you like a beta tester and make business decisions that isolate and alienate their customers and blame you for it ant the same time.
bang on!