Strange reinstall issues

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Spektre

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange reinstall issues

Post by Spektre » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:30 am

My 10 year old system was struggling with 4k even with a new video card, so I decided it was time to upgrade the processor as well, thus requiring a new motherboard.
Additionally, I have been having problems with the guide not giving any data except for the "free channels" toward the beginning of the listings.

I selected a B450 motherboard paired with a Ryzen 1600, to go with the GTX1050ti video card. 4k is fine now, but I definitely have some problems with the InfiniTV 4 PCIe reinstall.

These issues were identical with 2 separate models (One from AsRock, one from Gigabyte) of B450 motherboard and 2 physically different Ryzen 5 1600 chips.

1. Windows will not make it through a clean install with the InfiniTV in the system. I have to remove the card, install Windows, then put the card in and do the install on the card, to avoid installation blue screens of death. That's basically OK as the system stays on 24/7 but it portends later issues i think.

2. Digital Cable Adviser will not run. It states, "INVALID APPLICATION. Unable to launch “”". Downloading and installing it manually does not alter this. I've had to use an "Override DCA" script to move past this.

3. The machine will not shut down cleanly with the card in the system. It goes to "Shutting Down" with the spinning wheel, but then hangs forever and must be shut off with the power switch.

Other than this it paired and displays all the channels fine. It got the guide data correctly, but we'll see if it keeps updating it.

Any ideas on these issues. I've liked the 9 years with the card, but it looks like the times might be moving past cablecard tuners...

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:52 pm

Did you get Windows 7 to install without problem (and activate)? It was my understanding that Windows 7 wouldn't activate on the new processors and motherboards.

Spektre

Post by Spektre » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:34 am

Yes, Windows 7 has no problem running with newer processors and hardware.

The main issue comes in with not having USB drivers on the install media for Windows 7, so when you got to a certain spot on the install you lose your mouse and keyboard (if USB) and installation media (if a USB flash drive). Most mobo manufacturers (ASUS, ASrock, MSI, and Gigabyte at least) provide a utility to slipstream the drivers into the install media.

tomKeat

Post by tomKeat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:21 am

How has it been running - i just reinstalled using an older Asus mb and A6 -3650 amd radeon hd 6530D. I had the same issues, and others which seemed to triggered by AMD's catalyst or crimson console. Finally, got the digital advisor to run on a clean install, installing only the drivers with device manager. Haven't actually installed Infinitv4 yet but I am hopeful, as i got it to run for a while using the override method you mentioned. It kept crapping out after a couple of days, or any driver update through either AMD control center. All this is a long winded way of getting to my main question. Has your system run well since you installed above?