Windows 10 v1803 WMC was removed

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
wilspin1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 10 v1803 WMC was removed

Post by wilspin1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:53 pm

So I want to keep using WMC into the future. It Seems not a good plan however. I installed it on 2 separate test machines and in both cases the .exe and .dll files in root of ehome some how are gone and WMC does not work. I have reinstalled on one machine and its working again. I suspect if I upgrade my WMC dedicated machine to Win 10, each time there is patches or semi annual release this will keep happening. I don't want to have to constantly repair the installation. The win 10 replacement seems to be online streaming only and no sign of any OTA signals, guide or adding tuners etc. There is still no substitute for WMC that I can see. So stay with WIN 7 and hope for the best? Thoughts?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:14 pm

wilspin1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:53 pm So stay with WIN 7 and hope for the best? Thoughts?
Stay on Windows 7 and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jazz_dude

Post by jazz_dude » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:25 pm

wilspin1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:53 pm There is still no substitute for WMC that I can see.
I'm in the UK and have been using NextPVR on Windows 10 for a few months for OTA SD, HD and radio. It grabs 7 days EPG, records OK from my internal TBS quad tuner. WMC was the best, but I got fed up with it getting deleted by the 6 month W10 updates.

I have great respect for the folk at MDL and here who enabled me to get a few years of WMC on Win10.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 am

Folks have been successful in moving WMC out of the C:\Windows\ehome folder to somewhere else. This avoids it getting "removed" after every W10 update. Not sure how they did it, though... you'll need to research.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm not sure if this is exactly what Gary is talking about but I found this on the MDL thread about the patch in post 9093. They don't mention anything about it surviving updates but it shows the same concept.

Ok found the solution:
* Crudely copy the entire "C:\Windows\ehome" folder to "C:\Program Files\ehome", enable the "Disable full screen optimization" flag on "C:\Program Files\ehome\ehshell.exe", and finally make sure that the desktop start shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\ehome\ehshell.exe".

Now if I run Media center, even from the Windows\eHome folder, the program works well in full screen, but I don't get it.