Can't create New Task

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Mugsy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Mugsy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Space wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:40 pm
Mugsy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:55 am ...
I checked the entry in my Task Scheduler entry for "Media Center". It does not say anything is corrupt, but instead says the last time it ran (after being set 5 minutes before a scheduled recording in 2015) was "Never". And despite running TS as Admin, when I try to delete the entry, it says I "don't have permission" (the most annoying Windows error message ever.) :evil:
Did you try to delete the task by following the procedure I gave in my post (i.e.: Not using the GUI, but instead deleting the corresponding file)? It's possible that that file has permissions that need to be changed in order to delete it.

Send it to the recycle bin in case you need to restore it.

Even after you delete it, I'm not sure if WMC will be able to recreate it, because I am not sure what the problem with your system security settings are. Was/is this computer part of a domain? Because I read that you may have this type of problem if you are use a local Administrator account but your PC is controlled by a domain admin account.
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't able to delete the entry. From the GUI is says I don't have permission. From an elevated DOS prompt, it says "Access denied."

Trying to change the Permissions, everything is grayed out:

This is my home PC and not part of any domain (never was). :(

TIA

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:48 pm

You might have to take ownership of the file before you can delete it.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Do all of the files in that directory have similar permissions? Looks like the only user that is specified on that task is "Everyone" with limited permissions. On my system I have a series of users with different permissions, for instance SYSTEM that has all the permissions allowed.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:21 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:48 pm You might have to take ownership of the file before you can delete it.
Yep, that worked. I found the solution (to take ownership) here.

After that, I was able to change permissions so I could delete the file.

"StartRecording" was the only file with its Permissions set that way (with "Everyone" as the only user.)

So now that I've deleted the file, should I manually run the Scheduled Task? TIA.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 am

If things are working correctly, when you start the WMC GUI, it should recreate that task. The task should be set to run 5 minutes before the next scheduled recording. You never need to manually run that task, it's purpose is to automatically run at the scheduled time to start the recording.

WMC should automatically update the start time of this task every time a new recording starts to reflect the next time it should run (to initiate the next scheduled recording).

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 am

Space wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 am If things are working correctly, when you start the WMC GUI, it should recreate that task.
Crud. No such luck. Whatever is wrong with my Task Scheduler has been an ongoing problem since at least 2015 (according to the last time the "ScheduledRecording" task was created but never run.)

It's clearly a problem with my Win7 and not WMC, but at least I have EPG123 finally installed and working even if the computer is ignoring newly scheduled recordings unless WMC is running. :cry:

I'll have to do more research on fixing the TS. Thanks for all the help on getting EPG123 working.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:34 pm

Ugh! Sorry to restart this thread but I screwed up. :cry:

In my attempts to get WMC to properly record scheduled programs once again, someone suggested I use the following command:

%systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask

This forces WMC to completely reset and prompt you to run Setup.

I did as the EPG docs state (run Setup but say No when prompted to "Agree" to use MS's EPG), which reset everything giving me TV with no guide.

I returned to EPG123, restored my old data, which gives me a Guide (and my scheduled recordings), but fails to detect my Tuner!

I run Tuner setup again and lose my guide! I can have have a tuner with no guide, or a guide with no tuner! :o

Any idea how to fix this before I take the drastic step of restoring my PC from a backup that predates installing EPG123? :x

(Yes, I know I should have backed up my PC after installing EPG123.)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Mugsy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:34 pm Ugh! Sorry to restart this thread but I screwed up. :cry:

In my attempts to get WMC to properly record scheduled programs once again, someone suggested I use the following command:

%systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask

This forces WMC to completely reset and prompt you to run Setup.

I did as the EPG docs state (run Setup but say No when prompted to "Agree" to use MS's EPG), which reset everything giving me TV with no guide.

I returned to EPG123, restored my old data, which gives me a Guide (and my scheduled recordings), but fails to detect my Tuner!

I run Tuner setup again and lose my guide! I can have have a tuner with no guide, or a guide with no tuner! :o

Any idea how to fix this before I take the drastic step of restoring my PC from a backup that predates installing EPG123? :x

(Yes, I know I should have backed up my PC after installing EPG123.)
Run TV Setup again, but do NOT do a [Restore] of the database. Instead, use the [Transfer Tool] to open your backup file that contains your scheduled programs. It looks like when the MediaCenterRecoveryTask was run, it gave your tuners different GUIDs than what is in the backup. I haven't developed a method to account for different GUIDs yet though a Proof-of-Concept has been successful.

1) WMC TV Setup
2) Manually import your MXF file using the Client
3) Click the Match by: [# Number] button to assign your guide listings to channels
4) Open Transfer Tool and import your recording requests
5) ... should be good.

Hope after all this your scheduled tasks start working for you!
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm Hope after all this your scheduled tasks start working for you!
Great. That worked! TV & Guide both working.

"Restore Database" from EPG123 was what was screwing things up. Not doing that solved the issue.

I've since gone back and did a "Backup" of my Database in EPG123.

Now, let's see if "Scheduled Recordings" work once again (and this wasn't a giant waste of time.) :lol:

Big thanks, once again.

(FOLLOW UP: Yep, WMC is recording once again too! The Reset command I was given worked. WMC is recording once again without needing to be open for the first time in over 13 years.) :crazy:
Last edited by Mugsy on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:01 am

I hope you meant "without needing to be open" :)

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:48 am

Space wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:01 am I hope you meant "without needing to be open" :)
Thanks. I corrected the post. ;)