WMC Indexing

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Gripweed

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Indexing

Post by Gripweed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 am

Daily after the EPG123 scheduled task is run and it sends over the schedule data to WMC, if I go to do a Search for a TV Show, WMC will always tell me that the data still needs to complete indexing. It doesn't matter whether it is 2 minutes after the task has run or 23 hours and 58 minutes after. It appears that the indexing doesn't start until I enter the Search request. I could have sworn that pre-using EPG123, the data indexing was always already completed whenever I went to do a Search. Or maybe not, it feels like forever since using Microsoft's guide data. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Is there any way to get WMC to start the indexing automatically as soon as it gets new data?

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:09 am

EPG123 starts the reindexing tasks on each update. There may be something wrong with your Windows Search / Indexing. If you are running Win10, then it tends to disable Windows search.

Check you Indexing Options
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:24 am

Nah, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. When you say "Indexing Options" you mean in the Control Panel, right? WMC is listed there. When I do the Rebuild found on the Advanced tab it only runs the other two listings there (Start Menu and Users) and removes the WMC listing. To get WMC to show again in the listings I need to run another Search in WMC.
I do see in the EPG123 log that reindexing was a Success when the task is run but I'm not seeing it in real life. I'll play around with it some more tomorrow and see if I can figure out anything. Thanks for your comments.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Hmmm... a rebuild in the listings usually gets it working again. I don't recall ever seeing WMC being removed from the list. It does, however, confirm that that is where your issue is.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Not sure how doing a search in WMC is adding it to the list, I didn't think it did that, but you can adding it back this way (works on Win7 and Win8):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... ea5?page=1

Here is a post about it:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2194&p=20848

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:26 am

First off, I'm not totally sure whether it is working 100% now but with my last Rebuild it seems to be working correctly now. It showed 21 days worth of data rather than the "still indexing" notice. Fingers crossed. In any event, I still want to try Space's suggestion and see what happens.
As for the WMC listing in the Indexing Options disappearing, Windows pulled a fast one on me (or in this case, a slow one.) The WMC listing that disappeared returned a few minutes after the other items on the list were indexed and then the indexing of the WMC EPG data began. I just didn't initially wait long enough.
I did read elsewhere a post by Gary with regards to Media Center tasks PrvScheduleTask and one other that off the top of my head I can't recall. I checked and they are active and appear to be working as they should.
More experimenting to follow.
Thanx!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:34 am

Gripweed wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:26 am First off, I'm not totally sure whether it is working 100% now but with my last Rebuild it seems to be working correctly now. It showed 21 days worth of data rather than the "still indexing" notice. Fingers crossed. In any event, I still want to try Space's suggestion and see what happens.
As for the WMC listing in the Indexing Options disappearing, Windows pulled a fast one on me (or in this case, a slow one.) The WMC listing that disappeared returned a few minutes after the other items on the list were indexed and then the indexing of the WMC EPG data began. I just didn't initially wait long enough.
I did read elsewhere a post by Gary with regards to Media Center tasks PrvScheduleTask and one other that off the top of my head I can't recall. I checked and they are active and appear to be working as they should.
More experimenting to follow.
Thanx!
After each update, epg123 will run the ReindexSearchRoot and the PvrScheduleTask... so it will update the indexing of the guide and the recording schedule after each update so you don't have to worry about it. That is, as long as Windows Search is still working.
- Gary

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:56 am

Ok, I ran Space's suggestion and even threw in a "ehPrivJob.exe /DoReindexSearchRoot" in the elevated cmd for good measure like was listed in the forum post. Search is still showing 21 days :thumbup: so it appears that I didn't muck up anything. True test will come tomorrow when EPG123 runs its task. I could run it manually now but I'll wait for it to work under scheduled conditions before I'll declare my problem fixed.
Thanks, Gary and Space

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:12 am

IT WORKS!!! I let it go through the EPG123 task and then cautiously checked Search. Fully indexed 21 days worth of data was there immediately for my Search. No more waiting. I have no idea what messed it up a long while ago and what fixed it (probably the Rebuild I'm guessing) but I'm glad it is working right again. Again, thanks Gary and Space.

Gary, question: Is the Rebuild in EPG123 Client the same as the Rebuild in Indexing Options/Advanced?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:31 am

Gripweed wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:12 amGary, question: Is the Rebuild in EPG123 Client the same as the Rebuild in Indexing Options/Advanced?
No. The [Rebuild WMC Database] button is more akin to the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask... it will completely wipe out your current ehome folder and database and then build a new one. The tuner configurations, favorites lineups, guide mappings, and scheduled recordings will be restored. It will just need the guide listings to be imported again. This is kind of a last resort when you suspect a database corruption is preventing successful updates.

Nothing to do with the indexing database.
- Gary

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:22 am

Absolutely good to know. Thanks for your help answering questions and the creation of EPG123.

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Back to failure. The data for the search wasn't immediately available again yesterday. I tried a search about 3 hours after the nightly EPG123 task was run but it came up with the notice that indexing wasn't completed yet.

[2/10/2019 7:39:29 PM] ===============================================================================
[2/10/2019 7:39:29 PM] Beginning epg123 client execution. version 1.2.11.0
[2/10/2019 7:39:29 PM] ===============================================================================
[2/10/2019 7:39:29 PM] [ INFO] Beginning epg123 client execution. 2019-02-11 00:39:29Z
[2/10/2019 7:39:29 PM] [ INFO] Import: True , Match: False , NoLogo: False , Force: False , ShowProgress: False
[2/10/2019 7:39:30 PM] Entering importMxfFile() for file "c:\epg123\output\epg123.mxf"
[2/10/2019 7:41:26 PM] [ INFO] Successfully imported .mxf file into Media Center database. Exit code: 0
[2/10/2019 7:41:26 PM] Exiting importMxfFile(). SUCCESS.
[2/10/2019 7:41:26 PM] [ INFO] Completed lineup refresh.
[2/10/2019 7:41:26 PM] Entering runWmcTask(ReindexSearchRoot)
[2/10/2019 7:41:26 PM] [ INFO] SUCCESS: Attempted to run the scheduled task "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot".
[2/10/2019 7:41:26 PM] [ INFO] Successfully started the ReindexSearchRoot task. Exit code: 0
[2/10/2019 7:41:26 PM] Exiting runWmcTask(ReindexSearchRoot). SUCCESS.
[2/10/2019 7:41:27 PM] Entering runWmcTask(PvrScheduleTask)
[2/10/2019 7:41:27 PM] [ INFO] SUCCESS: Attempted to run the scheduled task "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\PvrScheduleTask".
[2/10/2019 7:41:27 PM] [ INFO] Successfully started the PvrScheduleTask task. Exit code: 0
[2/10/2019 7:41:27 PM] Exiting runWmcTask(PvrScheduleTask). SUCCESS.
[2/10/2019 7:41:27 PM] [ INFO] Completed EPG123 client execution.
[2/10/2019 7:41:27 PM] [ INFO] EPG123 client execution time was 00:01:58.0321659.

I guess I'll have to decide now whether to go with the [Rebuild WMC Database] button or just forget the whole thing and wait the minute or two for it to complete the indexing every time I go to do a Search the first time after an EPG123 scheduled task. Or maybe I could run another scheduled task shortly after the running of the EPG123 task to manually index and PVRschedule the data. If I set it up to run a batch file from the cmdline, what would it look like? Or any other ideas?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 am

Here is what EPG123 runs for reindexing after every update:

Code: Select all

schtasks.exe /run /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot"
schtasks.exe /run /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\PvrScheduleTask"
Here is what EPG123 runs if the above fails to start, which is also what the tasks above do individually:

Code: Select all

ehPrivJob.exe /DoReindexSearchRoot
mcupdate.exe -PvrSchedule
If you try anything, try the bottom actions... the top is repeating exactly what EPG123 is doing.

It would be nice to understand why your WMC index keeps disappearing, though.
- Gary

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 am

I set up a task to run using "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -PvrSchedule" which will run 5 minutes after I have the EPG123 task run. I ran it manually and it worked but I won't claim success again until it works (several times) as a task.
One thing I did notice is that while EPG123's log showed Code 0 and Success the last time it didn't work when I looked at the results in the Task Manager it gave a high number error (unfortunately I didn't think to write it down at the time) for ReindexSearchRoot and a Class not registered (0x80040154) error for PvrScheduleTask.
After that I ran EPG123 manually and it worked and the log showed Code 0s and Success and the Task Manager confirmed a ReindexSearchRoot 0 error and again the PvrScheduleTask showed the Class error. Clearly something is screwy with my system and is causing these inconsistent results. Class problems are out of my expertise. I'm hoping this new task I've just added will somehow cause more consistent good results. Time will tell.

As for the WMC index disappearing, I explained that above in a prior post, that it was a matter of me not being patient. The listing did disappear for a short amount of time while other things were being indexed but it then reappeared again and started the indexing of the WMC data.

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:32 am

News update - Since adding that "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -PvrSchedule" task 5 days ago I haven't had to wait to Search because it was still indexing. As I said in my last post, I think something is screwy with my system and that is why the Indexing by EPG123 isn't working although the trace.log says Success. I think the screwy thing is the Class not registered error that shows up in the Task Manager for PvrScheduleTask. Good news on that front as of today, the Class error stopped. I did a lot of reading on the subject and tried different suggestions to fix it but I'm not really sure which one worked. Possibly it might have been when I ran "mcupdate.exe -uf -dbcg".
If the Class error stays away I'll try running EPG123 without the extra task added.

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 am

I know I look like I'm talking to myself here but I just want to document my problem so that it might help someone else in the future that might wind up with the same or similar problem. Posts from the past have given me ideas on how to fix my Class Not Registered (0x80040154) error which perhaps is the heart of my Search problem.
Now with going over the various things I read, I believe now that simply running "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) in an enhanced command line fixed the Class problem and not the "mcupdate.exe -uf -dbcg" listed above.