WMC Recorded TV Icons disappearing

sgbroimp

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Recorded TV Icons disappearing

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:09 pm

I think this question has come up before, but my search for same failed. Apologies if this is the case! The issue is that for about two weeks I am not getting the small icons to the left of the recorded program info, only small plain blue icons. I re-loaded the TV signal (Comcast), no joy, then shut down the HTPC (Win7) for 5 minutes, restarted and they all came back, BUT: New recordings bring the same issue all over again (those new recordings only). The only thing that has changed in the past two weeks is that I changed my Comcast package from one that included the premiums to one that does not, the change taking place about the time this "no icons" business started, but even in the past I have seen this situation also from time to time, then it got corrected for a while after a reboot, so not sure Comcast has anything to do with the issue. Anyone have a clue what is going on here?

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 am

If you're talking about the thumbnails that go with the listing in Recorded TV, that is actually a frame grab from the actual recording. It may mean your hard drive is slow and it's taking a while to update them, as they are populated fresh each time you open Recorded TV.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 am

Missing thumbnails has come up in the past and it was usually due to one of the existing recordings being corrupted in some way. If you moved that recording to another folder or deleted it, then the thumbnails would reappear for the other recordings.

However, in your case, this does not seem to be the issue, since you say a system restart caused them to come back.

As unclebun said, it can take a while for the thumbnails to show up, as WMC needs to process the video in each recording and generate the thumbnail. I suppose a hard disk that is going bad can contribute to this slow down. But I don't think I've ever seen your exact issue reported (thumbnails missing, but coming back after a reboot)

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Thanks, guys. I mean this is not a huge deal, but would be nice to have them.

tomuo

Post by tomuo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:59 am

I get this quite often. I'm running MCEBuddy which deletes recordings when it's processed them, I think this confuses the thumbnail generation process too.
In task Manager I kill ehvid.exe and it auto-relaunches when you next open Recorded TV.

Certainly there are sometimes "corrupted" files where ehvid.exe just gets stuck.

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:18 pm

In task Manager I kill ehvid.exe and it auto-relaunches when you next open Recorded TV.

So is that what you think I should do in my case? How exactly do I do that in Task Manager or better just leave well enough alone as I reboot every couple of weeks anyway?

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Well, abracadabra and the situation resolved itself. New recordings now showing the icons. For another reason, I re-booted my modem (Comcast supplied gateway) and the next time I looked at my latest recordings, all the icons are present and accounted for.
Does that make any sense?

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Thu May 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Well, the issue returned with a vengeance (not that it is a huge deal) but I think I now know the cause. Turns out that all mu update downloads ate up huge space in my 60 gig HDD. Ran the Windows Cleanup and deleted some files, first and foremost an old version of Windows, and now all the icons are back and showing just fine. I was actually showing 63 gig of files on the 60 gig HDD, surprising though that sounds. Now all good, but will obviously have to start deleting some of the update downloads at some point.

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Last couple of days it is back again. Looks like reboot of the PC is the only fix.