How to upgrade EPG123?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Joram

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to upgrade EPG123?

Post by Joram » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 am

I'm considering installing the latest version of EPG123, but first I have a couple of questions:
  • When installing the new version, can I just install it over the old version?

Do I need to perform the "clean install" as described on page 5 of the user's guide, or will/can the new version utilize the info and settings from the older version?
Just trying to minimize the amount of time and aggravation involved. :)

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:42 am

Just install over the old version. Ref the guide, page 2:

Code: Select all

NOTE
If performing an upgrade from a previous version of EPG123, it is
only necessary to run the setup file. No further action is required.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Joram

Post by Joram » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 am

Thank you. Guess I missed this part (this is always a high-stress operation, given the grief I get at home if TV recordings aren't working properly). I wanted to make sure that nothing beyond running the setup file for the new version (no reconstructing the database or re-downloading from zap2it, etc.) was needed to upgrade the program and keep everything working.

sswing

Post by sswing » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:36 am

I hope it's ok to bump this thread. I got behind in versions and just updated to 1.2.10 from 1.1.11 skipping all the intermediate updates. Everything has been working perfectly. I now wish I had done a backup and paid close attention to all the settings before I updated. When I ran the 1.2.10 Setup in "No further action is is required." mode I opened epg123.exe and saw my schedules direct credentials were missing -- they were just there in 1.1.11 before I ran setup. Also I couldn't remember the details of the configuration panel where the checkboxes were all cleared. I believe my settings were how the pdf guide shows under "Select Customization Options."

Did I do something wrong other than get really out of date and skip too many updates? Is there a way I can confirm the settings I had before running 1.2.10 Setup? I can't seem to find a backup from before the upgrade.

Thanks for a very useful utility!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 am

sswing wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:36 am I hope it's ok to bump this thread. I got behind in versions and just updated to 1.2.10 from 1.1.11 skipping all the intermediate updates. Everything has been working perfectly. I now wish I had done a backup and paid close attention to all the settings before I updated. When I ran the 1.2.10 Setup in "No further action is is required." mode I opened epg123.exe and saw my schedules direct credentials were missing -- they were just there in 1.1.11 before I ran setup. Also I couldn't remember the details of the configuration panel where the checkboxes were all cleared. I believe my settings were how the pdf guide shows under "Select Customization Options."

Did I do something wrong other than get really out of date and skip too many updates? Is there a way I can confirm the settings I had before running 1.2.10 Setup? I can't seem to find a backup from before the upgrade.

Thanks for a very useful utility!
Looks to me you didn't install to the same location as v1.1.11. Find where v1.1.11 resided and copy the epg123.cfg file into your new location. You will need to delete and recreate your scheduled task for the new location as well. If there are any other issues, let me know and I'll help out.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io