EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Einstien

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Einstien » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:50 am

I have noticed using the EPG123 guide tool for OTA channels, that the 'tuning info' decimal number is always the same as the guide number decimal number, when this number in actuality is not always the same number. Specifically, the 'tuning info' number following the decimal point (that is the physical channel's program number) is in many cases not the same number as the guide numbers decimal number, but is listed as so in the Tuning Info column. The discrepancy does not seem to affect the performance of the actual mapping though. For example, in Los Angeles, channel 6.1 is physical channel 22-6, however it will always show up in the tuning info column as 22.1. Guide number 5.4 is actually physical channel 31-6, but will display as 31.4 in the tuning info, etc.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Einstien wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:50 am I have noticed using the EPG123 guide tool for OTA channels, that the 'tuning info' decimal number is always the same as the guide number decimal number, when this number in actuality is not always the same number. Specifically, the 'tuning info' number following the decimal point (that is the physical channel's program number) is in many cases not the same number as the guide numbers decimal number, but is listed as so in the Tuning Info column. The discrepancy does not seem to affect the performance of the actual mapping though. For example, in Los Angeles, channel 6.1 is physical channel 22-6, however it will always show up in the tuning info column as 22.1. Guide number 5.4 is actually physical channel 31-6, but will display as 31.4 in the tuning info, etc.
This is a limitation? of WMC itself in reporting what the tuning information is. The structure of the tuning info in the WMC database is the physical channel number, the logical channel number, and a subchannel number. There is no distinction for a physical subchannel number and a logical subchannel number. My assumption is, WMC will always designate the primary subchannel as number 1, regardless of any information provided in the stream itself. The GUI just reports what WMC says the tuning info is... no bug here.

Like you said, it doesn't affect the tuning ability, and it won't affect the mapping of the channels to listings since I use the logical channel numbers for that. Since there is no impact, I haven't tried to pursue this any further.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Einstien

Post by Einstien » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. I figured the reporting was academic and the real info was in the actual data stream. BTW, thanks for a great great product and saving WMC! I made a donation, and left a comment in Introducing EPG123. I had a question there about the mini-guide, if you get a chance. Thanks again, and again, and again and....

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:02 am

Einstien wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:46 pm Thanks for the reply. I figured the reporting was academic and the real info was in the actual data stream. BTW, thanks for a great great product and saving WMC! I made a donation, and left a comment in Introducing EPG123. I had a question there about the mini-guide, if you get a chance. Thanks again, and again, and again and....
Yes, and thank you very much. I think I recall something concerning the timeout for the mini-guide being in a MCML resource file, not a registry. I'll poke around, but it looks like it is around 9-10 seconds already... how much time do you need?
- Gary

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 am

First noticed this with 1.2.27 and it's still present in 1.2.28.

The last stage of the SAVE & EXECUTE process (and the regular nightly task update) is the import of the final results into WMC. This is working fine, but for some reason the window title bar no longer shows the text that used to be shown advising the step description of "importing MXF into WMC" or something like that.

In other words that import window has an empty title bar now. Works fine even without the window title bar text, but it would be nice to see the text again.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:11 am

DSperber wrote:First noticed this with 1.2.27 and it's still present in 1.2.28.

The last stage of the SAVE & EXECUTE process (and the regular nightly task update) is the import of the final results into WMC. This is working fine, but for some reason the window title bar no longer shows the text that used to be shown advising the step description of "importing MXF into WMC" or something like that.

In other words that import window has an empty title bar now. Works fine even without the window title bar text, but it would be nice to see the text again.
Did you change your display text size? I handle it in the GUIs but didn't do anything for the progress from. I'll put it on the list.

Thank you.
- Gary

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:09 am

Yes, I'm running with medium 125% text size. But I've always run like that. So in order for me to have noticed the absence of title bar text it must have been there at one time, even with my 125% text size setting. Has something changed lately with the drawing of the sequence of windows that would make it show up (i.e. no title bar text) now when it didn't before?

Anyway, I just had occasion to do another SAVE & EXECUTE and noticed that all of the windows that appear don't have any title bar text. I thought it was only the final "importing" window that was the issue, but I guess they all are affected by whatever is this culprit. But the earlier windows have imbedded text over the fuel gauges which identifies what that gauge is for, so maybe I just never noticed that the title bar text was always missing throughout. The final window gauge is simply titled "progress" so it hit me immediately that the familiar "importing MXF into WMC" was no longer visible somewhere.

Not critical, as the functionality still works 100% correctly. It's only the cosmetics that need touch-up.

Thanks.

Einstien

Post by Einstien » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:25 am

Hello again,
about the mini guide timeout. Personally, I would like it to stay on until I hit the back button to kill it, but any longer option would be welcome. What bugs me, is it times out after a few seconds, then when you re-initiate it, it does not pick up where you left off, so you have to start from the begging all over again. It's a handy little feature as you can still monitor your channel while stepping through the guide. I think it would be a nice feature in the tweaks if possible. Thanks
BTW, sorry for the long post in Introducing EPG123. I am just so excited and impressed - GENIUS!

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 pm

I've been trying to record The Orville (9pm on Thur FOX) and all I get is the news from 6pm. Very frustrating.

I just checked the FOX schedule on WMC and it shows Orville, 6pm Thursday. That explains why the recording is wrong.

Any suggestion where I mixed this up? Should I just reset (delete, reinstall) my guide import?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:52 pm

ruff_hi wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 pm I've been trying to record The Orville (9pm on Thur FOX) and all I get is the news from 6pm. Very frustrating.

I just checked the FOX schedule on WMC and it shows Orville, 6pm Thursday. That explains why the recording is wrong.

Any suggestion where I mixed this up? Should I just reset (delete, reinstall) my guide import?
What is your lineup? Are all of your channels off by 3 hours, or just FOX?
- Gary

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:54 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:52 pm What is your lineup? Are all of your channels off by 3 hours, or just FOX?
Good question. MSNBC guide is showing Blindspot tonight at 5pm ... it should be 8pm.

My computer is on Boston time and I am importing a Boston verizon guide. I guess I could reset the PC clock?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Yah, I would suspect something is wrong with your clock. Make sure your timezone is correct. A sync won't necessarily work if your current time on the computer is too far off from reality (combination of selected timezone and station time).
- Gary

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 pm Yah, I would suspect something is wrong with your clock. Make sure your timezone is correct. A sync won't necessarily work if your current time on the computer is too far off from reality (combination of selected timezone and station time).
Bah ... timezone was California. I knew I would miss something after burning my Win7 install to the ground and reinstalling. Fixed now, swapped to internet time and Blindspot is back at 8pm. Guess I can't trust those recordings that I have from the last 2 or 3 weeks :(.

Thanks for your replies.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 am

Einstien wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:25 am Hello again,
about the mini guide timeout. Personally, I would like it to stay on until I hit the back button to kill it, but any longer option would be welcome. What bugs me, is it times out after a few seconds, then when you re-initiate it, it does not pick up where you left off, so you have to start from the begging all over again. It's a handy little feature as you can still monitor your channel while stepping through the guide. I think it would be a nice feature in the tweaks if possible. Thanks
BTW, sorry for the long post in Introducing EPG123. I am just so excited and impressed - GENIUS!
Hadn't forgotten about you. The registry key you are looking for is...

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoConstants]
"NowPlayingTimeout"=dword:00002ee0
The default (00002ee0) is 12000 milliseconds, or 12 seconds. You could set it to dword:0001d4c0 which is 120000 ms, or 120 seconds. Should be plenty of time.
- Gary

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 am

garyan2 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:11 am
DSperber wrote:First noticed this with 1.2.27 and it's still present in 1.2.28.

Did you change your display text size? I handle it in the GUIs but didn't do anything for the progress from. I'll put it on the list.

Thank you.
This absent text in all window title bars (resulting from 125% display text size) is still present with 1.2.10. Was it supposed to be fixed in this version of EPG123, or is it still on the to-do list for a future version?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:20 pm

DSperber wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 amThis absent text in all window title bars (resulting from 125% display text size) is still present with 1.2.10. Was it supposed to be fixed in this version of EPG123, or is it still on the to-do list for a future version?
Nothing got fixed because I couldn't recreate it. Are you using a desktop theme that may change the title font?

I'll do some looking to see if there is something I need to do for the title bar that is similar to what I had to do with the rest of the form constructs for the >100% text size settings.
- Gary

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Yes, there is a desktop theme. This is a brand new Lenovo M910t desktop with Win7 pre-installed. Lenovo installs their own "Think" background, either black (which I've selected) or blue.

Aside from that I have selected the standard 125% display size radio button for fonts.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:12 pm

I am running Windows Aero.

I have not myself changed the Menu font or size, so I assume this is what occurs when you select 125%.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Probably should also mention that my desktop is two monitors "extended", both being 24" Eizo S2433W and configured as 1920x1200 (native).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:32 am

This is what I see with 125%. This is with the default Windows 7 Aero Theme.
epg123_at_125pct.png
Maybe it is a case that because I am using a VM, and it can't properly display the Aero Themes, that I am not able to duplicate what you are seeing. I'll do some research and maybe find a computer to install Win7 on to check it out.
- Gary