Ceton infiniTV PCIE 4 Tuner Not Found

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
highflier

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton infiniTV PCIE 4 Tuner Not Found

Post by highflier » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 am

Although I already have a Hauppauge tuner in my main machine, I am currently trying to build my first dedicated HTPC. I bought 2 used PCIE InfiniTV 4 tuners off of ebay that seem to have been previously part of an ATX UCrypt System (more information about UCrypt can be found in this manual https://atxnetworks.com/wp-content/uplo ... Manual.pdf). WMC will not detect either of these tuners, and the Ceton Diagnostics Tool doesn't detect them either (I am only trying to get 1 to work at a time).

I started off with a fresh install of Windows 7, and I have scoured the forums trying everything. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Ceton driver and WMC multiple times, as well as reinstalling the entire OS twice. The devices shows up as a network adapter in Device Manager, and displays "enabled" in the Network Connections/change adapter settings. DHCP Server address is set to 192.168.200.1 and the IPv4 address set to 192.168.200.2 in the Network Connection status details. If I browse to 192.168.200.1, I get a 404 page. Ceton's Diagnostics Tool buttons on the "Devices" tab display success dialogs after running, but it have no effect.

Device Manager says the driver version is 1.0.2.4, but is it possible that this obtained non-standard firmware when it was part of the UCrypt system and that is why it isn't playing nice with Windows? Do my symptoms point to bad hardware?

highflier

Post by highflier » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 am

Update: Giving up on the 2 cards from my first post, I purchased a new unit on ebay. I re-installed windows 7 yet again, and I am still having problems. The device shows up as a network adapter in Device Manager with no errors. I can now successfully browse to 192.168.200.1, and although the pages load, all fields in each tab read "Not Available". The "logs" tab has a number of entries all dated Jan 1st. Windows Media Center Live TV Setup still says "Tuner Not Found" (tuner not detected). Ceton's diagnostic tool buttons on the "Devices" tab display success dialogs after running, but still seem to have no effect, the tool also reports InfiniTV is not detected. Is there anything else I can try?

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Do you have a CableCARD installed in the InfiniTV and connected to a Tuning Adapter? Nothing will really work right unless you do.

With the CableCARD inserted, in Windows Media Center you have to run the Digital Cable Advisor first (located in Extras with the tile icon of a cable end) to locate and set up cableCARD tuners.

Then go to Settings, TV, and set up the TV signal, which will identify the tuners, search for channels, and is where you either choose to use the built-in TV Guide or decline it so you can use epg123.

Once that is all successfully completed, you will be able to use the tuner.

highflier

Post by highflier » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:35 pm

My cable provider broadcasts their basic package un-encrypted (ClearQAM) so I should not need a tuning adapter. I do have a CableCard that came with the unit when I purchased it from ebay, and I left it in the InfiniTV even though I shouldn't need it either. I have successfully ran the Digital Cable Advisor, and from Ceton's installation instructions running the Live TV Setup in WMC should be my next step, but as I mentioned I get a "Tuner Not Found" message when attempting this step.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:36 am

OK, a few things wrong here.

First of all, a tuning adapter has nothing to do with encryption, so saying that you should not need a tuning adapter for unencrypted channels is not correct. However, it is unlikely that your cable company has SDV channels (the ones you need a tuning adapter for) in their basic package.
Second of all, a CableCard is specific to the cable company, so it is very unusual that you would get a CableCard with your Ceton device from eBay. The person selling the device should have given that CableCard back to their cable company (there is usually a monthly fee to rent the CableCard from them), not sold it with the device.

So my advice, if you really just wanted to tune ClearQAM channels, would have been to remove the CableCard from the Ceton device. If all the channels you want are truly ClearQAM, it should be able to tune them without the CableCard. If any of them are encrypted, then you would need to rent a CableCard from your cable provider, the one you got with the device is unlikely to work with your provider.

However I found this post: viewtopic.php?t=2438

Which seems to indicate that this Ceton device cannot be used with ClearQAM unless it is first set up with a CableCard from the cable company. The Ceton apparently needs the CableCard (at least for initial setup) after which it can be removed and used without the CableCard for tuning ClearQAM channels.

Note that the thread is not clear on this, it may be possible (with latest Ceton drivers) to get it working without needing a CableCard from your provider. So I would try this first (remove the CableCard) before going through the hassle of getting one from your service provider.

If you need to rent a CableCard from your cable company (at least for one day), once you have it set up and working with ClearQAM, you can return the CableCard to your cable company. But I would make sure to test that all the channels you want are working with the CableCard removed before you return it, as it is unusual for a cable company to have their channels in ClearQAM (other than the local channels). Hopefully you are not confusing encryption with copy-protected channels, these are two different things. A channel can be "ClearQAM", "encrypted", or "encrypted and copy protected (copy once)". You need the CableCard for any channel that is not ClearQAM.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:00 am

Which version of .net 4.x are you running? My understanding is that this broke the Ceton install and causes what you are describing. Uninstalling .net 4.6+ then doing ceton install should work right then you can install .net 4.7 again.

highflier

Post by highflier » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:05 am

My earlier post should have been more descriptive that the signal is broadcast, and not SDV. All of my TVs are able to tune the 200+ ClearQAM channels with no STB. I guess I was hoping that the CableCard from who knows what cable provider would trick the InfiniTV into tuning the ClearQAM channels, as I seen the linked thread on that topic previously. It just seems strange that Ceton's diagnostic tool reports "InfiniTV is not detected" before even attempting to tune for channels with or without a CableCard.

I thought I checked on my .NET version previously, but I will take another look at it.

highflier

Post by highflier » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:50 am

Windows update must have installed .NET version 4.7 since I last checked. I uninstalled 4.7 and reinstalled the Ceton Software. Nothing changed, same issues. I got frustrated and went as far as doing another complete reinstall of windows 7, blocking windows update from installing anything .NET related and I still have the same issues. The InfiniTV appears in Device Manager as a network adapter, the network adapter status details all seem correct, the 192.168.200.1 webpage displays correctly but all fields show "Not Available" except for the logs, and WMC says no tuner detected, same with Ceton's diagnostic tool.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:00 pm

have you tried reset network settings, clear tuner configuration, discover tuners in the ceton diagnostic tool? I believe after resetting network settings you need to reboot the pc. This sometimes allows the tuner to be found by WMC again once you use the discover tuners button. From a elevated command prompt what does c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery show?

highflier

Post by highflier » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:52 am

Thank you for all your help.
I have tried, and just re-tried, resetting network settings with reboot, clearing tuner configuration, and discovering tuners in the Ceton diagnostic tool and it seems to have no effect.

The recommended command seems to run for 45s, then returns nothing
Attachments
Capture.png
Capture.png (9.3 KiB) Viewed 3092 times

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:32 am

Well I don't know what to suggest next. Maybe attempt to update the firmware? It's quite possible that you got scammed with faulty cards from eBay. Here is a post describing the upgrade path if you want EAS message disable to function: viewtopic.php?p=113655#p113655

ninianne98

Post by ninianne98 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Hoping this is helpful for you as I had to do the reinstall/redetect dance over the weekend.

I recently had a power outage and decided to rebuild my box due to issues that manifested in the days after (it was partly that the cable card had gone bad). Even re-pairing a new mcard with the one tuner and then with my backup one didn't help with interrupted recordings, so I ordered a new SSD to do a fresh reinstall. I did the PlayReady backup and windows activation file copy since this is an inplace re-install so I could retain playback of the Protected content and it saves me from the reactivation dance. I also use EPG 123 and mcBuddy and I copied their data for restore later. I went through this about 4 times before I gave up installing any more than minimal windows updates a some appeared to impact tuner performance.

I don't believe it is .NET 4.6+ per se causing issues with detection as I have that installed prior to doing my config. I installed Win 7 Ultimate w/ sp1, then immediately applied at the earliest opportunity the June 2017 and Nov 2017 windows updates - not rebooting until running the final msu (I have a lot of computers so I keep an archive of the monthly patches) and doing these installs right away gets around issues with windows update that would break Windows Update with a stock SP1 new install. I also install Kernel-Mode Driver Framework which is required for some of the Intel drivers. I then install all the vcredist from 2005-2013 x86 & x64 and then .Net 4.5, (and then after installing network drivers) 5.6.2 and 4.7 (4.6+ complains about certificate issues if it can't hit the internet). I also get my nVidia and other OS core Mobo drivers installed - I'm using a Gigabyte board and this is a home brew system. This is all BEFORE I do anything with WMC or the Ceton.

I then load up the Ceton drivers, and the card detects just fine (it may need a reboot first, but sometimes it pops right up). I just have to give it 5-8 minutes to settle before trying to do the tuner setup (sometimes cycling the Media Center Receiver service a few times helps getting to it earlier). Where I get problems is if I take windows updates that are presented from a check for updates operation (so I'm using the don't install, just tell me they are there setting). Generally the Important ones prior to Jan 2018 seem to work OK, but even when I limit to just the pre 2015 optional but recommended updates I get problems and wind up restoring from a prior step's backup /start over. Clicking Discover Tuners in the Ceton diag does seem to help, seems like if I click it until the web UI for the card shows green status on all tuners.

jwhowsez

Post by jwhowsez » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:49 pm

highflier wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 am Although I already have a Hauppauge tuner in my main machine, I am currently trying to build my first dedicated HTPC. I bought 2 used PCIE InfiniTV 4 tuners off of ebay that seem to have been previously part of an ATX UCrypt System (more information about UCrypt can be found in this manual https://atxnetworks.com/wp-content/uplo ... Manual.pdf). WMC will not detect either of these tuners, and the Ceton Diagnostics Tool doesn't detect them either (I am only trying to get 1 to work at a time).

I started off with a fresh install of Windows 7, and I have scoured the forums trying everything. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Ceton driver and WMC multiple times, as well as reinstalling the entire OS twice. The devices shows up as a network adapter in Device Manager, and displays "enabled" in the Network Connections/change adapter settings. DHCP Server address is set to 192.168.200.1 and the IPv4 address set to 192.168.200.2 in the Network Connection status details. If I browse to 192.168.200.1, I get a 404 page. Ceton's Diagnostics Tool buttons on the "Devices" tab display success dialogs after running, but it have no effect.

Device Manager says the driver version is 1.0.2.4, but is it possible that this obtained non-standard firmware when it was part of the UCrypt system and that is why it isn't playing nice with Windows? Do my symptoms point to bad hardware?
I didnt go through all he posts, but I knowfor my set-up my cable company requires a tuner adapter and a cable card. Without the tuning adapter you wont be able to complete set-up. For me tunung adapater came with the cable card and didnt cost anything. and only $2 for cable card. been using InfiniTV 6 PCIe on my windows 7x64 and before the 6 i used the PCIE4 and between them had over 5 years of error free cable TV using windows media center. thats why wont upgrade to windows 10!!.

highflier

Post by highflier » Sat May 18, 2019 11:00 pm

I gave up on this issue for quite a while. I ended up buying 2 more infiniTVs on ebay and finally got one to work. It seems like people are selling their old tuners on ebay after they quit working, because I have purchased 5 of them now and only 1 works.

verizonguy

Post by verizonguy » Sun May 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Can i ask what you did to get it working?

My PCIe 4 wont flip over.
WMC gives a error after rebooting.
I can call Comcast, give them my new Data ID and in 5 mins I get TV.

Do I have something I can check or change?