Using Google's mesh wifi

Roginator

HTPC Specs: Show details

Using Google's mesh wifi

Post by Roginator » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 am

I just set up a mesh network Saturday. The base unit is downstairs where I've had a Windows 7 WMC setup for many years. One satellite unit is in upstairs bedroom to handle TV and another is in my "office" upstairs where I have my old WMC computer and a new Recast. I've wired everything useful to the mesh units.

I found I can now use the old upstairs computer as a sort of attached storage device simply by adding folders on it to my main WMC computer downstairs. I can even watch shows from that old computer on my bedroom computer with only a little slowdown.

So in essence, I'm using it for what I got the Recast for -- using the upstairs location to get OTA shows using an indoor antenna. (I have one of those 2-tuner Hauppauge USB sticks there, although I could probably just use another HDHomerun OTA device.)

I can't seem to use sleep on that upstairs computer or it falls asleep while I'm trying to watch on my bedroom TV.

adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:08 am

What's great about the Google unit is that you can wire directly to the satellites.