Incorrect NFL games in guide

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
abs7125

HTPC Specs: Show details

Incorrect NFL games in guide

Post by abs7125 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:12 pm

My WMC guide was showing the Green Bay game on FOX in the guide, how ever it was actually the Saints game playing. This has happened a few times now, with NFL games. What can be done, so it reflects the correct game? FYI, im with Comcast, and when I check the Comcast guide, it shows the correct game.

abs7125

Post by abs7125 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Having the same problem again, today. Been a week since my original post, haven't seen a response yet??

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Seems to me you should take this up with Schedules Direct, as they provide the guide data?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:46 pm

abs7125 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 pm Having the same problem again, today. Been a week since my original post, haven't seen a response yet??
I hadn't responded because there are just too many possibilities for the reason behind the guide showing the incorrect game. My initial thought is this is due to the NFL changing what is broadcast due to team rankings towards the super bowl. Those changes, when they occur, need to filter through the guide providers until it is eventually ready for download (NFL->Network->Gracenote->Schedules Direct->EPG123). The games haven't even started yet today so what are you basing the correctness of your guide on?

Check zap2it.com.
They are sourced by Gracenote as well and changes are almost immediate as far as I can tell. If it disagrees with your guide then do a manual update ([Save & Execute]). Note that last I heard, Schedules Direct updates their servers every 12 hours (used to be 6 hours), so even if zap2it is updated and Gracenote is updated, Schedules Direct still may have the old game depending on when the change happened.

If zap2it is correct, then we can check the contents of the MXF file. It could be that WMC itself is not accepting the change and there are 2 ways to force it to update. The first would be to remove the channel from download and perform an update. Once complete, add the channel back in and do an update again. The second would be to perform a [Rebuild WMC Database], but this will cause you to lose all your recording histories.

What lineup are you using, what channel and what time slot and I can tell you what is being provided by Schedules Direct.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:12 pm

MMUI+ looks like it scrapes NFL game info from MSN Sports, which should stay more up to date. I don't even look at the guide for NFL games, and I Havent seen MMUI+ be wrong yet. Just an idea.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:08 pm

abs7125 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 pm Having the same problem again, today. Been a week since my original post, haven't seen a response yet??
I'm showing the following games for your area:
654 KUTVDT; Miami Dolphins at Minnesota Vikings
654 KUTVDT; New England Patriots at Pittsburgh Steelers
655 KSTUDT; Dallas Cowboys at Indianapolis Colts

This is what Schedules Direct is providing (Gracenote) and what TV Guide shows (Rovi).
- Gary

abs7125

Post by abs7125 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 pm

That is what I see if I look at the Comcast guide, however, MC guide is showing Green bay on channel 655. See attached screen shot
Attachments
20181216_123612.jpg

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:41 pm

abs7125 wrote:That is what I see if I look at the Comcast guide, however, MC guide is showing Green bay on channel 655. See attached screen shot
Well I know the data is right, so it must be WMC. Did you do another update to see if the listings change?
- Gary

abs7125

Post by abs7125 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes I did, and no change. The guide info is from epg. not rovi. I verified that.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm

WMC does some interesting logic checks to determine whether or not to make a specific change to a listing based on current the current program type, the start and stop times, and the incoming "different" data. This could be one of those instances where it just won't take it in.

Just need to make sure of one more thing is that the MXF file import is completing successfully. If you have the green EPG123 logo on the WMC home screen with today's date, that will answer that question.

More detail of a method to force the update.
1) Use EPG123 Configuration, remove channel 655 from the channels to download, and do a [Save & Execute]
2) Once file import is complete, use the configuration again to add channel 655 back in the list to download and do another [Save & Execute]

What this does is removes 655 completely from the lineup on the import from #1. Adding the channel back in and importing should make WMC think everything is new and the correct data will be accepted.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm ...
More detail of a method to force the update.
1) Use EPG123 Configuration, remove channel 655 from the channels to download, and do a [Save & Execute]
2) Once file import is complete, use the configuration again to add channel 655 back in the list to download and do another [Save & Execute]
Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but this is interesting...

Assuming that removing the channel, importing, then adding the channel back and importing is a workaround for the problem with WMC not importing changes correctly, I am wondering if something could be implemented where it does this automatically for certain specified channels.

I only record from a limited set of channels, so making sure they have correct guide data would be the goal. Removing the entire guide listings for the channel before each daily update, and then adding them back and updating again would be a decent way to make sure you have proper listings for those important channels.

You may even be able to go further and only do this if there were updates for already existing (cached) data rather than just new data, and in that case maybe you only need to clear out the listing entry that changed (perhaps from the prior feed, or from the current new feed if it works), import that, then import the data with the newly changed listing.
So essentially, instead of changing the existing listing, you are: deleting that listing (so it leaves an empty space), then importing the data that has the new listing.

If you can't do it on a per-listing basis (which I am guessing would be a bit complicated), perhaps do it on a per-day basis instead, just clear out all listings for that day for that channel (only if there were any updates to that day/channel), import the feed, then add the listings back to the feed and import that feed again. Only trigger the re-indexing in WMC after you imported the second feed.

I see this problem with WMC not updating listings quite a bit, and I would not be surprised if many people have this problem and just don't know it (thinking it is just bad source data). This may go a long way to making peoples data more accurate. Maybe a study should be conducted to see just how bad this bug is and how much data goes unupdated. It is a shame to have access to some pretty accurate listings but be unable to use it due to a WMC bug that does not allow the importing of that data.

abs7125

Post by abs7125 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:33 am

Thank you to everyone who offered advise / assistance on this. It looks like removing the channel from the lineup, then re adding it, fixed the issue. This is one of those bizarre situations, that probably doesn't happen to often.

Thanks again for the help!