Massive SDV fail - Spectrum/TWC/Insight

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Randyored

HTPC Specs: Show details

Massive SDV fail - Spectrum/TWC/Insight

Post by Randyored » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:51 am

Hey all!

I have been running WIN7 MC with a Ceton InfiniTV4 and a Moto cablecard that has been working virtually issue free. I have 6 Xbox 360s to use a extenders. The world was good! I even survived a digital conversion! Yay, more room for new channels. All this on older Insight Motorola based infrastructure. But, it is now Spectrum.

Then... I got the fateful letter letting me know that they were implementing SDV and I would need a tuning adapter. I call and they sent it Motorola tuning adapter) and we all waited for the switchover. That day came and I lost 80-100 channels. Poof gone! As a result, I have had 3 trucks rolled to my house with techs calling into the SDV team to figure out WHAT THE HECK is going on. I have 3 tuning adapters tried. One tech told me none of the digital adapters were working in the area. Did I say none! Yes, I did.

I have had several calls from Spectrum asking me to check the tuning adapter as they forgot to add some code that was required. They tell me that it is a "Tuning Adapter/headend" issue. Anyway, no dice. :oops:

So, here I sit. No news for weeks. I find another SDV channel not working about very other day. They wont tell me the channels that are SDV.

Ceton Tuning Adapter tab says "Waiting for Tuning Adapter to be ready". "Upstream not connecting", and " Tuning Resolver disabled". Everything else seem fine. I receive a channel map on the tuning adapter.

Not sure if anyone from Ceton "ever" monitors this forum. But, I need some help. Anyone have any ideas, even remote ideas?

Help!

RandyO

Space

Post by Space » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:27 am

I really don't know much about SDV, but what little I know I posted about here.

It sounds to me like the cable company just hasn't set up the system correctly in your area. If they say multiple people in the area are having the same issue, then there is nothing you can do but complain to them that they need to fix it ASAP.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:18 pm

In general, start with making sure their various cable boxes work first. This could be a problem deeper than even they realize.

I've been there done that. If THEIR stuff doesn't work, they have to fix that long before you can be fixed. And they WILL fix things for *their* equipment.

If all their cable boxes work, then at least you know where the problem lies.

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 am

adam1991 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:18 pm In general, start with making sure their various cable boxes work first. This could be a problem deeper than even they realize.

I've been there done that. If THEIR stuff doesn't work, they have to fix that long before you can be fixed. And they WILL fix things for *their* equipment.

If all their cable boxes work, then at least you know where the problem lies.
Well, I didn't tell everyone that channel that are NOT SDV still work fine.

I guess I will need to "cut the cord". I seem to be in a cable monopoly area for TWC/Spectrum.

So... Unless I can get Spectrum to call me back... I will have to reluctantly shut down the cable crippled WMC.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:24 pm

DSLReports Spectrum forum users often mention filing an FCC complaint to light a fire under 'em. Years ago, it took Charter (too many) weeks to get it right, but it's been rock solid since.

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:39 pm

d00zah wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:24 pm DSLReports Spectrum forum users often mention filing an FCC complaint to light a fire under 'em. Years ago, it took Charter (too many) weeks to get it right, but it's been rock solid since.
I filed an FCC complaint. And I told TWC/Spectrum that I did.

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Hey all, Closing this issue out. This was resolved 2 months ago. My issue was at the dataplant. BTW, different servers for the STB, Tivo and WMC. Checking STB would have shown that they work. Turned out it was 1 switch and it was resolved. This is after 2 months, 4 trucks being rolled and multiple teleconferences. It was really irritating, but it is all good.

BTW #2, I sent emails to the heads of Spectrum at the same time I posted the FCC complaint. I received an email from one of the senior executive VPs apologizing and told me they would be resolving this ASAP. That is the key to making the folks at the local team responding in a more expedient time frame. They took my tuning adapter and tried it at several nodes and it failed. They back tracked all the way to the server room in the dataplant for my area.

You can lock this thread. I am satisfied.

RandyO

Space

Post by Space » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:27 am

I find it unlikely that there are different servers for TiVo and WMC, they don't even know what WMC is (plus it is not really WMC, it is the HDHomerun Prime that they would have to work with). I can believe different servers for STB and non-STB.

You said that they said that no "digital adapters" in the area were working, not sure if you meant "tuning adapters", if so, then it is unlikely that they were all HDHomerun Prime devices and were more likely TiVo devices. So unless they had the same problem on multiple servers, it was most likely just one server that served all tuning adapters.