Netflix 5.1 audio?

fa1321tx

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix 5.1 audio?

Post by fa1321tx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:53 pm

I noticed on my PS3 that Netflix will play certain movies & TV shows in 5.1 audio but they do not in WMC7? Anyone know if its a setting or the reason why it doesn't in WMC7?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 pm

The primary reason is because Netflix doesn't send 5.1 audio to PCs. The secondary reason is because Microsoft can't be satisfied with building their technologies around established standards like Dolby Digital. Even on Amazon, where 5.1 audio is available for PC, it's not in Dolby Digital. It's in WMA Pro, which only certain receivers can decode.

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Wow looks like my PS3 will be staying around for Blu-Ray & now Netflix too. I just rented the Rum Diaries from Amazon so I guess I will see if my AVR is one that decodes WMA Pro but I also wonder if my GT430 will pass WMA Pro to the AVR??? Hmmm....

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:07 pm

If Windows detects that the receiver can decode WMA Pro (for an HDMI connection) or you tell Windows that your receiver can decode WMA Pro (for a S/PDIF connection), Windows will try to bitstream WMA Pro to the receiver whenever WMA Pro audio is detected.

The big thing is whether or not your receiver can decode WMA Pro. Decoding support for WMA Pro is rare (I believe only certain Pioneer receivers support the format). If your receiver supports WMA Pro, you should see a logo on the receiver with all the other logos, or it may be on the manual.

It really pisses me off that Microsoft couldn't just jump on the bandwagon like everyone else and built their technology around existing Dolby and DTS codecs. Instead, they wanted to re-invent the wheel, and because of their stubbornness, we all have to suffer.

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:48 pm

Nope played in stereo that sucks. I guess the PS3 with Netflixs & Vudu will be the way to go for online movies if you want 5.1 audio.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:50 pm

This is an interesting topic. Two Questions:

1) Couldn't Amazon make their movie downloads in Dolby Digital?
2) If you have a receiver with discreet analog inputs and 5.1 analog out on your sound card, couldn't you just connect the analog outs to your receiver's analog ins?

Edit: Of course, I understand that Netflix can't be played in 5.1, even on an analog connection... but my 2nd question was relating to the decoding of WMA Pro.

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:01 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:This is an interesting topic. Two Questions:

2) If you have a receiver with discreet analog inputs and 5.1 analog out on your sound card, couldn't you just connect the analog outs to your receiver's analog ins?

but my 2nd question was relating to the decoding of WMA Pro.
I would have to change my sound settings every time I wanted to watch a movie from Amazon maybe in windows & wmc set up seems like too much trouble. But its pretty surprising that this is an issue I mean my OTA is 5.1 how hard can it be to add this to Netflix & Amazon?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:52 pm

I see your point, fa1321tx, but if you use Event Ghost, IR Server Suite, or something similar... you could probably setup a macro that changes the sound settings for you at the press of a button on the remote.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:09 pm

I actually find that solution unacceptable. Receivers do not always treat analog inputs the same way they do digital inputs. As an example, my own receiver does not allow me to engage any THX processing on analog inputs. It renders a lot of the technology in my receiver useless. It also seems like I ran into another problem with analog input...I think it had something to do with calibration, but I can't remember for sure. It seems like there was an issue with speaker level adjustment or delay or something like that when I was using analog inputs.

To answer your first question, the answer is yes, on the condition that Amazon must stop ripping content to WMV. WMV does not support Dolby Digital. However, due to Microsoft's DRM reputation, I don't think it's likely that Amazon or anyone else will be moving away from Microsoft technologies.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm

richard1980 wrote:I actually find that solution unacceptable. Receivers do not always treat analog inputs the same way they do digital inputs. As an example, my own receiver does not allow me to engage any THX processing on analog inputs. It renders a lot of the technology in my receiver useless. It also seems like I ran into another problem with analog input...I think it had something to do with calibration, but I can't remember for sure. It seems like there was an issue with speaker level adjustment or delay or something like that when I was using analog inputs.

To answer your first question, the answer is yes, on the condition that Amazon must stop ripping content to WMV. WMV does not support Dolby Digital. However, due to Microsoft's DRM reputation, I don't think it's likely that Amazon or anyone else will be moving away from Microsoft technologies.
I understand the limitations, Richard... but it would give you 5.1 audio from files that have 5.1 audio encoded in a format that is not supported by your receiver. It wouldn't be my first choice either. Not only would it be cumbersome, but most on-board analog sound cards are pretty noisy.

I hear what you're saying about DRM, but I don't think we have much choice in the matter.