HomeRunPrime 6 Tuners

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
mldenison

HTPC Specs: Show details

HomeRunPrime 6 Tuners

Post by mldenison » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Since the 3 channel tuners have been discontinued by SiliconDust, what's the consensus about the viability of the 6 channel tuners?

It's been over a year since SiliconDust first started talking about these. Since then, there's been no mention of them for the most part.

It looks to me that they've encountered some hardware/firmware issues that they can't solve or they've decided not to support TV tuners any longer.

In either case, I wish they'd be up front about them.

MediaCowboy

Post by MediaCowboy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Their website has been updated to show they are coming. When is the question.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Does this mean you are abandoning the HDHomeRun Prime?
Absolutely not. We are dedicated to cordcutters and cordshavers alike. We are even now working hard on getting the six tuner Prime ready to go, though we are unable to commit to an exact release date at this time.
https://www.silicondust.com/support/faq ... erun-prime

aseries

Post by aseries » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:19 pm

SILICONDUST site says PRIME 6 in 2019. I just wonder if they are having DCMA certification issues. I think that is why Microsoft bailed on WMC.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm just curious how many units SD expects to sell.
This is such a niche product and most of us that have the HDHomerun Prime are not necessarily going to upgrade.

We'll see about this 2019 timeframe... seems pretty vague!

toshfive

Post by toshfive » Sat May 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Even though it's just two of us in the house now with 2 primes, I'll be adding the new 6, (Maybe two)

Headless Win7 DVR, running ServerWMC for 6 RaspberryPi Kodi TV clients. Heaviest recording Starts @ 4am and after 7am (Local news, opening bell) until around 2pm, starting back up around 4pm. Along with some shows...

Since we're with FiOS, they have those music channels. 2 headless RaspberryPi's, HiFi Berry Digi-DAC hatboard, 1 pretty much streams 24/7, just simply press button on AVR remote to switch between tv audio and music. Selecting the FiOS music is done with phone.

4 (Possibly more later) In-wall RaspberryPi- HiFi Berry Digi DAC with 10" touchscreens capable of live tv, or music.

Lastly, our iPhone's both have HDhomerun app, laptops (Linux) also have Kodi & vlc....So yeah, maybe two....

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 pm

toshfive wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:50 pm Even though it's just two of us in the house now with 2 primes, I'll be adding the new 6, (Maybe two)

Headless Win7 DVR, running ServerWMC for 6 RaspberryPi Kodi TV clients. Heaviest recording Starts @ 4am and after 7am (Local news, opening bell) until around 2pm, starting back up around 4pm. Along with some shows...
What the heck are you recording at 4am-7am? News? Are you kidding me?

Honestly, I have FIOS with an upper tier package and over the recent years, I'm watching less and less broadcast TV. I find my DVR just filling up with shows I no longer really watch. Majority of content is now streamed directly through my LG OLED: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Youtube... LOTS of Youtube.

I have 2 Primes and I'll just stick with it for now. 6 tuners is enough.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:57 pm

joelkirzner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 pm
toshfive wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:50 pm Even though it's just two of us in the house now with 2 primes, I'll be adding the new 6, (Maybe two)

What the heck are you recording at 4am-7am? News? Are you kidding me?

Honestly, I have FIOS with an upper tier package and over the recent years, I'm watching less and less broadcast TV. I find my DVR just filling up with shows I no longer really watch. Majority of content is now streamed directly through my LG OLED: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Youtube... LOTS of Youtube.

I have 2 Primes and I'll just stick with it for now. 6 tuners is enough.
I use all 6 to record everything with MCEbuddy commercial free like I have Black Sheep Squadron TV series which you can't stream
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

toshfive

Post by toshfive » Wed May 15, 2019 7:06 am

YouTube app within Kodi for live global news like Sky news, Al Jazeera, Anna News (raw graphic coverage) and other stuff that I don't receive from FiOS.

If you're having issues with live playback, be sure to check/install "InputStream" & "RTMP Input", YouTube settings, enable MPEG-DASH & install Inputstream helper. Assuming you're using RaspberryPi attached on tv.

Yeah, with smart TV apps some stuff we no longer record, Amazon prime gives us HBO, Showtime, Starz and something else.

billmich

Post by billmich » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:40 pm

i give it less than 50% that this will EVER come to market.... 18 months and counting ......

itsame

Post by itsame » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Gotta question the competence of SiliconDust staff since we are approaching 2 years since they said the Prime 6 was coming soon. This is NOT SOON! They have no idea when! Doubtful if they are even working on it!!! Might be time to just drop cable, stop using tuners and just use YOUTUBETV!!!! Nice to have such a terrific alternative!!!

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:09 pm

itsame wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 pm Gotta question the competence of SiliconDust staff since we are approaching 2 years since they said the Prime 6 was coming soon. This is NOT SOON! They have no idea when! Doubtful if they are even working on it!!! Might be time to just drop cable, stop using tuners and just use YOUTUBETV!!!! Nice to have such a terrific alternative!!!
I have tried almost ALL the streaming options (free trials), and none of them comes close to delivering the video quality I'm used to seeing straight from a cablecard tuner via WMC.

Soooo, for now, I'm still sticking with my trusty HD Homerun Primes.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:52 pm

video quality on "The Real Amish Teen Mom Bridezilla Swamp Moonshiners Dynasty of Tallahassee"?

itsame

Post by itsame » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:49 am

A MAJOR PROBLEM that needs to be solved with YouTube TV. Recorded shows need to be able to be seen in a list of all shows and sorted by the time and date recorded!!! I'd like to see a list of what was recorded yesterday, not have to remember what shows were recorded then. JUST LIKE Windows Media Center does!!!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:26 am

what does Youtube TV have to do with anything?

You can always unsubscribe.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:00 am

Went to see if there was any update on the Homerun 6, and found this:
PRIME 6

To our customers and anxious fans of the HDHomeRun PRIME model and the upcoming 6 tuner version HDHomeRun PRIME6

When we launched the original PRIME 3-tuner model, there were years of development, testing, tweaking and certifications. No one knew of this because it was just released, and the units are still working today ("HDHomeRun devices just work").

We are still very excited as we plan and develop the updated generation, adding full CableCARD support of 6 simultaneous programs. We had been premature on a few occasions in announcing this product creating expectations from our fans (and the occasional dramatic naysayers).

There have been chipsets that were sold off and killed in the middle of our dev (twice). And delays due to normal development that many don't know nor deem relevant beyond "just give me my PRIME!" and we respect and love that passion.

I want to assure all of our customers and fans that we are still deep in development of the upcoming PRIME6 and we will announce only when the time is right and when we are in mass production. There will be no casual updates or dart board dates to appease the masses. A lot goes into developing new hardware, and as I have said before, "if this one was easy, everyone would have one on the market."

All of us at Silicondust want an HDHomeRun PRIME6 in our homes as much as our supporters. Keep watch and sign up for our mailing list, or follow us on social media so that you'll be the first to know when we are ready to release more information.

Sincerely,

Theodore Head
CEO/President

Space

Post by Space » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Yes, that's been up there for a while. It seems to be the norm for this product to be announced and never appear. It was first announce over 8 years ago and is still not here. That's a long time for a technology product (really any product).

I was waiting for this product to come so I could set up my first HTPC, but it never came and my set of 4 ReplayTVs were becoming less practical once my cable company went to all digital (requiring cable boxes for each one). So at the end of 2012 I bit the bullet and bought the Prime 3-tuner model. So glad I did, because WMC turned out to be way better than any of my research had discovered. I really was amazed at how good it was and how little information there was about it on the Internet, it was like it was a big secret.

Sometimes I wonder if I would still be waiting for the 6 tuner Prime if I wasn't forced to move on from ReplayTV.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Seriously, how hard is it to develop a 6-card tuner device? Ceton had the Ethernet 6 available YEARS ago.
Something is off with this company.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:27 pm

joelkirzner wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:59 pm Seriously, how hard is it to develop a 6-card tuner device? Ceton had the Ethernet 6 available YEARS ago.
In order for the product to make it to market, it has to pass CableLabs certification. There may be some issues with the certification process.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Space

Post by Space » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:00 am

I'm sure CableLabs is slowing them down, and the longer it takes, the more the chips they planned to use go out of production to they have to redesign and then re-certify with CableLabs, and so on. We know that it has happened at least twice based on statements from the SiliconDust president (they've had to change chipsets due to them going out of production) although I don't know if they have to be re-certified each time.