Zoom Level For Recorded TV

highflier

HTPC Specs: Show details

Zoom Level For Recorded TV

Post by highflier » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 am

Can anyone describe the zoom behavior, and what settings are available to change the behavior of WMC recording TV. I assume by default WMC simply records at the input resolution and leaves it up to the video player to remove letter-boxing during playback. Any way to tweak this? When DLNA streaming the recordings on my "smart" TV, there is no adjustment, nor does it look correct DLNA streaming to an XBOX one, which is abysmal as it is. Even playing the files back from newer PCs on the network that don't have WMC, it doesn't seem that WMP can zoom correctly to remove the letter-boxing.

Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Space » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 am

I think you may have to better describe the problem you are having.

Simply stated, if a video has an aspect ratio of 16:9, and you have a standard 16:9 HDTV, then you will not see any "black bars". For ALL other aspect ratios, you will see back bars. There is no way around it unless you want to cut off parts of the picture on the left and right sides.

If you are talking about a 16:9 frame in which they put a wider aspect ratio video (such as on some of the premium movie channels), these will be letterboxed with black bars on the top and bottom. While it is possible to "zoom in" while viewing the video to get rid of the bars, you are also going to cut off the sides of the movie, and who wants that?

One other thing you could be talking about is if it is an SD video in a 4:3 aspect ratio that contains a movie that has a wider aspect ratio that is letterboxed. In this scenario, the picture will be in the center of the screen surrounded by black bars on the top and bottom (these are part of the video) and also black bars on the left and right (these are generated by your TV). In this case, you CAN zoom in to minimize or get rid of the black bars (on all sides) and not cut off the sides of the movie. This is the ONLY scenario where I use any kind of zoom setting.