ModernMedia UI+ - Modern Theme and All-New Features

aquadextrous

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by aquadextrous » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:30 pm

jachin99 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 am
I'm someone who has said that WMC looks better on 8 or 10 but let me add a little bit of context to this. I have two TVs, one in my den/living room area running 7MC, which is hooked up to an LCD screen and looks about as good as any other source on the TV, which isn't bad. My second TV is a DLP, and this is where I tend to notice a difference. It seems like if that TV isn't fed a good picture, you can really tell. I can see a difference between my XBox One and WMC10 expecially on some of the lower quaility channels, and in my opinion, the PQ is much better on the computer. This also varies between channels where the crapier the picture the more noticeable the difference. On OLEDs, and LCDs I bet there won't be Too much difference as I believe those sets upconvert the picture anyway?? My guess is that upgrades to the Media Foundation give it a better picture but like I said, its a subjective thing.
I really can’t see any difference in either HD or SD video sources between the OS. WIndows 10 Itself scales better on 4K, but W10 is too much hassle for media center. Once in WMC I can’t see a difference to either the gui or video between 7 8 or 10. And some channels I have are really low quality - especially some Iptv ones.
The only time anything ever looks rough is if I set the res to 1080 - then the edges of graphics and text looks jaggedy and shades of colour look low quality in video - I guess this is just a symptom of the TVs upscaling trying to put 4 pixels into 1 on 4K TVs.
Last edited by aquadextrous on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm

W10MC wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:35 am Some minor fixes for the recording conflict graphics are in the latest build (180915). The interactive TV toolbar has also been relocated to the bottom right corner of the screen to prevent overlap with the playback indicator.
aquadextrous wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 pm Thanks again for the great work you're doing :)
Hopefully this update resolves all of the issues you have found so far.
DavidinCT wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 pm I dual boot with Windows 7 / 8.1 (as I have different config for testing). As it's for ONE machine, can I use it on both partitions ?
After you activate your primary installation, you will need to request a reset of the activation code before you can activate your test partition on the same machine.
Very quick response and resolution. Thank you.

I almost feel bad because I seem just to be highlighting issues - I really am grateful that someone is putting effort into refreshing WMC. I hope that you are getting some return on your time invested and continue to update, evolve and improve the software. I’m hopeful that ironing out the glitches from feedback helps more people download and reimburse you for your time.

In the original MMUI blurb there was a section about having other information such as weather (or maybe I dreamt this?!) on the start screen... is this still a plan?

I saw on the website that there’s a TV / video element coming soon. Is there any info on this? I’m hopeful there’s some UK content included.

Truly thankful

Aqua

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:35 pm

aquadextrous wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm I almost feel bad because I seem just to be highlighting issues - I really am grateful that someone is putting effort into refreshing WMC. I hope that you are getting some return on your time invested and continue to update, evolve and improve the software. I’m hopeful that ironing out the glitches from feedback helps more people download and reimburse you for your time.
Your feedback is very helpful in improving the interface for everyone. Thanks for your reports!
aquadextrous wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm In the original MMUI blurb there was a section about having other information such as weather (or maybe I dreamt this?!) on the start screen... is this still a plan?
The next release will include sports and weather. These features were mentioned in an article posted earlier this year.
aquadextrous wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm I saw on the website that there’s a TV / video element coming soon. Is there any info on this? I’m hopeful there’s some UK content included.
ModernMedia TV is a separate app that will be focused on streaming video. No additional details to provide at this time. Stay tuned!
-Mike

Windows 10 Media Center Community
An independent project for media application development.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:20 am

Just a heads up Mike, the info bar background is still transparent on extenders on the latest release. It also seems the "AutoSkip is on/off" text for DTB Addin was reverted at some point too, but I don't mind that. Thanks again for your hard work!

rberkenpas

Post by rberkenpas » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am

Hey Mike,

I purchased a license :)

However, I am still having issues with getting WMC to start.
My plugins:
RecordedTV
Themes, EPG etc edited by MCE Reset Toolbox.
Total media theater 5
Disabling modernUI gets WMC started again.

Any advice?

Regards Robert

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:09 pm

rberkenpas wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am Hey Mike,

My plugins:
RecordedTV
Total media theater 5

Any advice?

Regards Robert
I think you might find that MCE Reset Toolbox is your problem. I had similar issues with EPG123 guide tweaks here. You should be able to follow the instructions in that thread to fix what RT broke.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:56 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:09 pm
rberkenpas wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am Hey Mike,

My plugins:
RecordedTV
Total media theater 5

Any advice?

Regards Robert
I think you might find that MCE Reset Toolbox is your problem. I had similar issues with EPG123 guide tweaks here. You should be able to follow the instructions in that thread to fix what RT broke.
Gary, do your guide tweaks in EPG123 client still work with MMUI+?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:47 pm

jachin99 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:56 pm Gary, do your guide tweaks in EPG123 client still work with MMUI+?
Last I checked, it "worked"... meaning it didn't crash anything. You do lose some of the enhancements in the guide view, but for the most part you still get the many niceties of MMUI+. To restore the MMUI+ theme, you would just need to disable and reenable the theme in the MMUI+ GUI.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:26 am

Yup, still works.
epg123_mmuiplus.PNG
EPG123 Tweak WMC on top of MMUI+
- Gary

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 am

Version 1.1 of ModernMedia UI+ has been released along with a new build (180920) to support the addition of sports and weather. This release also provides two new options: (1) display current weather on the Start menu and (2) hide the seekbar during replay and skip commands (this was previously enabled by default internally).

Before installing the new version, it is recommended to stop the background server to ensure that all files are properly updated. To do so, open the application and click the "Stop" button in the Server section. Then, after the upgrade is complete, open the app again and click "Update Resources" to get the latest build. The server should start again automatically. If not, press the "Start" button in the Server section.
RyC wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:20 am Just a heads up Mike, the info bar background is still transparent on extenders on the latest release. It also seems the "AutoSkip is on/off" text for DTB Addin was reverted at some point too, but I don't mind that. Thanks again for your hard work!
Not sure why the background still fails to show on extenders. I don't know what is causing it to render differently from the desktop. As for the DTB Addin, there was a slight adjustment made to the generic dialog box in WMC to show message titles since some were not being displayed. Perhaps that is what you are referencing.
rberkenpas wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am I am still having issues with getting WMC to start.
My plugins:
RecordedTV
Total media theater 5
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. As Gary stated above, I suspect that MCE Reset Toolbox is causing the problem. I suggest reading through the linked thread and hopefully you will be able to resolve the issue.
-Mike

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks for the update, the skip bar seems to work as it does in stock WMC now. However, after downloading version 1.1 from the website and installing it over 1.0, I seem to have lost the activation. The activation code box shows up in the app and the watermark is back. The previous registration code does not work to re-register.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:00 am

Version 1.1.1 has been released to correct an issue that could invalidate activation following an upgrade. Thanks to RyC for reporting this issue.
RyC wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:18 am However, after downloading version 1.1 from the website and installing it over 1.0, I seem to have lost the activation. The activation code box shows up in the app and the watermark is back. The previous registration code does not work to re-register.
Sorry for the inconvenience. The bug has been fixed for future upgrades, but in your case you will need to open the hidden .id file located in C:\ProgramData\ModernMedia\UI+ in a text editor like Notepad. If there is a forward slash at the start of the second line, please remove the slash and save the file. This should restore your activation.
-Mike

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:40 pm

W10MC wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 am Version 1.1 of ModernMedia UI+ has been released along with a new build (180920) to support the addition of sports and weather. This release also provides two new options: (1) display current weather on the Start menu and (2) hide the seekbar during replay and skip commands (this was previously enabled by default internally).

Before installing the new version, it is recommended to stop the background server to ensure that all files are properly updated. To do so, open the application and click the "Stop" button in the Server section. Then, after the upgrade is complete, open the app again and click "Update Resources" to get the latest build. The server should start again automatically. If not, press the "Start" button in the Server section.
RyC wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:20 am Just a heads up Mike, the info bar background is still transparent on extenders on the latest release. It also seems the "AutoSkip is on/off" text for DTB Addin was reverted at some point too, but I don't mind that. Thanks again for your hard work!
Not sure why the background still fails to show on extenders. I don't know what is causing it to render differently from the desktop. As for the DTB Addin, there was a slight adjustment made to the generic dialog box in WMC to show message titles since some were not being displayed. Perhaps that is what you are referencing.
rberkenpas wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am I am still having issues with getting WMC to start.
My plugins:
RecordedTV
Total media theater 5
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. As Gary stated above, I suspect that MCE Reset Toolbox is causing the problem. I suggest reading through the linked thread and hopefully you will be able to resolve the issue.
Hello great update and lovely to see more features coming.

Is there any chance to get an option to set the Weather to Celsius instead of Fahrenheit for us metric folk? I have no idea if 64F means if I need a coat or not :lol: :lol:

Thanks

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:40 am

aquadextrous wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:40 pm Is there any chance to get an option to set the Weather to Celsius instead of Fahrenheit for us metric folk? I have no idea if 64F means if I need a coat or not :lol: :lol:
Version 1.1.2 includes a new option to set the preferred unit of measurement for weather data.
-Mike

Space

Post by Space » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:55 pm

W10MC wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:40 am
aquadextrous wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:40 pm Is there any chance to get an option to set the Weather to Celsius instead of Fahrenheit for us metric folk? I have no idea if 64F means if I need a coat or not :lol: :lol:
Version 1.1.2 includes a new option to set the preferred unit of measurement for weather data.
Does it support kelvin? I heard it's supposed to be a nice 294° K today... :-)

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:07 pm

W10MC wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:40 am
Thank you

Kelvin is pushing it. But it’s good that now us people in the civilised world can tell the temperature :shh: :lol:

In previous posts Mike you mentioned that the names of other tiles could be changed to title case using reset toolbox or media center studio. These programmes now crash because they can’t find the details of the new weather and sports tiles. This also means I can’t reinstate the strips and tiles I have on my start screen for addins etc. Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Thanks gary, and I'll try it out. Aquadextrous, I have a custom theme applied but I didn't change the names of anything, and I haven't had any problems there however, on both of my PCs with this theme applied I don't get the Interests strip. Is there a way to fix this? If I had the GUID and assembly info I could just register it on my own, which is preferred because I could then move it around to my liking via registermceapp and media center themer. I do get the weather and sports overalys on live TV so that part works. Thanks.

Overall I think these are great additions and I like that they are implemented in an accessible easy use manner.

aleclindsay

Post by aleclindsay » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am

Missing Intersts strip here as well, although able to see sports, (albeit from N. America) and local weather overlays from live tv.
Weather is a brilliant feature, good implementation, good work!

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:00 am

A few adjustments have been made for compatibility with legacy software like MCE Reset Toolbox in the latest build (180924). Previously, resources referenced in the new Start menu strip prevented MCE Reset Toolbox from launching properly.
aquadextrous wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:07 pm In previous posts Mike you mentioned that the names of other tiles could be changed to title case using reset toolbox or media center studio. These programmes now crash because they can’t find the details of the new weather and sports tiles. This also means I can’t reinstate the strips and tiles I have on my start screen for addins etc. Is there any way around this?
This issue should be corrected in the new build, but I would recommend using Media Center Themer as it modifies resources in memory with a much lower risk of conflicts like you have experienced with the other applications.
jachin99 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:19 pm I have a custom theme applied but I didn't change the names of anything, and I haven't had any problems there however, on both of my PCs with this theme applied I don't get the Interests strip. Is there a way to fix this?
Does the strip show up when you disable your custom theme? You may want to look through the theme file to make sure it is not modifying SM.SPORTS.XML.
aleclindsay wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am Missing Intersts strip here as well, although able to see sports, (albeit from N. America) and local weather overlays from live tv.
Are you using any other software that modifies the WMC resources?
jachin99 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:19 pm Overall I think these are great additions and I like that they are implemented in an accessible easy use manner.
aleclindsay wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am Weather is a brilliant feature, good implementation, good work!
Thanks for your feedback!
-Mike

aleclindsay

Post by aleclindsay » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks for getting back to us. Use MCE reset toolbox, but apart from an atempt to change numbers of rows in guide, have not actively used it since your first build, also my channel logos xl, but only literally to add logos!