ModernMedia UI+ - Modern Theme and All-New Features

RyC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by RyC » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:05 pm

One more minor thing I noticed: on extenders at least, when I hit skip forward or replay/skip back using the remote, the seek bar doesn't pop up like it used to.

Additionally, I have the DTBAddin to auto skip commercials, and the seek bar doesn't pop up when it skips either (which I like to see how far along the show is). I tried "Classic" and "SkipBar" mode and it didn't come up on either. I did see the AutoSkip On/Off message was updated which is nice!

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:45 am

RyC wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:50 am Still no colors/underlines for non "Series" programs in the guide.
A new build is available (180906). Click the "Update Resources" button in the app to apply the updates.

This includes a potential fix for the missing EPG cell backgrounds and the info bar background in Extenders. It also supports channel logos in recorded TV program information. For the images to be displayed, you will need to create this path if it does not already exist (assuming C:\ is your system drive):

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX

Then enter the following in Command Prompt as Administrator, where [source] is the full path to your logo directory:

Code: Select all

mklink /J "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\Logos" "[source]"
This creates a symbolic link that enables WMC to load the images from their actual location. As long as the filename of each logo matches the channel callsign of the recorded program you are viewing and it is a .png image, it should show up in the program information just like any other program in the guide.
RyC wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:05 pm One more minor thing I noticed: on extenders at least, when I hit skip forward or replay/skip back using the remote, the seek bar doesn't pop up like it used to.
This might be added as a setting in the next release, allowing you to restore the default behavior.
-Mike

Windows 10 Media Center Community
An independent project for media application development.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:54 am

Thanks so much for the quick turnaround! The guide is now properly colored in on extenders and looks great! The logos folder for recorded TV program info works great as well.

However, the info bar is still transparent on extenders on live and recorded TV. I think if the info bar is fixed and seek bar behavior can be restored to default, that covers everything I've found so far. Thanks again for your hard work :)

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 pm

Thank you for creating something new for WMC.

I have a few bits of feedback though:

Watermark - I'd love to spend some time to get to see if the software passes the family acceptance factor before spending £15 - however due to there being a watermark displayed on all video screens before paying, that's not going to happen. The website makes it sound like some features are free then you unlock extra features with donating. However as the watermark makes any viewing of videos or TV impossible without seeing it then you should probably mention this somewhere. Perhaps a watermark free trial before it appears?

I really love the reworked TV zap bars and programme information screens. It's a great use of the full screen to show as much information as possible. Gathering data from different sources to give reviews, extra information and having channel logos show on these screens is great.

I am not the keen on the guide. It's a great idea, but everything takes up so much space and really gives less information for some things. Original WMC was always a bit big with its scaling - but since it was an active product the average size of monitors, laptop panels and TV's has increased massively.
Above the programme name is a large space - this is used to display NEW or LIVE tags etc - but not all programmes have these, the channel cell height could be made much smaller and this information placed before the programme title - this would reduce the height of each cell and allow for more rows. Under the guide, the programme detail is quite lacking. On stock WMC you get the programme name, title, description, times, and recording or series information. On this guide there's just the description. There's plenty of space horizontally under the guide if not vertically, could this area be split to show [Programme image] [programme details times channel title etc] [Programme description]
The scrolling of titles in the cells is much too fast and repeats too quickly. It should scroll a bit slower and then pause on the static programme name for a few seconds longer before scrolling again. On programmes not currently on the information only scrolls if the text doesn't fit the box. on currently playing programmes if the programme started before the current time on the guide then it scrolls regardless of length of title.

The theme overall is very basic. Rather than a modern theme i feel like i've accidentally turned on the high contrast mode. I love a black theme, and I currently use a MCT theme called Modern8 with many tweaked images and backgrounds of my own. While this theme feels modern it still has colours and I have altered some of it's images and features to make it feel more alive. Things like the light effect that runs around items that are selected - the odd animation on the background and shimmer here and there that makes the menus and graphics feel alive. It's hard to describe - it doesn't need to be overboard and tacky - but just a bit of glitter here and there. Also there are a lot of new images in your theme, i've looked in the data folders and can find some of them but not all. Media Center themer causes WMC to crash with ModernMediaUI+ and MCT enabled at the same time. I'd like to bring some of my icons and files into UI+ but the equivalent images dont seem to appear in the data folder. Also all windows logos seem to be updated to the Windows 8 style, apart from the startup logo which is still the round green WMC logo.

I feel like i'm writing such a negative post, I appreciate that you've put a lot of hard work into this and i really hope its successful and makes you some money back for your effort! But it seems all the posts so far have been about bug fixes rather than feedback on usage, so i thought i'd chip in.

I think i will stick with stock WMC tweaked with MCT and epg123 for now, but i will keep my eye on ModernMediaUI+ with great interest because i see a lot of promise in what you're doing to keep a dying platform alive. I can definitely see this becoming something i'd happily part with my money for...

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 pm

I must say I agree with much of aqua’s post. I also thought the watermark thing was a bit sneaky. Why not just be upfront and mention this on the site? This feels a bit like a ransom to restore core functionality, rather than a genuine freemium model. In which case, a 30-day full feature trial, followed by a purchase price would be more appropriate.

It is great to see something new for Media Center and I was going to contribute just to encourage/reward the development. However $15 is a little steep at this stage when you consider what is already possible with EPG123, MCT and RTVHD. There are some genuinely interesting and innovative features in UI+, just not enough yet to make me want to give my system over to it. Maybe the next release will convince me.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

MILGEO

Post by MILGEO » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:57 pm

I guess I also have misunderstood what this project was about. I didn't realize that their is a version of WMC which works with Windows 10 (if it exists). At least not one which was stable and hadn't been put together with temporary tweaks that get broken by Windows updates. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I was expecting a new version of WMC or something similar which would be compatible with Windows 10. I had hoped that after it's completion that it would be safe to upgrade a Windows 7 PC with WMC to Windows 10 and have it continue to run with existing content and settings with maybe just a need for EPG-123 if it's not already on the machine. I've spent a couple of hours trying to clarify what exactly this project will do including checking through the "download WMC for Windows 10" link, and have not found the download button or discussion of a stable version of it on MDL. Am I missing something or is there something still to come which would be close to what I'm describing?

I think I posted this to the wrong page previously, along with this,

jjwatmyself, Thanks for the response. So am I correct in assuming that this project is not ever going to be a newer version of WMC that will work on Windows 10? If so I have already considered either Plex DVR or HD Homerun DVR. I don't know if either one will allow me to record DRM content which I currently can do with WMC and Cablevision. I know that some cable companies did not ever allow this for premium channels. I not only have a large amount of content on my HTPC but also use 2 Ceton Echo extenders for other TV's in the house. From what I've seen on You Tube and other research, neither Homerun or Plex will be able to use them. Also their is the learning curve for the wife which it took quite a bit to ween from the cable DVR's. I have 3 Logitech Harmony's which 2 were really bought to make it easy for her to go from TV to TV and work the same way. If I can configure one of the other options to play the content which is in WMC (.wtv), it won't be as bad. I don't think an upgrade would remove the files on my hard drives, but might make them unusable. I don't think it's wise to be running Windows 7 on the network after support ends. I'm thinking of trying a short term licence for Plex DVR and seeing how it works. I recently added a separate hard drive to my HTPC just for this reason. If you are correct about the end of WMC, I'm really disappointed that someone can't figure out a way to code a similar program to work on Windows 10. Do you know what people are referring to when they talk about WMC running on their Windows 10 machines?

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:05 pm

jachin99 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 pm For adding start menu strips, as mentioned above I could never add more than one with MCT
I got more start menu strips by copying the registry entries created by MCT, changing the ID number to something unique, and then importing them into the registry alongside the original ones.

You have to use the registry to edit these additional ones, though.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Watching with very high interest. Looks like a nice feature set but, I needed to HEX my Dlls to get WMC to run the way I want and not willing to break that YET (for the wondering, Disable the 4K res to high message, and disable VOLUME pop up, When I would stop a video it would always pop up, no reg help). Also, The black theme looks pretty cool but, after using WMC for 8-10 years now(I started using WMC back in XP days), I need to change it up time to time or I will go NUTS !

My Menus are completely customized. Even added strips to make sure things FIT where they should (Streaming and Gaming strip WAS NEEDED). Don't want to lose all this work right now.

It's funny but, a bunch of features that were added here was personally requested to Microsoft during the closed beta test of Windows 7 Media Center. Including the dual buffer thing (to keep a dual buffer between 2 channels so watching football games you can hop channels with out losing anything).

If your playing with the buffer, is it possible to capture the buffer ? What I mean is, SAY, your watching a show for 20 min (hour show), and you hit record, Media Center will record from that point, IS it possible to record the who show from the start ? This was a REQUEST put in the 7 test and got 100's of up votes.

Like I said, watching... for the record, I was a beta tester for Vista WMC and Windows 7 WMC.... was a bug bash winner 3 times (nice letters signed from the whole Media Center/eHome team), back in the day I had direct contacts on the eHome team, and ran my own business for about 2 years building WMC machines for clients...Never mind the MVP for WMC...

I know WMC is officially dead as Microsoft goes, I like what this could bring and see some passion come back. Thanks for this and I'll be testing in a VM like IT Troll has done...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 am

tonywagner wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:05 pm
jachin99 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 pm For adding start menu strips, as mentioned above I could never add more than one with MCT
I got more start menu strips by copying the registry entries created by MCT, changing the ID number to something unique, and then importing them into the registry alongside the original ones.

You have to use the registry to edit these additional ones, though.
You can actually bypass registermceapp.exe and put in registry entries directly to get the same effect. It sounds like this is what you are talking about, and if so it sounds like it doesn't rely on MCT to add strips.

I actually added my tuners directly via the registery on a WHS 2011 box this way in order to get around ocur discovery problems. Tuner discovery would not run before i did this but afterwards, WMC let me run live TV setup, and all of the information was prepopulated.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:50 am

An important fix for international users is available in the latest build (180909). This corrects an issue that could cause WMC to crash at startup when running on systems set to use specific languages, including French, German, Dutch and others.

To update, click the "Update Resources" button in the app.
RyC wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:54 am The guide is now properly colored in on extenders and looks great! The logos folder for recorded TV program info works great as well.
Glad it's working!
RyC wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:54 am However, the info bar is still transparent on extenders on live and recorded TV.
It could be a positioning issue as a result of anchoring the bar to the bottom of the screen. Obviously it is not rendering as it should on Extenders and will require further testing.
aquadextrous wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 pm Thank you for creating something new for WMC.
Thanks for your feedback! I will address some of the changes. The addition of scrolling text means the title no longer needs to be displayed in the program information at the bottom as it can be seen in its entirety within the cell. This allows space for an additional row of channels in the guide as well as up to three rows of text inside each cell, including the new/live/premiere/finale flags. The program information section contains everything the stock WMC provides, with the exception of the program title (which is no longer needed there), the episode information or movie year (which is also no longer needed since it is displayed in the cell) and the recording status (which can be viewed in the full program synopsis). In addition, all-new metadata icons have been added to provide even more information about the program. The scrolling parameters are based on existing animations found elsewhere in WMC, specifically the list of EPG sources on the Edit Listings page. The logic to determine when titles should scroll in the guide could be improved and will be reevaluated at some point.

The theme is designed to be modern but basic, allowing for visual elements like logos and artwork to stand out in the foreground and not have the background and interface take over the content. For those who want to customize it, utilities like Media Center Themer can definitely be used. If you are experiencing crashes with MCT, I would recommend starting with just a few elements from your existing theme and adding more while testing to see if it continues to work. Due to the amount of modifications made with UI+, you have to be careful when further modifying the interface.
DavidinCT wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 pm I needed to HEX my Dlls to get WMC to run the way I want and not willing to break that YET
The files should not be broken when the theme is enabled. Only the resources embedded inside them are replaced, not the entire file. That means any hex edits should remain in place.
DavidinCT wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 pm My Menus are completely customized.
As above, the Start menu resources should not be affected unless you have modified them directly in the file. The custom menus should remain but will be styled using the modern theme.

In any case, all affected files are backed up during the first run, and the theme can be reverted with a single click. So you can try it out without permanently changing anything. Of course, you should always create a system image before installing any new software on a critical machine.
DavidinCT wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:03 pm is it possible to capture the buffer ?
It might be possible, but that functionality is not included in the current release. It would be a nice feature to have.
-Mike

theforestman

Post by theforestman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update.
I can confirm that it now works with a dutch language.
will need tot test more to try all the new features.

Regards,

Jeroen

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 am

theforestman wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 am I can confirm that it now works with a dutch language.
Thank you for confirming that it works, Jeroen. Hope you enjoy the new features!
-Mike

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm

W10MC wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:50 am
aquadextrous wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 pm Thank you for creating something new for WMC.
Thanks for your feedback! I will address some of the changes. The addition of scrolling text means the title no longer needs to be displayed in the program information at the bottom as it can be seen in its entirety within the cell. This allows space for an additional row of channels in the guide as well as up to three rows of text inside each cell, including the new/live/premiere/finale flags. The program information section contains everything the stock WMC provides, with the exception of the program title (which is no longer needed there), the episode information or movie year (which is also no longer needed since it is displayed in the cell) and the recording status (which can be viewed in the full program synopsis). In addition, all-new metadata icons have been added to provide even more information about the program. The scrolling parameters are based on existing animations found elsewhere in WMC, specifically the list of EPG sources on the Edit Listings page. The logic to determine when titles should scroll in the guide could be improved and will be reevaluated at some point.

The theme is designed to be modern but basic, allowing for visual elements like logos and artwork to stand out in the foreground and not have the background and interface take over the content. For those who want to customize it, utilities like Media Center Themer can definitely be used. If you are experiencing crashes with MCT, I would recommend starting with just a few elements from your existing theme and adding more while testing to see if it continues to work. Due to the amount of modifications made with UI+, you have to be careful when further modifying the interface.

Thank you for the reply.

I ended up purchasing the license as I really liked the new information overlays that MMUI+ provided and felt they were worth it alone! On the first 2 versions though I was able to bypass the MMUI+ Tv guide by using epg123 tweaks to edit the information and then this would give me the old style guide and keep all the other MMUI+ enhancements. This no longer seems to work and the MMUI+ Guide persists no matter what is set in epg123 tweaks. I'm not sure if this changed in the latest build or its something that stopped working due to me having to reinstall my Win7 machine from scratch.

Other glitches i've noticed:

(Viewed on 4k 3820 resolution with DPI in windows 7 set to 100% - changing DPI doesn't seem to affect anything)

Recorded TV screen -
If a currently recording programme is highlighted in the large icon view there's text on the bottom of the screen saying 'currently being recorded' or similar. This text is cut off with only the top part showing.
The text description of the programme is cut off on the right side edge - sometimes a word or part of a word is missing. This happens on the first line as well as the second line where it's normal if the text doesnt fit

Tuner Conflict Management:
All the programme names are white text within a white background so not visible
The recording or warning icon and text below the description does not fit within the space leaving parts cut off

Start Menu:
All of the sub categories within each strip are capitalised at the beginning - WMC default is for these words to be entirely lower case with just the strip names having Caps. The default WMC style is much cleaner looking (Plus most addins tiles default to all lower case because it's the default style. With MMUI+ i have the built in tiles showing upper and lower case and add-in tiles all lower case - it just looks a bit messy.)

And a request for the guide - Could a HD tag be added to the row where NEW LIVE etc is above the programme name in the EPG cell. (ideally in grey or white!) Having an HD symbol is a handy way of seeing if a proramme will be in HD without having to highlight it to see the HD tag underneath the guide.

Finally with Media Center Themer - it appeared to be the Shell folder files causing issues - everytime i started live tv it crashed. By deleting the files in the shell folder of the theme it stopped crashing. I was then able to delete the image files i didnt want and keep the ones i do want to tweak the appearance of WMC. Thanks for the advice on checking stuff. If anyone else is having issues try this first and then it's an easy fix :)

Thanks again

Anthony

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Are the activation codes only good for one machine, or can I reuse them? I'm having trouble activating the theme on W10 build 1511.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:20 pm

A new build is available (180913). Guide improvements include slight adjustments to the title scrolling speed along with the addition of HD, UHD and 3D indicators inside program cells. In the Recorded TV section, program descriptions have been adjusted to prevent text from being cut off when running at 4K resolution. In the Start menu, a few additional labels have been converted to title case for consistency. Also, anchor positioning for the info bar has been modified in an attempt to resolve display issues in some configurations, i.e. Extenders.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm the MMUI+ Guide persists no matter what is set in epg123 tweaks. I'm not sure if this changed in the latest build or its something that stopped working due to me having to reinstall my Win7 machine from scratch.
After enabling the theme, you should be able to use EPG123 to overwrite the guide resources with custom settings. However, when you update to a new build, the changes made in EPG123 will be lost. Nothing has been done to change this behavior from earlier builds.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm Recorded TV screen -
If a currently recording programme is highlighted in the large icon view there's text on the bottom of the screen saying 'currently being recorded' or similar. This text is cut off with only the top part showing.
The recording status text is misaligned due to font differences between Segoe Media Center and Segoe UI, which is what the theme uses. If you update the Segoe UI font in Windows 7, the problem should be resolved. This is not an issue for Windows 8 and later.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm The text description of the programme is cut off on the right side edge - sometimes a word or part of a word is missing. This happens on the first line as well as the second line where it's normal if the text doesnt fit
This is a result of running WMC in 4K. However, as noted above, the latest build corrects the problem of rendering text in 4K beyond a certain width by reducing the width of the program description. It will now properly wrap to the next line instead of getting cut off abruptly.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm Tuner Conflict Management:
The recording or warning icon and text below the description does not fit within the space leaving parts cut off
I am unable to reproduce this. It would be helpful if you could provide a screenshot.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm Start Menu:
i have the built in tiles showing upper and lower case and add-in tiles all lower case - it just looks a bit messy.
All of the labels have been converted to title case for consistency with current Microsoft design standards. After all, this is a modern theme. If there are any built-in labels still in lowercase, please let me know which ones. If they are from third-party apps, you can use MCT to adjust the strings accordingly.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm Could a HD tag be added to the row where NEW LIVE etc is above the programme name in the EPG cell. (ideally in grey or white!)
This has been added in the latest build.
jachin99 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:28 pm Are the activation codes only good for one machine, or can I reuse them?
To prevent abuse, the activation code is valid for one machine. From the activation email:
Please note that this code is valid for use on a single device.
-Mike

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 pm

W10MC wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:20 pm A new build is available (180913). Guide improvements include slight adjustments to the title scrolling speed along with the addition of HD, UHD and 3D indicators inside program cells. In the Recorded TV section, program descriptions have been adjusted to prevent text from being cut off when running at 4K resolution. In the Start menu, a few additional labels have been converted to title case for consistency. Also, anchor positioning for the info bar has been modified in an attempt to resolve display issues in some configurations, i.e. Extenders.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm the MMUI+ Guide persists no matter what is set in epg123 tweaks. I'm not sure if this changed in the latest build or its something that stopped working due to me having to reinstall my Win7 machine from scratch.
After enabling the theme, you should be able to use EPG123 to overwrite the guide resources with custom settings. However, when you update to a new build, the changes made in EPG123 will be lost. Nothing has been done to change this behavior from earlier builds.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm Recorded TV screen -
The recording status text is misaligned due to font differences between Segoe Media Center and Segoe UI, which is what the theme uses. If you update the Segoe UI font in Windows 7, the problem should be resolved. This is not an issue for Windows 8 and later.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm The text description of the programme is cut off on the right side edge - sometimes a word or part of a word is missing. This happens on the first line as well as the second line where it's normal if the text doesnt fit
This is a result of running WMC in 4K. However, as noted above, the latest build corrects the problem of rendering text in 4K beyond a certain width by reducing the width of the program description. It will now properly wrap to the next line instead of getting cut off abruptly.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm Tuner Conflict Management:
I am unable to reproduce this. It would be helpful if you could provide a screenshot.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm Start Menu:
i have the built in tiles showing upper and lower case and add-in tiles all lower case - it just looks a bit messy.
All of the labels have been converted to title case for consistency with current Microsoft design standards. After all, this is a modern theme. If there are any built-in labels still in lowercase, please let me know which ones. If they are from third-party apps, you can use MCT to adjust the strings accordingly.
aquadextrous wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm Could a HD tag be added to the row where NEW LIVE etc is above the programme name in the EPG cell. (ideally in grey or white!)
This has been added in the latest build.
Thank you for tweaking the Recorded TV information, the text now displays fully and wraps just as expected at any resolution. Your tip on the segoe font worked too. I had forgotten to update it back to the W8 version after reinstalling Windows 7. All text here is now fully visible.

I have included screenshots of the conflict page below. One has MCT enabled (with tweaked recording symbols that avoid a cut off) and the 2nd is the default MMUI+ page. As you can see the white background is present on both so i dont believe that it is an MCT thing.

Also on the first pic a red recording indicator is shown on the programmes that will record and a warning on the one that wont. On MMUI the recordings show a warning and the one that wont has no symbol (ignore that ive set a different programme not to record - i was just playing around to see if it made a difference) I think the first way around is more logical and user friendly.

When watching Live TV if the mouse is moved and the on screen buttons appear the Teletext coloured symbols are on top of the playing symbol in the bottom left corner as can be seen here. Is it possible to move these coloured buttons (or get rid completely - i'm not sure if Teletext is even a thing any more?!)

Thanks again for the great work you're doing :)

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 pm

W10MC wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:20 pm

To prevent abuse, the activation code is valid for one machine From the activation email:

I dual boot with Windows 7 / 8.1 (as I have different config for testing). As it's for ONE machine, can I use it on both partitions ?
Last edited by DavidinCT on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:41 pm

To prevent abuse, the activation code is valid for one machine From the activation email:

I dual boot with Windows 7 / 8.1 (as I have different config for testing). As it's for ONE machine, can I use it on both partitions ?
I also dual boot these OS and can only activate the code on one. I had to get the code reset after reinstalling Windows 7, so I guess it’s more one activation allowed rather than one machine. I think rather than registering against the machines ID it just allows one activation and no more.

Not really a big deal, I received a very fast email response resetting my activation when I needed. And I only installed W8.1 to see if WMC looked any better. I saw on here someone say it looked better, I can’t say I notice any difference running both at 4K on a 65” oled screen.

I’ll just stick with W7 as the primary OS as everything is set up and just works :thumbup: After spending a couple years battling to keep WMC running on W10 paying £3 for a W7 Pro key on eBay was the best purchase I’ve made in a long time, much less stress! 😂🙈

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 am

aquadextrous wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I also dual boot these OS and can only activate the code on one. I had to get the code reset after reinstalling Windows 7, so I guess it’s more one activation allowed rather than one machine. I think rather than registering against the machines ID it just allows one activation and no more.

Not really a big deal, I received a very fast email response resetting my activation when I needed. And I only installed W8.1 to see if WMC looked any better. I saw on here someone say it looked better, I can’t say I notice any difference running both at 4K on a 65” oled screen.

I’ll just stick with W7 as the primary OS as everything is set up and just works :thumbup: After spending a couple years battling to keep WMC running on W10 paying £3 for a W7 Pro key on eBay was the best purchase I’ve made in a long time, much less stress! 😂🙈
I'm someone who has said that WMC looks better on 8 or 10 but let me add a little bit of context to this. I have two TVs, one in my den/living room area running 7MC, which is hooked up to an LCD screen and looks about as good as any other source on the TV, which isn't bad. My second TV is a DLP, and this is where I tend to notice a difference. It seems like if that TV isn't fed a good picture, you can really tell. I can see a difference between my XBox One and WMC10 expecially on some of the lower quaility channels, and in my opinion, the PQ is much better on the computer. This also varies between channels where the crapier the picture the more noticeable the difference. On OLEDs, and LCDs I bet there won't be Too much difference as I believe those sets upconvert the picture anyway?? My guess is that upgrades to the Media Foundation give it a better picture but like I said, its a subjective thing.
Last edited by jachin99 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:35 am

Some minor fixes for the recording conflict graphics are in the latest build (180915). The interactive TV toolbar has also been relocated to the bottom right corner of the screen to prevent overlap with the playback indicator.
aquadextrous wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 pm Thanks again for the great work you're doing :)
Hopefully this update resolves all of the issues you have found so far.
DavidinCT wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 pm I dual boot with Windows 7 / 8.1 (as I have different config for testing). As it's for ONE machine, can I use it on both partitions ?
After you activate your primary installation, you will need to request a reset of the activation code before you can activate your test partition on the same machine.
-Mike