A New Project for Modern WMC Development

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
aquadextrous

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by aquadextrous » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 pm

W10MC wrote:
newfiend wrote:Anyone heard any more news on this? Not that I'm impatiently waiting or anything.. haha..
Pre-release testing is now underway. It will be ready soon!

https://windows10mediacenter.com/modernmedia/ui+

Any more news?

Need another tester? :)

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:27 pm

It’s beginning to look a lot like vapourware.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 pm

No, it is pretty much still active. I should be getting a copy of it this weekend to see how EPG123 works with it and how additional guide data EPG123 provides is used/displayed. I've been holding off on the next release, which includes creating a support file for the UI+ program, until I've been able to run it through some tests.

I'm thinking the initial release if fairly imminent.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:16 am

garyan2 wrote:No, it is pretty much still active. I should be getting a copy of it this weekend to see how EPG123 works with it and how additional guide data EPG123 provides is used/displayed. I've been holding off on the next release, which includes creating a support file for the UI+ program, until I've been able to run it through some tests.

I'm thinking the initial release if fairly imminent.
So it sounds like you have been lucky enough to be one of the testers.. will it's additions be worth the wait? I understand not pushing out buggy software but it seems to get pushed back every month. I'm not complaining.. just curious on it's feature set. I am sure a lot of people would like some fresh additions to WMC .. to say the UI is stale at this point is an understatement. :lol:

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:26 am

No, not one of the testers. I will possibly testing it out this weekend though. I haven't seen it in action yet, but I believe it will be worth the wait.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 am

It is good to hear it is not dead, but the apparent lack of testing is rather worrying. With all the different system configurations, regional variations and third party customisations it can be very difficult to consider and test all the scenarios.

The absence of any recent comms and general lack of engagement with the community is also a concern for such a high impact mod. Development has been very closed, which is odd for a non-commercial release.

Can we at least see a video of it in action?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:30 am

IT Troll wrote:It is good to hear it is not dead, but the apparent lack of testing is rather worrying. With all the different system configurations, regional variations and third party customisations it can be very difficult to consider and test all the scenarios.

The absence of any recent comms and general lack of engagement with the community is also a concern for such a high impact mod. Development has been very closed, which is odd for a non-commercial release.

Can we at least see a video of it in action?
I can't say I disagree, and can't speak to the level of rigor testing is being done, but I do know EPG123's contribution has been tested some... I gave a quick beta version for them to test with. I just haven't seen or tested it myself to look for improvements, gotchas, or care-abouts.
- Gary

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:35 pm

That makes me happy :thumbup: I kind of get why they might want to stay off of the forums but at the same time it helps to show progress in order keep everyone interested.

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:42 pm

I’m sure we’ve all got our fingers crossed it’s going to be worth the wait. But like has been said, seems to be a lot of talk with little action. The only screenshot is a small slice of the epg. If it was close to release surely there’d be more given the amount of stuff it’s said to do?

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Were you able to test it this weekend? How did it go/look?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:32 pm

RyC wrote:Were you able to test it this weekend? How did it go/look?
Unfortunately, no. I didn't receive anything to test with. Maybe the developer can chime in on a proposed timeline for release.

I did go ahead and release a new version of EPG123 that creates a support file for the UI+ project. The UI+ developer has been using files generated by an engineering build of epg123 for their internal testing.
- Gary

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 am

When you consider the platform they are developing for, and the fee they are charging, late releases are a small inconvenience in my opinion. Just think about how many PAID projects are released late, or have things go wrong, etc. If they spent all of their time around the forums, they would have less time to spend developing their applications, and I don't see a big support burden for their first app. I'm willing to give them a break, and I bet the integration with EPG123, and possibly other services is going to be a big deal. I'm still rooting for them, and I still think they have something very useful for all of us. Thats just my opinion but sometimes a little encouragement can go a long way.

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:36 am

Anything that can be done to make WMC look more "modern" and keep it running after WIn7 EOL has my support!

My family loves WMC because of it's ease of use. We have a Tivo with lifetime updates and the family still prefers WMC. Our Tivo is just sitting in a closet.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new UI+ looks.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:09 am

Still waiting for something. Any open betas so you can get public feedback before your official release ? Would love to try it...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 pm

IT Troll wrote:It’s beginning to look a lot like vapourware.
I'm also starting to feel this way. Wasn't this said to be in testing for a release in MAY ? We are a long time from then.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

redstar92

Post by redstar92 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 pm

It's kind of sad. Was hoping for something. It's almost incredible that wmc is still so much better than plex and hdhomerun in terms of ui and speed ☹️

denz

Post by denz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:34 am

I was also hoping something will come of this. I have tried plex, emby, hdhomerun none of them are even close how great wmc product is. Luckily it is still working great in 1709 hopefully it can stay like that.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:59 am

They still check these forums. IDK why they would if they don't have interest in WMC so I'll go out on a limb and say that something is still happening. I can't make promises for them either though

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 am

They logged in yesterday but haven't posted in 3 months. Project website says it was released 16th August and is in pre-release testing. :eh:

Size is 1357 KB, so something exists.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:54 pm

IT Troll wrote:They logged in yesterday but haven't posted in 3 months. Project website says it was released 16th August and is in pre-release testing. :eh:

Size is 1357 KB, so something exists.

Just wish we could hear a update from W10MC, like if a major issue was found, or if it was a deal breaker issue. Or just no time to work on it.

I have not heard from anyone who has a copy for testing, or anything like that. A file size could be anything but, personally after all this time, it's really starting to feel like vaporware.

At least a little update of progress from the OP would keep us going on this...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave