Run Windows 8 Software in Windows 7

paellakrieger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Run Windows 8 Software in Windows 7

Post by paellakrieger » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello dear Community,

I run a WMC7 in my living room and I have a Phillips Hue bridge connected to a Hue lamp. A few days ago I have seen that there is a software from Phillips to control via pc the hue lamps. This software is call Hue ambilight. So far so good. As I try to install this software on my Windows 7 Media Center I get an error that this software needs Windows 8. So my question is, is there any method or trick or whatever that I can do to make this software run on my WMC7? That is a really cool program to control my Hue lamp and stripes in the color that is displayed on the screen. My hardware is quite old, I have tested to install W8.1 on my pc, but i have serious issues with the wake up by remote control. So please let me know if there is any solution. Maybe make that the program think is a W8 machine?

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:11 pm

paellakrieger wrote:Hello dear Community,

I run a WMC7 in my living room and I have a Phillips Hue bridge connected to a Hue lamp. A few days ago I have seen that there is a software from Phillips to control via PC the hue lamps. This software is call Hue ambilight. So far so good. As I try to install this software on my Windows 7 Media Center I get an error that this software needs Windows 8. So my question is, is there any method or trick or whatever that I can do to make this software run on my WMC7? That is a really cool program to control my Hue lamp and stripes in the color that is displayed on the screen. My hardware is quite old, I have tested to install W8.1 on my PC, but i have serious issues with the wake up by remote control. So please let me know if there is any solution. Maybe make that the program think is a W8 machine?
Usually if you right click on the .exe file and change the compatibility option to Windows 7, that may work.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:53 pm

You could always find a 8.1 WMC license and upgrade. You should be able to find some on ebay and other places.. IF you cant find an option for 7..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012