Thumbnail issue on WMC Windows 10 April Update : workaround

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
lachape_one

HTPC Specs: Show details

Thumbnail issue on WMC Windows 10 April Update : workaround

Post by lachape_one » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi

If you're using WMC on Windows 10 April Update with the patched MsVidCtl.dll, you have encountered the thumbnail issue on your recorded TV programs
Thanks to PinPoint (again :)), here is the workaround:

Step 1: Download the EncDec.dll (Under C:\Windows\System32) from a W10 FCU version one or either with Windows 7 its ok. You can also download it from the link above if you do not have such version anymore. You have to place the file in this C:\Windows\System32 directory
Step 2: Register the dll on a command prompt with administrator's privilege and type:

Code: Select all

regsvr32.exe "%SystemRoot%\System32\EncDec.dll"
Step 3: Reboot
Now you can have thumbnails on programs recorded with April Update (and enjoy again a nicer "Recorded TV" menu).

More info (in french): https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/2018/ ... ia-center/

Feel free to share if it works for you

jazz_dude

Post by jazz_dude » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Didn't have much luck with the cmd method #1 - kept getting error messages 'file does not exist' etc. I left EncDec.dll in System32 and tried the manual regedit method #2 from the French site (using Google translate). Although I had some difficulty changing permissions to rewrite the key, I blundered through somehow and now I have thumbs in WMC. (BTW - I used the dll downloaded from the French site)

Many thanks to all concerned.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 am

I found that the regsvr32 trick didn't work and couldn't get the reg key to change.

Then I twigged that I'd set the owner to Administrator and not Administrators.

I mean it is written there in black and white in TWO languages but I still managed to do it wrong.

Small difference but a big change.

PrplHaz4

Post by PrplHaz4 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:05 am

lachape_one wrote:Hi

If you're using WMC on Windows 10 April Update with the patched MsVidCtl.dll, you have encountered the thumbnail issue on your recorded TV programs
Thanks to PinPoint (again :)), here is the workaround:

Step 1: Download the EncDec.dll (Under C:\Windows\System32) from a W10 FCU version one or either with Windows 7 its ok. You can also download it from the link above if you do not have such version anymore. You have to place the file in this C:\Windows\System32 directory
Step 2: Register the dll on a command prompt with administrator's privilege and type:

Code: Select all

regsvr32.exe "%SystemRoot%\System32\EncDec.dll"
Step 3: Reboot
Now you can have thumbnails on programs recorded with April Update (and enjoy again a nicer "Recorded TV" menu).

More info (in french): https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/2018/ ... ia-center/

Feel free to share if it works for you
Thanks for posting this over here - the MDL thread is a nightmare to try and follow.

Just upgraded to 1803, performed the playback fix by replacing MsVidCtl.dll w/the 1709 version and then followed these instructions to replace EncDec.dll with the 1709 version as well. Rebooted and thumbnails are back, wife is happy.

To anyone having trouble with the command, I've been running everything as "Admin" using the "_TestRights.bat" cmd prompt in the v8.8.1 package and it has been working great for these sorts of things. Ran the regsvr command and was up and running with thumbnails in one shot.

:thumbup: