InfiniTV not found, random but getting worse

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Gravydog

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV not found, random but getting worse

Post by Gravydog » Fri May 11, 2018 2:37 am

I am running a Infinitv 4 PCIe that has been working fine for several months. Lately I have started to miss recordings because no tuners are found. I have a task set to reboot my system every night because it seems to help ShowAnalyzer work more reliably. When I miss a recording I open the Ceton Diagnostics program and it says the card is not found but when I restart my Windows 7 64 bit again everything is back to normal without doing anything else. Once it is going, everything reports as normal including temp. Any collective wisdom out there? Card just dying?

Rob

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri May 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Yep, that's a common issue with the InfiniTV, the card just randomly disappears from the system and the only solution is to reboot.

You could try a firmware update or a driver update if available, but your best course of action is to remove the card from your system and throw it out the window.

Get an HDHomeRun Prime and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation. You could probably get a used one for cheap on here or eBay.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri May 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Scallica wrote:You could probably get a used one for cheap on here or eBay.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 21&t=11688
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

SciFiGeek

Post by SciFiGeek » Fri May 25, 2018 2:14 am

My experience with my Infinitv 6 PCIE is that it is both sensitive to temperature and signal strength. The signal can be good enough for a cable box but a couple decibels too low for the Ceton.

When I had a splitter for my cable modem things were flaky. I added pushing everything through my UPS cable surge suppressor (because it is my equipment and I am going to protect it), modem got a little slower but TV quit altogether. I got a passive 20 decibel amplifier, put it on before the surge suppressor and everything works great. Cable guy came out recently because of Tuning adapter (still the bane of my WMC setup) and said my signal was high, really high. I'll say this, it works. Although recently it has started being weird on some boots and only seeing tuner 5. I think that has more to do with the TA hijinks than anything else because of the correlation of the TA being new and it starting shortly after like a week.

Get a can of air, blow the dust out of everything. Check that all your fans are still working. I've had a passive heat sink on a video card radiate too much heat and cause it to go flaky, temperature diags report ok. Assume it is temperature until you have run the case open and a 20 inch box fan pointed at it. -Note to self, only tuner 5 working sometime... blow dust out of system, check fans :D.

Gravydog

Post by Gravydog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:26 am

I know this is an old thread but I might as well continue it since I'm the one who started it. I have come to realize lately the the tuner failures are tied to when I start my VPN which is PureVPN. I have been experimenting today and after booting when I start the Ceton Windows app, it finds the card, the tuners work, all is good. If I then start the VPN right away then the card is not found. If I delay starting the VPN a bit then the card is found but in looking at the tuners only #3 has signal and carrier lock and after starting MC and trying to tune a live channel I get "service unavailable".

I mainly turn on the VPN for torenting but when I do it actually kills any current recordings and prevents any others until I reboot which I do automatically as a task every night. I have done some searching for this issue without luck, I can't be the only one it happens to? I'm afraid I use this pc for regular online stuff because I seem to be in the recliner a lot.

Does anyone recognize any of this and have any good ideas?

Rob

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:02 am

The InfiniTV PCI is a network device. That's how it talks to your PC, and in fact its tuners are available as network tuners to other machines if you so desire.

Can you exclude that device from your VPN setup?

Gravydog

Post by Gravydog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:24 am

When I asked them about it they gave me instructions for setting up a manual VPN to a particular group of servers instead of using their Windows app. The setup seemed to work but Network and Sharing showed me as having multiple paths to the internet and when I tried and online test for DNS leaks the results showed almost every DNS request was being handled by my actual ISP, so not good. I will get back to them but I may just have to do my torrenting on another pc and have it save to one of the shared drives on my Media Center pc.

Rob

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Gravydog wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:24 am When I asked them about it they gave me instructions for setting up a manual VPN to a particular group of servers instead of using their Windows app. The setup seemed to work but Network and Sharing showed me as having multiple paths to the internet and when I tried and online test for DNS leaks the results showed almost every DNS request was being handled by my actual ISP, so not good. I will get back to them but I may just have to do my torrenting on another PC and have it save to one of the shared drives on my Media Center PC.

Rob
Hi Rob,

I've been using PIA VPN for going on seven years. Even though my tuners are connected directly to my HTPC, I still have other network devices (printers, etc) that I need to connect to their local IP address. PIA's Windows version includes a networking option to "Allow LAN Traffic" and in my case it works seamlessly.

I frequently perform torrent address tests as well as DNS leak tests and have never had a failure for either. My throughput speeds are barely diminished on their service and on some days (I don't know why) the download speeds according to Speedtest and Fast.com actually exceed my raw connection.

You might be able to contact one of their moderators and see if they'll give you a free week of service to test it out. They've been know to do that on occasion.

As usual, just my two cents and YMMV.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:03 pm

The only VPN software I use is to connect to the VPN at work, and they have an option that allows access to the local LAN while connected to the VPN. This is meant for accessing local network printers but it allows access to any device on the local subnet while connected to the VPN. I have no idea if PureVPN has this option.