So much for disabling the Windows update service

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
SpencerC

HTPC Specs: Show details

So much for disabling the Windows update service

Post by SpencerC » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:06 am

My PC updated even though I had the windows update service set to disabled. I was able to revert back and WMC is still installed. But I get the dreaded "no tuners found" on my HDHomeRun Prime. I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling a known good driver hdhomerun_windows_20150826.exe and no help. I really don't want to rebuild my PC again! Any one have any idea on how to get my tuners back?

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 am

I've set up a Windows 7 VM on VMWare Workstation Player 12 and when trying to set up the TV signal is says that my computer is not digital cable ready and I can't use a cable card tuner. The good news is that it does in fact see the tuners! Anyone know how to make a VM digital cable ready? I've already installed playready and the digital cable advisor.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:27 am

Download and run this tool here: https://www.missingremote.com/guide/201 ... a-center-7

It will force the DCA to "pass"

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:37 am

RyC wrote:Download and run this tool here: https://www.missingremote.com/guide/201 ... a-center-7

Thanks RyC, this looks awesome. It says the download is not available unless you register and login. I did this and still do not see an option to download this tool.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:52 am

I found the download on another site...........progress! TV Setup complete...............now when I try to watch live tv I get Display Driver Error........the video playback device does not support playback of protected content...........arrrgh.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:15 pm

SpencerC wrote:I found the download on another site...........progress! TV Setup complete...............now when I try to watch live tv I get Display Driver Error........the video playback device does not support playback of protected content...........arrrgh.
run PlayReady from within WMC

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:24 pm

SpencerC wrote:
RyC wrote:Download and run this tool here: https://www.missingremote.com/guide/201 ... a-center-7

Thanks RyC, this looks awesome. It says the download is not available unless you register and login. I did this and still do not see an option to download this tool.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 99#p125499

I posted it here...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:52 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
SpencerC wrote:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 99#p125499

I posted it here...
Even better!

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:33 pm

RyC wrote:
Even better!
I am a registered people over there and once I logged in, it showed the download was not available any more. I grabbed the copy from my personal collection of tools to post here..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:34 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
RyC wrote:
Even better!
I am a registered people over there and once I logged in, it showed the download was not available any more. I grabbed the copy from my personal collection of tools to post here..
Well thank you for reposting it :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm

I experienced something today related to the Update Service. I think the box was 2015 LTSB "N" ..... Might have been Pro "N" ... Its busy updating right now.

So, anyway, the tuner was working, the guide was not populated. I decided to try and make the guide work last night. WMC continually gave me the NO INTERNET error. Checked the browser, ran the WMC internet crap. I have internet. Decided to uninstall the newer DCA and install the older DCA. Everything looks good except for no guide. I go to Update PlayReady. PlayReady says NO INTERNET. Guide and PlayReady both...NO INTERNET.

So I go into Services and enable the Update Service. Back to WMC PlayReady, and bingo....PlayReady completes it's mission, gives me the little Update System Settings screen. Go back to EPG and the guide populates.

This is the point where I should have disabled Update Service again, because, today, that one is on its way to somewhere.

Bummer

Edit: Amazing....WMC still works

Quick Quick DISABLE UPDATE .... Done, we'll see how this one plays out.
Attachments
Update001.jpg

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Crash, do you have the firewall enabled ? And did you let WMC pass through ?

I've seen the same issue when the DAM firewall service is enabled and you didn't allow it through it.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 am

DavidinCT wrote:Crash, do you have the firewall enabled ? And did you let WMC pass through ?

I've seen the same issue when the DAM firewall service is enabled and you didn't allow it through it.
I I did not touch the firewall at all actually I didn't even think of it. The reinstall of DCA and play Ready into windows might have open the firewall during the install. There has been a few people with the same complaint lately. No internet in WMC.

Did you have a look at Sammy's play Ready extender problem

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I experienced something today related to the Update Service. I think the box was 2015 LTSB "N" ..... Might have been Pro "N" ... Its busy updating right now.

So, anyway, the tuner was working, the guide was not populated. I decided to try and make the guide work last night. WMC continually gave me the NO INTERNET error. Checked the browser, ran the WMC internet crap. I have internet. Decided to uninstall the newer DCA and install the older DCA. Everything looks good except for no guide. I go to Update PlayReady. PlayReady says NO INTERNET. Guide and PlayReady both...NO INTERNET.

So I go into Services and enable the Update Service. Back to WMC PlayReady, and bingo....PlayReady completes it's mission, gives me the little Update System Settings screen. Go back to EPG and the guide populates.

This is the point where I should have disabled Update Service again, because, today, that one is on its way to somewhere.

Bummer

Edit: Amazing....WMC still works

Quick Quick DISABLE UPDATE .... Done, we'll see how this one plays out.
Quick Quick DISABLE UPDATE!!! Ha! I had the windows update service disabled and I still got updated. I've given up on WMC and am now trying out the Silicon Dust DVR. It sucks thus far.

johnjb

Post by johnjb » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:29 pm

could someone please repost a link to the overridedigitalcableadvisor . I can't find the link anywhere and am stuck

thanks,

john

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:36 am