Downloadable guide not available after Creator Update 1709

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
eugenePHD

HTPC Specs: Show details

Downloadable guide not available after Creator Update 1709

Post by eugenePHD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:45 pm

I had MC (latest) installed on my Windows 10 before the Creators Update. It was working fine.
After Creators Update (1703 and/or 1709), it stopped working. I removed and installed again. But now it does not seem to find guide showing error during TV setup "The new TV setup data could not be downloaded".
It worked before update. hosts file still has 2 IP defined. I played with those without any success.

Anybody had this issue and/or knows how to fix?

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:14 am

Yes, use this instead, at least it works.
I found it to be a reasonably good PVR TV program.
I tried to install WMC on win10 version 1709 and it fails with severe errors.

http://sichbopvr.com/

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 am

Does this work with the HDHomeRun Prime with cable card?

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am

I think the download problem is not related to 1709. For me under 1703 the download fails as well. Anyhow, WMC gets guide for a few days from my DVB-S2 card, so automatic recording is still possible. I have setup a nightly wakeup alarm for the system, so it's üowering on for a while every nigh even if there is no recording during a few days and so the system has the chance to can the sky for EPG regulary.

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 am

If WMC supported xmltv as in importing guide data then a program like zap2xml would be nice to use. WMC should be supported till at least 2020 for guide data.

http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

I found out sichbopvr does support xmltv, and you can import quide data pretty easily. I suppose the zap2xml could be run on a schedule as sichbopvr can be set to automatically load the xmltv guide data, so this could be seamless guide updating.

I

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 pm

I think i have come across a few different programs that might help. The first one to come to mind is webgrap plus because it generates MXF files, and I think it will either import xmltv files, or download directly from schedules direct. Webgrab plus is used with kodi quite a bit so maybe you check over there.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:12 pm

sdowney717 wrote:If WMC supported xmltv as in importing guide data then a program like zap2xml would be nice to use. WMC should be supported till at least 2020 for guide data.

I found out sichbopvr does support xmltv, and you can import quide data pretty easily. I suppose the zap2xml could be run on a schedule as sichbopvr can be set to automatically load the xmltv guide data, so this could be seamless guide updating.

I
Are you actually using this ? (or is anyone else ? ) Would love to have Zap2it back (and even more free) but, wondering the issues that come along with that...

Putting a scheduled task in every day, to download at 9 am and import in at 3pm (incase it runs into errors), every day with a batch file would be fairly easy and get guide updates every day.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

vertigox

Post by vertigox » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:31 am

DavidinCT wrote:
sdowney717 wrote:If WMC supported xmltv as in importing guide data then a program like zap2xml would be nice to use. WMC should be supported till at least 2020 for guide data.

I
Are you actually using this ? (or is anyone else ? ) Would love to have Zap2it back (and even more free) but, wondering the issues that come along with that...

Putting a scheduled task in every day, to download at 9 am and import in at 3pm (incase it runs into errors), every day with a batch file would be fairly easy and get guide updates every day.

I am using this, well not zap2it service, I use TVguide (-z) because zap2it was missing some channels... didn't try to figure out the tvguide had it all
"%~dp0zap2xml.exe" -z -u email@address.com -p passw0rd -A "new" -i icons
and
xcopy "%~dp0xmltv.xml" "c:\SichboPVR_Guide_Import\" /y
created a task sequence and voila
it works, this setup is the closest thing I found to WMC... very happy with it

eugenePHD

Post by eugenePHD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Actually, I went back to original Windows that came with laptop and installed WMC (works fine). Then I made my internet connections "metered" to prevent automatic download of updates other than critical. Worked for the last 5 months (fingers crossed!).

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Go into Services and Disable the Update Service. I did mine 3 years ago. Haven't looked at that one for awhile...I'll go check

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:42 pm

Here is a good suggestion for the guide problem

disable Defender runtime scan and Smart Screen as it blocks WMC and guide updates

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... st-1410808