Youtube TV in WMC ?

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Could not edit it, too late...

Figured it out. This needs to be done on Windows 7/8 pro, or higher using Group policy (local).

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/187202?hl=en

and the setting to change...

http://www.itninja.com/question/chrome- ... lt-browser

Now Chrome does not ask to be default (showing a little bar at the top) and it works like before :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:24 am

Sorry just saw this.. Glad you figured it out. I've been troubleshooting HTPC problems the last two months. If I don't figure it out soon David I may come visit you with Beer and my PC... lol
Glad you got it sorted.
newfiend~

Space

Post by Space » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:21 am

Just an FYI...

I just tried using http://www.youtube.com/tv on Firefox and it appears to work fine (at least on Windows 7), no need to use Chrome if you don't want to.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Space wrote:Just an FYI...

I just tried using http://www.youtube.com/tv on Firefox and it appears to work fine (at least on Windows 7), no need to use Chrome if you don't want to.
It ran fine but, had a problem running it in full screen mode. Anyway about it, it's a nice add-on to WMC, so if you use Chrome, Firefox, or IE, who cares.

I did try IE and Firefox running in full screen mode. Chrome was the only one that worked. Also, if your read through this whole thread, there is a way to really lock it down so it could work better than IE or firefox.

I ONLY use Chrome for YouTube TV
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:15 pm

newfiend wrote:Sorry just saw this.. Glad you figured it out. I've been troubleshooting HTPC problems the last two months. If I don't figure it out soon David I may come visit you with Beer and my PC... lol
Glad you got it sorted.
newfiend~
Name the time and date.... :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

WMCEnthusiast

Post by WMCEnthusiast » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm a little late to the party. I've done everything as suggested by @newfiend and @DavidinCT (huge props BTW), but unfortunately I can't for the life of me figure out how to hide the mouse cursor. Ironically, it works for every single situation except when I start YouTube from WMC. I'm rather tech savvy, so any hint what might be stopping AutoHideMouseCursor from working with Relaunch would be very much appreciated.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 pm

WMCEnthusiast wrote:I'm a little late to the party. I've done everything as suggested by @newfiend and @DavidinCT (huge props BTW), but unfortunately I can't for the life of me figure out how to hide the mouse cursor. Ironically, it works for every single situation except when I start YouTube from WMC. I'm rather tech savvy, so any hint what might be stopping AutoHideMouseCursor from working with Relaunch would be very much appreciated.
I still use YouTube on WMC almost every day (yea, a youtube junkie), If the mouse cursor is still showing up, close WMC/youtube and go back to your desktop and make sure it was still running.

When first set this up, I guess the check box, "start with WIndows" was unchecked. so after a reboot it was not working.

Just tweak the settings in the AutohideMouse… app..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

WMCEnthusiast

Post by WMCEnthusiast » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'm glad to hear that at least somebody still has this up and running as it's supposed to. I've tried literally everything in the AutoHide software - classic/new strategy, hide to tray, always start hidden, even starting the program with admin privileges. It works flawlessly for every single window except YouTube TV. This is driving me nuts. As soon as I move the cursor one bit it's enough to 'trigger' the AutoHide software to make it disappear, but the whole point of it was that I wanted to control YouTube without a keyboard.

Somehow Relaunch must keep AutoHide from recognizing the cursor. Can you per chance send me a screenshot from your AutoHide settings? Here are mine:

Also I have made sure that AutoHide is running when Relaunch is executed:

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:09 pm

FWIW, I just use the Kodi YouTube addon, linked from the WMC start menu:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11491

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:06 pm

tonywagner wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:09 pm FWIW, I just use the Kodi YouTube addon, linked from the WMC start menu:

Thanks for that, maybe I'll play with that to see if those apps (Amazon esp) is better than the app we are using now. Anyway about it, I use YouTube with as I said above. It works perfect, I use it almost every day.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 pm

tonywagner wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:09 pm FWIW, I just use the Kodi YouTube addon, linked from the WMC start menu:

Thanks for that, maybe I'll play with that to see if those apps (Amazon esp) is better than the app we are using now. Anyway about it, I use YouTube with as I said above. It works perfect, I use it almost every day.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

WMCEnthusiast

Post by WMCEnthusiast » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 pm

Thanks for the tip, I might consider this in the future. For now I've had it with AutoHideMouseCursor which never worked on any machine I tried it on. I have now created a hidden mouse pointer scheme from within Windows (see here). I'd rather switch mouse pointer schemes manually each time (or use a remote connection) than having to deal with this any longer.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:45 pm

WMCEnthusiast wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 pm Thanks for the tip, I might consider this in the future. For now I've had it with AutoHideMouseCursor which never worked on any machine I tried it on. I have now created a hidden mouse pointer scheme from within Windows (see here). I'd rather switch mouse pointer schemes manually each time (or use a remote connection) than having to deal with this any longer.
Very interesting. Its working fine for me and always has from my first problems. If I get the time tonight, I'll capture a screen shot of my settings but, if you gave up, it wont help you much.

I have my HTPC setup wit Youtube here and I use the same setup for Emulation Station (plays everything from 2600 to Wii games and I use a deicated 360 controller), and it works across all apps.

I like how it works, dont touch the mouse for XX time, it hides, move it and it appears. Do you have a mouse plugged in ? If so, disconnect it when WMC is running.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm

--Edited

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Officially as of last night. YouTube TV in Chrome is dead. When I try to open it on WMC it now goes right to the YouTube homepage.

So, besides using youtube/tv what is everyone else using for youtube ? I cant be with out Youtube for too long and hate browsing on my Xbox one...

Help !!!!
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:45 pm

YouTube /TV demise was the final nail in WMC for me. I bit the bullet and purchased a Nvidia shield for all my front end needs. I went off air/streaming over a year ago. Its funny the android YouTube interface is exactly the same as YouTube/TV was. Just another example of google shutting down a perfectly good program.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:52 pm

lurch66 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:45 pm YouTube /TV demise was the final nail in WMC for me. I bit the bullet and purchased a Nvidia shield for all my front end needs. I went off air/streaming over a year ago. Its funny the android YouTube interface is exactly the same as YouTube/TV was. Just another example of google shutting down a perfectly good program.
Well there is a way with Kodi to get Youtube working as they have official apps in the start menu. I just don't know how to install a very, very stripped down version of Kodi for it's applications that I can add to WMC's start menu.

Maybe it's time to look. They have offical Amazon, Netflix and Youtube apps, never mind other streaming services. I also kind of want a XM radio one... That would be nice.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

vanleeuwen

Post by vanleeuwen » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm

so the app is still running and there its just you need to access from a whitelisted device (e.g. not a PC/TV etc). The workaround is to install an extension for Chrome/edge (chrome version) details here : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... knbohhjpge

Now I use it with the "YouTube-TV.exe" app as part of the MCE Reset Toolbox. Does anyone know how I can edit this so it uses chrome/edge not IE ? Or is the a Path and set of arguments I can add to create a new entry point that will open chrome full screen etc ?

vanleeuwen

Post by vanleeuwen » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 pm

I have gotten a little further, so now I can open youtube full screen and with working youtube app although when going back to MCE I have an error saying "MCE7 Reset toolbox access denied" and I can click it with the remote so need the mouse or to close and reopen MCE. It seems MCE is not allowing reset toolbox to close MCE so give a access denied error. Not sure how to fix this but I do have a work around for opening chrome with youtube app as start page. The page opens before the extensions load so I added a redirect here http://www.singingwolf.com.au/youtube so if you use that link as your home page it will redirect to youtube tv app after the extensions load.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:54 pm

vanleeuwen wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 pm I have gotten a little further, so now I can open youtube full screen and with working youtube app although when going back to MCE I have an error saying "MCE7 Reset toolbox access denied" and I can click it with the remote so need the mouse or to close and reopen MCE. It seems MCE is not allowing reset toolbox to close MCE so give a access denied error. Not sure how to fix this but I do have a work around for opening chrome with youtube app as start page. The page opens before the extensions load so I added a redirect here http://www.singingwolf.com.au/youtube so if you use that link as your home page it will redirect to youtube tv app after the extensions load.
Very interesting. I will play with this tonight if I have the time...

and as for setting it up in WMC, I would suggest deleting it from MCE toolbox, and find a copy of ReLaunch... This will setup all the scripts needed to do what you want here. I had mine set to just hit the "green button" and when I did this it would CLOSE Youtube (or what other app I was running)..

After the ICON is created in WMC, THEN use MCE Toolbox to move it where you want it...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave