PlayReady

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
BruinBro

HTPC Specs: Show details

PlayReady

Post by BruinBro » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Made the move to EPG123 about 10 days ago and ever since I've been having to update PlayReady in WMC after every restart of the pc..not sure why, but I'd like to try and fix it..anybody know of a solution?

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:20 am

What OS are you running? I've only seen this once and it was on a Win10 machine. Is the PlayReady install successful but it keeps tying to install again?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

BruinBro

Post by BruinBro » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:02 am

Windows 7; It's installed correctly to my knowledge..it's not trying to re-install. I get the copy protected message on the cable channels and then when I go into the settings, it gives the option to update PlayReady, so I update it after restarts and then the cable channels come back.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 am

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and an Update PlayReady appeared on the Echo my wife was using. No message on the HTPC. I told her to click on the update. Then she couldn't watch either live TV or and recorded shows. Unfortunately, I'm recording football now so I can't reboot. I've never had this happen before.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:22 am

Any resolution for you guys? I was hoping those with more experience dealing with PlayReady would chime in.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

BruinBro

Post by BruinBro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Not yet..I installed a preview of the monthly quality rollup for Windows 7 and I restarted after that and was able to access the channels without having to update PlayReady a couple times so I was thought it was helping, but ever since it's gone back to its old ways.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:32 pm

After my HTPC shut down in the wee hours, and the 2 ETH's power cycled on a schedule, everything was fine the next day with no recurrence. The strange part was that the initial message appeared on the Echo's TV but not on the main HTPC.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Word to the wise.. Disable Windows Updates on a Win7 machine, especially if WMC is in use.

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Word to the wise.. Disable Windows Updates on a Win7 machine, especially if WMC is in use.
Why? I've been doing updates ever since my HTPC running Win7 was set up and have yet to see any issues at all. I'm sure that when support ends in 2020 that I will have to make a determination of how to proceed. However, as long as it is just running WMC and does not go out to the Internet for any other task that things might be OK> WMC seems to be quite a stable program other than the data outage issue that has been well documented on this site.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Alan G wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:Word to the wise.. Disable Windows Updates on a Win7 machine, especially if WMC is in use.
Why? I've been doing updates ever since my HTPC running Win7 was set up and have yet to see any issues at all. I'm sure that when support ends in 2020 that I will have to make a determination of how to proceed. However, as long as it is just running WMC and does not go out to the Internet for any other task that things might be OK> WMC seems to be quite a stable program other than the data outage issue that has been well documented on this site.
Because updates can break things, that's why.

The best approach is to schedule a weekly snapshot of your system, and then you can roll back if there is an issue.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes. I've had concurrent session RDP broken and a few other things not to mention that whole Win10 debacle. I don't trust Microsoft and waking up one day with a Win10 system with no WMC any longer so I shut all but MSE updates off. I've had no problems whatsoever with this for over a year now.