Switched from ETH6 to HDhomerun Prime - now HBO not working

smassey22180

HTPC Specs: Show details

Switched from ETH6 to HDhomerun Prime - now HBO not working

Post by smassey22180 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:05 pm

Recently I switched from using my Ceton ETH6 to a HD Homerun Prime using my existing cable card. My HBO is no longer working and give a "subscription not active" message. I am not sure of the correct search terms for what I need to do. Do I need to reset DRM? I have re-run the cable adviser in WMC. Or do I need to call Comcast?

I have 2 W8 WMC boxes and this happens on both. HBO works on Comcast website.

thanks in advance.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Cable cards have to be paired with a specific device by your provider. You can't just move the card from one device to another. You need to call Comcast and have the card re-authorized with the new device. That will require you to be able to tell them device ID information. See the SD web site for information on activating/pairing cable cards with the Prime.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:44 am

Thanks for the reply. After 45 minutes on the phone with comcast I figured out that they now have an automated system to pair.

https://activatecablecard.xfinity.com/c ... dactivate/

All is good now and wow does the Prime smoke the ETH6. Chanel's change almost instantly. The ETH6 is going on ebay tomorrow where it will net a little more than what I paid for the Prime.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:05 am

smassey22180 wrote:
All is good now and wow does the Prime smoke the ETH6. Chanel's change almost instantly. The ETH6 is going on ebay tomorrow where it will net a little more than what I paid for the Prime.
You won't regret this switch! I had two PCIe 6's and a ETH 6 and switched to 5 Prime's. It's worth every bit of the extra costs in CableCARD's! Granted.... I have Spectrum which only charges $2 per CableCARD so the additional $4 isn't a big deal.

But the entire time I had Ceton gear I thought WMC was to blame and how it sucked so much! The Prime's fixed ALL my issues.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:10 am

smassey22180 wrote:Thanks for the reply. After 45 minutes on the phone with comcast I figured out that they now have an automated system to pair.

Careful with Comcrap. If you find a month from now that channels start dropping off, call their cable card line 877-405-2298 (this number is for cable card support and activation only). MOST CSR's have NO CLUE on how to activate cablecards, so they will work that day but, after a few weeks channels start dropping off.

I did the page you went to when I got mine, STILL channels kept falling off after a while. I got on with their Cable Card line and it's been fine for over a year now.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 am

DavidinCT wrote:
smassey22180 wrote:Thanks for the reply. After 45 minutes on the phone with comcast I figured out that they now have an automated system to pair.

Careful with Comcrap. If you find a month from now that channels start dropping off, call their cable card line 877-405-2298 (this number is for cable card support and activation only). MOST CSR's have NO CLUE on how to activate cablecards, so they will work that day but, after a few weeks channels start dropping off.

I did the page you went to when I got mine, STILL channels kept falling off after a while. I got on with their Cable Card line and it's been fine for over a year now.
Thanks. I did call the cable card number above after 30 minutes of normal rep time wasting. Normal rep actually transferred me to Tivo because they are that clueless. I just posed the link because the cable card csr did mention it just came out of beta and that it now works now.

EvanWasHere

Post by EvanWasHere » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:06 am

kd6icz wrote:
smassey22180 wrote:
You won't regret this switch! I had two PCIe 6's and a ETH 6 and switched to 5 Prime's. It's worth every bit of the extra costs in CableCARD's! Granted.... I have Spectrum which only charges $2 per CableCARD so the additional $4 isn't a big deal.

But the entire time I had Ceton gear I thought WMC was to blame and how it sucked so much! The Prime's fixed ALL my issues.

I have been using the ETH6 for years. The only issue I have is needing to reboot my server every few days when it stops seeing the Ceton. It's annoying and happens randomly.

I am planning on moving to the Prime as I want to try out their DVR software as well as Plex's.

What other differences are there?

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:47 pm

EvanWasHere wrote:
kd6icz wrote:
smassey22180 wrote:

I have been using the ETH6 for years. The only issue I have is needing to reboot my server every few days when it stops seeing the Ceton. It's annoying and happens randomly.

I am planning on moving to the Prime as I want to try out their DVR software as well as Plex's.

What other differences are there?
No reboots have been required since the switch to the Prime. No regrets with the switch from 6 to 3 tuners. 3 reliable tuners is better than 6 inconsistent ones.

Plex DVR is just a VCR. It can record something and play it back when the recording is complete. No pause or any another 21st century features are available yet. I have not tried the Prime DVR as WMC has been working much better.

Other differences are the channels change super fast and the unit does not overheat.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:47 pm

smassey22180 wrote:
No reboots have been required since the switch to the Prime. No regrets with the switch from 6 to 3 tuners. 3 reliable tuners is better than 6 inconsistent ones.

Plex DVR is just a VCR. It can record something and play it back when the recording is complete. No pause or any another 21st century features are available yet. I have not tried the Prime DVR as WMC has been working much better.

Other differences are the channels change super fast and the unit does not overheat.

The "no rebooting" and WMC just working in general takes some getting used to but.... After 6 months of not having to reboot the tuners you'll be used to it! ;)

Plex DVR is a.... Joke! Been playing around with it since the day the first beta was released. Still just playing with it. I have 1 Prime dedicated to it. It does support Live TV and time shifting functions if you have an iOS or Android TV client. That's really the only thing I use it for.... Dodger games on my phone. Of course it can only stream non-DRM channels so, because Spectrum owns SportsNet LA, it's not DRM protected.