Display Driver Error

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display Driver Error

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:52 pm

I have Win7 Pro Installed on a sony VAIO laptop that came with windows 8 out of the box, and I use this as my WMC machine through an HDMI cable hooked up to my TV. My problem is that I have to start live tv playback with the HDMI unplugged from the PC in order to avoid a Display driver error message. If I leave the PC hooked up through HDMI and play live TV from a fresh windows startup, I get the display driver error, and have to unhook the HDMI cable, let live TV start playing on the laptop, then plug the HDMI cable back in so that I can view TV.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:46 pm

The laptop LCD might be display port which is not fully compatible with wmc.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:15 pm

How would I find out for sure? If it were display port, would it still work ever?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 am

First you would need to research the exact model of your VAIO, another possibility is your sound is not setup properly which can cause this. See this entry: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... age#p75071

After reading your first entry again it is not the displayport issue as that would be a problem only on the LCD of the laptop. It could also be your tv display or stereo receiver if your doing pass thru.

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Could be a HDCP issue, where the EDID information is not retained.

I have a PC with one of the HDMI outputs going to a splitter feeding 3 TV's in different rooms. I was always getting similar errors.

I purchased a 'Gefen HDMI Detective', which solved the issue. This product has been discontinued and Gefen has been sold to Core Brands. I don't know if they are making a newer model, but I think you can still buy used or new from other sources.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-edidp ... od_id=8005

There are similar products from other companies like 'Doctor HDMI'.

I have one monitor that is not connected to the the Gefen Detective that gets the 'Unable to Play this Video' error with WMC sometimes. If I minimize then maximize the window, it usually starts playing live TV.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm

I rebuilt my machine, and this is back. I've tried playing with the sound settings, which has been successful every other time but I'm not getting much luck this time. I can't remember the exact combo that worked before but I also stumbled up on this https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... 6&start=45 if you scroll about halfway down you will find a link to a file that is called HDMI Yoyo. Its supposed to iniate a new handshake each time the PC wakes up. My PC never goes to sleep but I'm thinking I can just trigger this program to run each time WMC starts or is maximized using EventGhost. I'll have to try it and report back.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm

I had the same problem with a laptop. The problem is M$ doesn't want you to watch TV using 1 source displaying on 2 destinations, at the same time. There are a couple workarounds.....

1a) Set your display to "Stretch" rather than "Clone" i.e. (1 source "stretched" on to 2 destinations)
1b) Use (software) such as..... Actual Multiple Monitors or Maxifer to virtualize 2 displays on 1 stretched display.

or.....

2) Go into display settings and disable the built in laptop screen.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm

I think that is what I had setup differently last time. I think I played around with connect to a projector/ connect to an external display and some combination got it working without AMM. I have a copy of AMM also but I'm going to see if I can narrow this down to just a windows setting.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:48 am

I got the message to go away, and I'm writing this down right now so I have here forever hopefully. I did a search for connect in the start ment, and selected Connect to an exrernal Display. I then told windows to only show the screen on my external display. THis seemed to fix it.

groucho111

Post by groucho111 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:46 am

I have an alienware laptop that has essentially two video cards, one for regular display and a geforce card that kicks in for games and stuff. I get the same error and the solution was very simple. Minimize WMC then maximize it again. try it.