Guide Data Outage - Winter 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
ninianne98

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ninianne98 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Nashville, TN with Comcast Digital, 3 W7 HTPC boxes, each with a Ceton tuner: 1 has full programming guide the 2 others have incomplete programming guides, all will expire on 2/7.

When I first noticed that I was running out of lineups, I toggled the provider (Comcast -> ATT -> Comcast) because sometimes that clears up issues. I have schedule data on the 2 others for the non HD programming restored, but the HD version of the same stations don't have any lineup data - ex Food Network, CNN, FoxNews, TNT, USA, BBC America etc. have both low number SD versions and channel numbers >1000 for the HD version, the low number SD channel lineup came back, but again, expires on 2/7, but nada came down for the high number HD channels...

I had trouble with one of the boxes back in December where no matter what I did, it wouldn't get a lineup for most of the month, so between windows updates being messed up/failing, and a few other things, I fully rebuilt the box, and it had been getting updates like a champ since 1/6 until now...

bdipert

Post by bdipert » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Comcast in Golden, CO. My channel guide for HD channels currently ends at 5PM MT on Monday, February 6. SD channels extend one day further, to 5PM MT on Tuesday, February 7.

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:20 pm

JonFincherMSFT wrote:Hi guys:

Just wanted to let you know we're working on this. I forwarded the issue to the team yesterday, and followed up again today - when I hear more back, I'll post here.

--Jon,MSFT

Thanks for looking into this, but can we get an update? Is it likely to be fixed before Monday, when most of our guide data runs out?

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:41 pm

foose wrote: Would love an update at the end of today, if possible. Is it the kind of bug they would work on over the weekend?

If I get one, I'll post it immediately - but I wouldn't count on it. I received a call late yesterday afternoon saying MS still hadn't found the problem. Was told I'd get a call today if fixed, but if not, on Monday either way.

In the past these outages weren't worked on over the weekend, but given the down-to-the-wire timing, this might be an exception. If not, we will definitely break the previous record of down to 3 days set a few years ago. :) Maybe Jon can chime in?

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 pm

That's the bad thing about the recent-ish EPG updates that I feel have happened, seems recently I've only had 7 days worth of guide data where a year or two ago I had about 14 days of guide data... So when the service goes down and my system hasn't updated recently then I'm SOL as the guide doesn't stretch far enough out into the future...

With that said I'll probably ditch MSFT's EPG and pay for the 3rd party... Annoyed with MSFT's EPG issues all the time and short guide listings (3 to 6 days)... Seems recently I've been getting issues with it not updating or having the wrong art etc (Also had issues with shows not showing with any episode information so it would always record them when my series settings was set to only record "NEW")... So long MSFT, it's been nice but glad they found a nice way to work around it, just sucks you have to pay for it, but a better rate than renting a DVR box from Comcast. I just wish that HDHomerun had a better guide function but they can't seeing that it is patented... Maybe someday I'll switch off of WMC too, but not until a better UI comes along for the HDHomerun. :)

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:12 pm

I'm totally disgusted with Microsoft's lack of support on this. They should know the data isn't updating, we should not have to tell them. And then, they respond too slowly. I will be looking int other options, I'm tired of this.
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Well they dropped WMC without giving any replacement in Windows 10... So they probably don't care as they tried to force the windows 10 update any everybody...

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Yeah, the apologists keep explaining why they MS doesn't have to stay on top of this, which is really a file reformat and upload to a server on their end. They give it to someone who doesn't give a rats behind and it breaks often.
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:57 pm

I work with data for a living and it's not hard to program something to be consistent, but you know what they say garbage in garbage out... I wouldn't think they'd be getting garbage in but oh well... I've already decided I'm not going to deal with it any longer.

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Well at this point all we can do is play the waiting game I guess.

I have started using Plex and have setup Plex DVR. Unfortunately, like the HDHomeRun DVR application there is no comprehensive guide grid in Plex DVR but you can search the guide, see upcoming shows in the guide and schedule recordings. With applications like "FollowShows" I have a fairly good idea of what scheduled shows are coming up as well. So I have something to fallback on should this go beyond 2-8-2017 but its not a very robust solution compared to Media Center IMO.

craigwillie

Post by craigwillie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:54 pm

SugarFree wrote:Update 2: MS believes it's a bug - but they can't find it. Yet. Watch this space. :)
Anyone have any updates on the cause / status of this issue or a resolution?

I will run out of guide data in 4 days.

gbbookgirl

Post by gbbookgirl » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Anyone have any idea if guide will update for February 7, 2017?

mediawiz

Post by mediawiz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:30 am

I live in the San Francisco east bay area, and my guide stopped getting new data about 2 weeks ago. I have Comcast digital cable and internet service, and its definitely not a problem with my internet connection (which I'm using to post this).

Space

Post by Space » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:35 am

mediawiz wrote:I live in the San Francisco east bay area, and my guide stopped getting new data about 2 weeks ago. I have Comcast digital cable and internet service, and its definitely not a problem with my internet connection (which I'm using to post this).
Did you install patch KB3212646 for Windows 7? Uninstall it.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =5&t=10598

amcneish

Post by amcneish » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:55 am

Hi
I do not think this is a Microsoft Bug... This problem shows up in JRIVER Media Center as well... This looks like ROVI has stopped updating...

ROVI will not correspond with end users....

I hope Microsoft has reached out to ROVI....

Hope this note helps....

PS: I am in Ottawa Ontario Canada using Rogers HD Digital feed....

PPS: One really great fix to this would be to add a feature to Windows Media Center.. to permit updates from other EPG's This way when a EPG gets flakey.. we can change to another service...

chunki

Post by chunki » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:58 am

On my WMC, it reported a communication problem on 2/1. Now, the communication error is gone. Unfortunately, still no data.

Code: Select all

2/1/2017 - communication problem

2:32:08 PM - Testing internet connection.
2:33:24 PM - Connection established.
2:33:39 PM - Retrieving Directory.

2:33:40 PM - Failed to retrieve Directory (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.)

2:33:40 PM - The MCEClientMaintenance package is already up to date.
2:33:40 PM - The NetworkMetadata package is not available.
2:33:40 PM - Testing internet connection.
2:33:40 PM - Connection established.
2:33:40 PM - Retrieving SportsSchedule.
2:33:40 PM - Failed to retrieve SportsSchedule (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.)
2:33:41 PM - Retrieving SportsV2.
2:33:41 PM - Failed to retrieve SportsV2 (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.)
2:33:41 PM - Retrieving ClientUpdate.
2:33:42 PM - Failed to retrieve ClientUpdate (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.)
2:33:47 PM - Retrieving EpgListings.
2:33:47 PM - Failed to retrieve EpgListings (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.)
2:34:02 PM - Errors during the last update.
2:34:02 PM - Will retry at 2/1/2017 3:34:02 PM.

ramdaskm

Post by ramdaskm » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:26 am

For me in Dallas, ends on Feb 07 6 PM. Is there an email we can send to Rovi?

Space

Post by Space » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:27 am

amcneish wrote:Hi
I do not think this is a Microsoft Bug... This problem shows up in JRIVER Media Center as well... This looks like ROVI has stopped updating...

TiVo boxes also had an issue when the problem first occurred, but I think the problem was resolved soon afterwards...

Perhaps old Rovi changed something in the format of the data and old TiVo was able to quickly make the adjustment.

Rovi bought TiVo Corp. a while ago, but they probably still run as separate organizations, so it would not be that unusual that the old TiVo did not know what the old Rovi was doing until after they did it.

Roginator

Post by Roginator » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 am

ROVI powers the cable listings for my cable provider. No problem apparent there. https://www.gci.com/tv/guide

amcneish

Post by amcneish » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:53 am

I wonder if this is an issue where possibly a recent update to SSL Certificates have not been passed on to Windows systems... Both the Windows Media Center and JRIVER Media Center share the lack of ROVI updates....