Guide fails update after Win7 Jan 2017 Updates

cyclej99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide fails update after Win7 Jan 2017 Updates

Post by cyclej99 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:26 pm

We noticed our scheduled recordings were lacking a number of programs for the upcoming week. After completing the normal testing and troubleshooting, I found that the January 2017 Windows 7 updated was blocking the function. After un-installing the patch, WMC guide updated as normal and scheduled recordings restored.

We do see a few of the programs are tagged as RERUN when they're actually not, but suspect this is in the guide contents rather than WMC failing.

mjpierce

Post by mjpierce » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 pm

I can second this. All I did was uninstall this patch this morning and my guide works again.

chaycock

Post by chaycock » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:26 pm

cyclej99 wrote:We noticed our scheduled recordings were lacking a number of programs for the upcoming week. After completing the normal testing and troubleshooting, I found that the January 2017 Windows 7 updated was blocking the function. After un-installing the patch, WMC guide updated as normal and scheduled recordings restored.

We do see a few of the programs are tagged as RERUN when they're actually not, but suspect this is in the guide contents rather than WMC failing.
Can you post the KB number that you uninstalled?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:03 pm

The one that comes via Windows Update is:

January 2017 Security Monthly Quality Rollup, KB3212646

I installed:

January 2017 Security Only Quality Update, KB3212642

via the Windows Update catalog & WMC guide updates are fine.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Interesting, I have KB3212646 installed and am receiving guide updates normally

WhichwayDidHeGo

Post by WhichwayDidHeGo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:48 pm

I wasn't getting guide updates. After several restarts and other troubleshooting, I removed the security update mentioned, restarted and the guide updated successfully :)

Thanks for the tip on this one, would have never figured it out.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Very interesting.

I noticed yesterday that my guide had failed to update for approximately 7 days. However, before I noticed the problem I had rebooted my HTPC for some other maintenance. When I noticed that that the guide had failed to update I forced an update via WMC and it updated. I'll be curious to see if properly automatically updates over the next few days as I still have the KB3212646 installed.

When I looked at the Event Log on the automatic downloading of the guide, it was downloading the file OK, but indicated no additional guide data - similar to the twice a year daylight savings time MSFT fiasco. About 6 hours later on Sunday afternoon when I manually requested the the guide it worked and populated 13 days of data.

So for those of you having this problem was it failing to download the guide itself or was it that the guide simply did not contain updated data? Is it possible MSFT fixed something with their servers on Sunday between the time you removed the update and when you finally got guide data?

And for those that are having this problem see if a reboot fixes the issue + manual guide update. It will take me a few days to determine if this means that automatic guide updates are broken as in the current world MSFT doesn't properly update its guide data every single day.

cyclej99

Post by cyclej99 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:41 pm

> So for those of you having this problem was it failing to download the guide itself or was it that the guide simply did not contain updated data?

The problem related to both automatic and manual guide update processes. When performing the manual update, the system would go to work in the background for several minutes but WMC eventually return with an error message confirming the guide update failure.

Prior to removal of the Windows patch set, the normal resolutions were all unsuccessful. (Reboot, reset TV Input, etc)

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:56 pm

cyclej99 wrote:The problem related to both automatic and manual guide update processes. When performing the manual update, the system would go to work in the background for several minutes but WMC eventually return with an error message confirming the guide update failure.

Prior to removal of the Windows patch set, the normal resolutions were all unsuccessful. (Reboot, reset TV Input, etc)
Thanks! Appears to be different from my issue.

I hope SiliconDust finally gets its DRM TV solution finalized. It's getting very tiring limping along with MSFT no longer supporting WMC.

Sam Hood

Post by Sam Hood » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:29 pm

The above fix hasn't worked for me. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the January update. I have tried multiple reboots with the update uninstalled and with it installed.

I fear my days with Media Centre are coming to an end. :(( I'll try entering fixed recording times and dates but I'll only put up with that for a few weeks or until I miss something important.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Sam Hood wrote:The above fix hasn't worked for me. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the January update. I have tried multiple reboots with the update uninstalled and with it installed.

I fear my days with Media Centre are coming to an end. :(( I'll try entering fixed recording times and dates but I'll only put up with that for a few weeks or until I miss something important.
I believe the current guide issue is unrelated. Take a look here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 96&t=10615