W10 HDHOMERUN Prime WMC finds no tuners

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
aseries

HTPC Specs: Show details

W10 HDHOMERUN Prime WMC finds no tuners

Post by aseries » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:51 pm

My Windows 10 Test box runs Insider Fast with release 14915. The HDHOMERUN VIEW works OK but when WMC for W10 is installed everything looks OK but TV Signal Setup immediately can not find a tuner. I know it did work up until some time around February 2016. Since then there have been new releases to Insider Windows 10 almost weekly. Somewhere along the way the WMC hooks to HDHOMERUN services got lost. That's my theory.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:18 pm

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 63#p110363

WMC was last optimized for Windows 7. I can only recommend that people either hang on to their windows 7 keys or try to obtain one while it's still in the realm of possibility. I guess that applies to windows 8 but only with an existing MC key for W8.

rknox

Post by rknox » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:38 am

I have been using version 16384 with HDhr prime since before the anniversary update. I also used the delay upgrades feature to stay on w10 1511. About 2 or 3 days ago, prime tuners stopped working and mc no longer recognizes it. Any ideas on why this happened now, while still on 1511? Last 10 update of any kind according to history was 9/1. Are there other builds might restore functionality? The HDhr app detects all tuners ok still and I can still view content on VIEW app. Also, everything works ok on my dual boot 8.1 setup.

rknox

Post by rknox » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:41 pm

rknox wrote:I have been using version 16384 with HDhr prime since before the anniversary update. I also used the delay upgrades feature to stay on w10 1511. About 2 or 3 days ago, prime tuners stopped working and mc no longer recognizes it. Any ideas on why this happened now, while still on 1511? Last 10 update of any kind according to history was 9/1. Are there other builds might restore functionality? The HDhr app detects all tuners ok still and I can still view content on VIEW app. Also, everything works ok on my dual boot 8.1 setup.
I have resolved this. Some networking changes caused w10 to create a new "public" network profile on my system. It seems w10 creates a public profile by default, versus a "private" profile which I believe most people would use at home. It is further confusing that under a public profile, the HDHR setup app properly detects all tuners, and the VIEW app even plays channels. BUT, under the public profile, Media Center will not discover the Prime tuners, and as in my situation, with tuners previously discovered, TV channels will stop working within MC.

genesound

Post by genesound » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:37 am

rknox wrote:
rknox wrote:I have been using version 16384 with HDhr prime since before the anniversary update. I also used the delay upgrades feature to stay on w10 1511. About 2 or 3 days ago, prime tuners stopped working and mc no longer recognizes it. Any ideas on why this happened now, while still on 1511? Last 10 update of any kind according to history was 9/1. Are there other builds might restore functionality? The HDhr app detects all tuners ok still and I can still view content on VIEW app. Also, everything works ok on my dual boot 8.1 setup.
I have resolved this. Some networking changes caused w10 to create a new "public" network profile on my system. It seems w10 creates a public profile by default, versus a "private" profile which I believe most people would use at home. It is further confusing that under a public profile, the HDHR setup app properly detects all tuners, and the VIEW app even plays channels. BUT, under the public profile, Media Center will not discover the Prime tuners, and as in my situation, with tuners previously discovered, TV channels will stop working within MC.
Interesting, thanks for that info, I may try this in Win 10. I'm still running WMC in Win7 with a dual boot scenario to use my HDHR Primes.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:42 am

aseries wrote:My Windows 10 Test box runs Insider Fast with release 14915. The HDHOMERUN VIEW works OK but when WMC for W10 is installed everything looks OK but TV Signal Setup immediately can not find a tuner. I know it did work up until some time around February 2016. Since then there have been new releases to Insider Windows 10 almost weekly. Somewhere along the way the WMC hooks to HDHOMERUN services got lost. That's my theory.
At present CableCARD Tuners are broken in 14393. There were some reports back in Feb-March that CC Tuners had stopped working, so it was expected they would break in 14393. The only workaround at present is to install DVBLink which creates a virtual tuner that WMC is able to see. One slight problem with DVBLink.....DRM channels don't work.

eclas

Post by eclas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:12 pm

Apparently the anniv update has broken my wmc setup on win 10.
I am on a private profile and have tried all the tricks on the net but I cannot get wmc to see the hd prime tuners.
I tried installing the v8.8.1 of wmc after uninstalling the other one but still can't see the tuners.
Bummer

rnwells

Post by rnwells » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Running Win10Pro ver 1607 build 14393.693 with Homerun tuners. Any fixes for 'no tuner found"?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:43 pm

You might need to manually register the Home run WMC service if you don't see it in your services or change to automatic start running. Also network discovery has to be turned on.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm

rnwells wrote:Running Win10Pro ver 1607 build 14393.693 with Homerun tuners. Any fixes for 'no tuner found"?
Not really, some work-arounds but, it will break later.

UNLESS YOU NEED WIndows 10 for some reason. Do yourself a favor and use WIndows 7 or 8.1 w/wmc.

If you NEED to run 10, roll back to the PRE-anniversary version and disable the Windows update service. If you update PAST that, Microsoft changed the DRM system in it, the OLD (WMC, Zune, WMP) DRM system is gone, and it was replaced with a new one that supports HDCP 2.2 but does not support older software.

Getting WMC to run past that on DRM based channels, is very hit or miss. It's a hack to get it work and you do end up with days where it does not work.

If you want a painless WMC install, Windows 10 is not it... Unless your willing to run a older version of 10 and not update.

I have a Ceton Invfitv 6 PCIe, after the anniversary update, it has never worked again.... always see the "No tuner found" error...Moved to 7 on my HTPC...and no problems, perfect
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:22 am

That's nonsense, for me Win 10 (1607 with all current updates) with WMC runs fine. It detects two SAT TV tuners (Technotrend S2-4100 twin tuner) and I have enabled one of them for WMC. (The other is used with DVBViewer & Kodi). WMC works nice with HDTV, does automatic recording like expected.

rnwells

Post by rnwells » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Did you do anything to get Win 10 1607 to detect your SAT TV tuners?

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:15 pm

1ST1 wrote:That's nonsense, for me Win 10 (1607 with all current updates) with WMC runs fine. It detects two SAT TV tuners (Technotrend S2-4100 twin tuner) and I have enabled one of them for WMC. (The other is used with DVBViewer & Kodi). WMC works nice with HDTV, does automatic recording like expected.
This has nothing to do with what is referred to above.

What is broken in WMC with windows 10 anniversary edition are cable card Tuners and DRM.
If you are not using these, then sure you are fine, but if you are, you are screwed :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:21 am

Correct...CableCard Tuners are broken. Satellite DRM channels such as HBO are broken also.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Correct...CableCard Tuners are broken. Satellite DRM channels such as HBO are broken also.
And the way things look, there will not be a fix for them. Microsoft changed their whole DRM setup in the newer versions of Windows 10, and with that they broke all old application DRM, this includes Zune desktop software, Windows Media Player DRM and of course Windows Media Center (there was a few 3rd party programs that used it as well that is also broken). DRM is not an easy one to address, as if it could be cracked easy, no one would allow music and other content on there.

If you want to run Windows 10 and have WMC WITH a cablecard tuner, you need to go PRE-Anniversary as anything after that does this change. Still your best bet if you NEED WMC is Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 with WMC, as with Windows 10, your just waiting for another update to come and break WMC. Many threads on MDL were a update came down and WMC was gone.

If your going for OTA, or NON-cable card source, it should find the tuner.

When It really comes down to it....The dream is really gone now :(
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi,

Any updates on WMC detecting tuner problem? I don't care about DRM but wish my Ceton Cablecard to get recognized by WMC under Win 10.

Thanks

scrambler

Post by scrambler » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:53 pm

For only cable card, crash2009 tested a workaround at present installing DVBLink which creates a virtual tuner that WMC is able to see.

He has the details in posts that I summarize at the Digital life below
https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... ost1273226

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:24 pm

davidm71 wrote:Hi,

Any updates on WMC detecting tuner problem? I don't care about DRM but wish my Ceton Cablecard to get recognized by WMC under Win 10.

Thanks
scrambler wrote:For only cable card, crash2009 tested a workaround at present installing DVBLink which creates a virtual tuner that WMC is able to see.

He has the details in posts that I summarize at the Digital life below
https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... ost1273226
That works for the HDR ones but, NOT for the Ceton tuners.

From anniversary upgrade on Windows 10, no Ceton tuner has been usable with any hack. I would love to be proven wrong here but, I have even tried the DVBlink trying to get it to work and nope.

Has anyone seen a Ceton tuner working on a new upgrade on 10 ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Just uninstall the current hdhomerun driver and install the 8/31/15 version, it has a service that you need for WMC to find the tuners http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdo ... /4/1?tsf=0