Guide Data Outage - Winter 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
cbarbie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Data Outage - Winter 2017 Edition

Post by cbarbie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Last time it updated was 1/26/2017. The guide currently goes thru 2/5/2017.

Richmond, VA
Comcast

Any one else experiencing this? If you are, please go to Microsoft Connect, click the Green up arrow (on the left), and click on the "Repros - I can to" (on the right). Link below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... downloaded

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Las Vegas 89117 - the EPG has not downloaded for two days now. There is a ticket open at Microsoft Connect:
Media Center Guide not updating - "The Guide could not be downloaded" | Microsoft Connect

Barb at the Microsoft Community forum has been asked to contact her connection with Microsoft as of today (1/28/17).

No updates since 1/26/17

prje

Post by prje » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:47 am

Same here, Connect ticket bumped. Thanks

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Same in Charter S. Calif. But if I remember correctly, this happened last weekend and updated on Monday... One wonders...

prje

Post by prje » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 pm

prje wrote:Same here, Connect ticket bumped. Thanks
Forgot to add my Cable Provider info:
Verizon FIOS Burlington MA 02053

BananaTruck11

Post by BananaTruck11 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:52 am

Same or similar problem here. Asks me to download the data and says it completed the download but no new data in the guide.

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:30 pm

I read on the Microsoft Community forum, that TIVO is having the same problem with the EPG not updating so this problem may be on the ROVI/TIVO side.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 pm

Still no update, just bumped up the MS connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... downloaded

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:21 pm

Was able to reach Suzy Moore at Tivo/Rovi. She created an internal ticket with Microsoft (as she did the last two times this happened - To our has been great about this!) and will contact me once she hears back.

She also confirmed that MS no longer checks Connect, and that their relationship with them is also... difficult. But they do respond to the Rovi internal tickets, so we should get relief in a day or so. I'll post any update as soon as I get one.

prje

Post by prje » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:40 pm

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:07 pm

Unfortunately, I'm having guide update issues as well. It was going so well there for a while. I had hoped that we were past this. I don't know when the guide stopped updating but I have guide data up to 2-7-2017.

RCN NYC 10025

I noticed that there was something different about this issue. What usually happens in my case is that when there is a guide data problem, guide data eventually continues updates for cable channels but no OTA channels. In this case there is just no data beyond 2-7-2017 for any channel.

Whenever there a guide data problem though I typically have to go through a number of steps to correct the problem on my system even if the issue (Microsoft / Rovi) that caused the problem has been addressed. The steps are:

1) opened an elevated cammand prompt
2) flushed DNS with ipconfig /flushdns
2) opened taskschd.msc
3) rerun scheduler library > Microsoft > media center > objectstorerecovery via right click > run
4) let run for about 2 min then stop
5) shutdown
6) clean boot
7) Open media center
8) reconfigure TV signal
9) manually download guide

I can get away with just a objectstorerecovery and shutdown / reboot but no matter what it almost always leads to having to reconfigure the TV signal as well as a restoration of scheduled recordings via a backup. Its a real PITA.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Update: though not much of one. Rovi just called to say MS responded to this morning's ticket, but haven't been able to find the software bug yet. It's clearly on their side, since all Tivos have fully updated guides and the guide information has been passed from Rovi to MS. Rovi said they'll be back in touch once they know more.

JonFincher

Post by JonFincher » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi guys:

Just wanted to let you know we're working on this. I forwarded the issue to the team yesterday, and followed up again today - when I hear more back, I'll post here.

--Jon,MSFT

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 pm

prje wrote:I messaged JonFincherMSFT also. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 96&t=10423
I sent him a PM on this forum on Saturday. No response despite his claim he'd set up notifications and would respond.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:31 pm

JonFincherMSFT wrote:Hi guys:

Just wanted to let you know we're working on this. I forwarded the issue to the team yesterday, and followed up again today - when I hear more back, I'll post here.

--Jon,MSFT
Good to hear, thanks for the info.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:10 pm

Every time this has happened in the past, I do nothing and it magically fixes itself at the same time as everyone else. There's no need to try messing with DNS or the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask or anything else. You just gotta wait it out.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:35 pm

Same here.

You can fiddle for the sake of fiddling, if it makes you happy, but it doesn't do anything.

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:16 pm

RyC wrote:Every time this has happened in the past, I do nothing and it magically fixes itself at the same time as everyone else. There's no need to try messing with DNS or the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask or anything else. You just gotta wait it out.
adam1991 wrote:Same here.

You can fiddle for the sake of fiddling, if it makes you happy, but it doesn't do anything.
I have two Media Center systems and that is true of one of them. The Media Center system that corrects itself when the source of the external issue is fixed is a cablecard (SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime) only system. The Media Center system that does not fully self correct uses a signal source combination of OTA via 2x SiliconDust HDHomeRun (dual tuner) and cable via 2x Hauppauge HD PVR USB units (dvblink for Hauppauge HD PVR). When the issue is corrected externally (via Rovi or Microsoft) the cable channels are populated with guide data for the most part but the OTA channels are no longer updated. The exceptions are cable channels that that have the same guide data as an OTA channel (local affiliate) in which case neither the OTA channel or the cable channel will have guide data.

So in other words channels like HBO-HD, SyFy-HD, Showtime-HD ect are typically fine once the issue has been corrected by Rovi / Microsoft but local channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS ect are no longer updated with guide data on either OTA or cable channels. The only fix that I am aware of at that point is to run the ObjectStoreRecovery task and anything else that typically comes with it. The DNS isn't necessary though.

Believe me when I say I wish I didn't have to do this but on this system in question it is necessary barring the revelation of some other fix that has yet to reveal itself.

Naturally running the ObjectStoreRecovery task before the issue is corrected by Rovi / Microsoft will yield no benefits. So when the cablecard system begins properly populating the guide again and the OTA/cable Media Center system does not I know its time to take steps. Still I typically wait until the last day of guide data to take action assuming the external issue has been corrected. Typically this is days after the external Rovi / Microsoft fix.

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 pm

I use a cable card Hauppauge dual tuner for COX Cable and have not had the problem with all the OTA channels not repopulating, but sometimes a couple of them don't repopulate when the ROVI/Microsoft problem is corrected.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Update 2: MS believes it's a bug - but they can't find it. Yet. Watch this space. :)