EPG123 / DVBlink server and WMC

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
bigjohn

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 / DVBlink server and WMC

Post by bigjohn » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi everyone.
I have a WMC that has been running with EPG123 for a while now, but just last night I got the "corruption in guide data" error from windows, and, had to re-setup live tv (arrgh).

Here's my setup:
I have 4 tuners (Colossus media capture devices) that grab the signal off HDMI from my Dish Network boxes.

To use the Colossus, DVB link is required. It makes WMC7 see the colossus as a 'satellite dish tuner card', and also handles sending the IR commands to control the Dish box(s) - so I have 4 dish boxes stacked up, and each is set to use a different IR code set.

Doing the lineup on DVBlink was painful - what with all the audio channels and random Sh*T in the dish guide, so, I manually edited and LOCKED the XML file for DVB link to include the roughly 122 channels that I use.

Now that EPG123 is in the picture, I think I can simplify? But I'm not sure exactly where. Any help/thoughts?
I suspect that having these two fighting each other is causing issues. For example, when I run lineup selector it says:
Merged Lineup used by your guide (Final RTW- US/Charger Communications Suwanee...) - and that can't be right?
WMI Lineup to sync to: Final RTW-US
So I'm not 100% sure how that all should work - but it does NOT "LOOK" right to me...

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:59 am

here are the tab's you are looking for.
Attachments
14393_090.jpg
14393_091.jpg
14393_092.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:05 am

Then in WMC....DVB Configuration/Synchronize Channels
Attachments
14393_093.jpg
14393_094.jpg
14393_095.jpg

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:14 am

I've never messed with DVBLink, so don't know exactly what it does or how it does it. I just figured it was a configurable software tuner to act as a middle man to whatever you wanted. That being said, I thought epg123 would make thinks a lot easier, but no one with DVBLink ever chimed in and detailed any problems or successes.

EPG123 can create a xml file for each Hauppauge software tuner on the station with 9999 channels and lock it down (read-only). With the added capability to match and enable/disable any of those channels with epg123, I don't see where DVBLink gives you anything more for guide listings.

So in short, I thought all was needed was to use DVBLink to group multiple Hauppauge software tuners and epg123 could take care of the rest.

THOUGHT: Wasn't there a registry you could change to be able to "install" multiple HD PVR/Colossus software tuners? I verified the added tuner installed, but since I don't really have the hardware, I couldn't verify the setup functioned.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:03 am

All I did with DVBLink was use the Rovi.

I would assume you need to add EPG123 or Schedules Direct as a source within DVBLink. What is the address of the source?

After you get the guide into DVBLink, you go over to WMC and configure DVBLink config. WMC would get the guide from DVBLink, DVBLink would get it from wherever it comes from.

The first time I tried to get the guide into WMC, during my experiments with DVBLink, I blew it up, along with a large piece of the OS. I know one thing for sure.....You do not want WMC to bring the guide in directly when you are using DVBLink. WMC must get the guide from DVBLink

Getting the guide in there was pretty simple, after I figured out what not to do. Rovi was a built in option.

Click on XMLTV and add a source..... What does it ask you for BigJohn?
Attachments
14393_090.jpg

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Thank you all for the very quick and detailed replies.
My version of DBlink is the older one - DVBLink Server 3.2.1 - it has 2 options; MC guide services and XMLTV

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:37 pm

garyan2 wrote:I've never messed with DVBLink, so don't know exactly what it does or how it does it. I just figured it was a configurable software tuner to act as a middle man to whatever you wanted. That being said, I thought epg123 would make thinks a lot easier, but no one with DVBLink ever chimed in and detailed any problems or successes.
I downloaded, installed, and used your software because it quickly fixed the ROVI issues - it's excellent software!
EPG123 can create a xml file for each Hauppauge software tuner on the station with 9999 channels and lock it down (read-only). With the added capability to match and enable/disable any of those channels with epg123, I don't see where DVBLink gives you anything more for guide listings.

So in short, I thought all was needed was to use DVBLink to group multiple Hauppauge software tuners and epg123 could take care of the rest.

THOUGHT: Wasn't there a registry you could change to be able to "install" multiple HD PVR/Colossus software tuners? I verified the added tuner installed, but since I don't really have the hardware, I couldn't verify the setup functioned.
The Hauppauge driver installs fine for 4 tuners - provided you've a motherboard with 4 PCI-e slots (and that was one hell of a challenge a few years back - probably still is today... but that's another episode of 'biography of a WMC'... :) )

When I set up there was no native hauppauge 'tuner'/IR blaster that would support more than one colossus, so what you had to do (and there were a lot of us in the DVBLINK / 1geektool forums at the time...) was install dvblink for colossus from 1geektool. This software added the 'colossus' source to dvblink. Dvblink handles the channels / guide source / merging the tuners (or specific channels if you have certain channels not available on one source or the other...)

Happy to do a virtual meeting/share my MC desktop if you want to have a look around! It's really been quite elegant and effective, until ROVI blew everything up / changed channel names/callsigns and even failed to download data for days/weeks at a time...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:46 am

bigjohn wrote:Happy to do a virtual meeting/share my MC desktop if you want to have a look around! It's really been quite elegant and effective, until ROVI blew everything up / changed channel names/callsigns and even failed to download data for days/weeks at a time...
Appreciate the offer, but gonna have to take a rain check right now. I am currently in Las Vegas and wouldn't trust the hotel Wi-Fi to handle something like this.
- Gary

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:09 am

Aha CES I presume? Looking over all the cool new toys :)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 am

stuartm wrote:Aha CES I presume? Looking over all the cool new toys :)
Oh, is that going on right now? Yah, gotta admit, there's some crazy cool stuff here.
- Gary

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Oh, is that going on right now? Yah, gotta admit, there's some crazy cool stuff here.
I used to get to go to CES.
I remember the year Zenith (yes!) introduced a 'single sheet' 50" LCD tv... I think that was 12 yrs back...

Have fun.
My media center is stable for now - but I would love to revisit this when you're back!

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:00 am

garyan2 wrote:
The real crazy stuff was when the end of CES coincided with "The Other Show". (AES Adult Entertainment Expo) :)

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:42 pm

rmeden wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
The real crazy stuff was when the end of CES coincided with "The Other Show". (AES Adult Entertainment Expo) :)
Yes. Walking down the hall seeing all the hotties followed by hordes slobbering guys...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:03 am

I been missing out.....i got to plan a trip to Vegas.

I think i could learn how to slobber...or at least fake it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:46 am

garyan2 wrote: The real crazy stuff was when the end of CES coincided with "The Other Show". (AES Adult Entertainment Expo) :)
Looks like AES is next week.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/avn-adult- ... 5039679355