WMC keeps trying to record show

ITGuy1024

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC keeps trying to record show

Post by ITGuy1024 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:20 pm

I set wmc to record a show and there was an error "no station available" or something to that affect. I canceled any recordings for that show through the guide and in the scheduled programs but WMC continues to try and record this show. Has anyone else had this happen?

Space

Post by Space » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Did you create a "Series" record (multiple red dots instead of a single red dot) for the show? If so, you need to cancel the Series, not just the individual recording instances.

recorded TV -> view scheduled -> Series -> Sort by Name -> Scroll down to find the Series you want to cancel, select it, then select "Cancel Series".

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:26 am

I looked in there and there is nothing set to record.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:05 am

You didn't answer if it was originally a Series record or a one-off (single red dot) record.

If it was a one-off record, then selecting the episode with the red dot and telling it to not record should be enough to prevent it from being recorded in the future.

In my experience, if you set a one-off record for a given episode of a show, and it is unable to record that episode for any reason, WMC will keep track of that episode and record it in the future, even if it is on a different channel than the one you originally set it to record from. I am not sure how long it continues to try to record the episode (it may be forever), but once it records it (or you tell it not to record once the episode shows up in the guide) it should no longer want to record it.

I know of no way of telling WMC to not record this episode if the episode is not in the current guide (nor do I know of a way of seeing which of these one-off episodes it continues to want to record without it being in the guide).

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:37 am

It was a series. But I have also gone to the series while it's on and removed the record option.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Media Center defaults are (how Microsoft programmed it) if a show didn't record or stopped recording (not manually), it will always try to re-record it if possible.

There was a discussion on the ehome team about this.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Space

Post by Space » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:43 pm

I don't think this is true for Series, only for one-off (single dot) recordings, but correct me if I am wrong.

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:26 pm

So I'm kind of stuck then?

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:27 pm

I think running TV setup again will clear the scheduled recordings. It's like killing the patient to stop the virus, but I think it would stop your problem.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:03 pm

TV setup will not clear scheduled recordings. But it appears there are no Series for this program anyway (at least not ones that are visible).

I am not aware of what could be causing WMC to record a show when you don't have any Series or one-offs scheduled to record that show.

If the show is only airing on a channel that you don't subscribe to, then you can just hide that channel from the guide (since you don't get it anyway) and WMC should not try to record anything from it. Although this is really not getting to the root of the problem.

If I recall correctly, you can go in to the guide, highlight the channel in question, left click or "Info" button on the remote, and then select "Disable channel" or something like that. Once you do this, it should not record that show anymore unless it airs on channels other than the one you disabled.